• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Furniture, furnishings, and interior design

I agree that our priorities are skewed, but I am not sure you are putting things in their proper leagues. To me, something like Ligne Roset is equivalent to designer clothes... in a more easy to swallow category. I think that a $2k leather jacket is just as exorbitant as an $11k couch set! Then of course there is a pure dollar amount factor, which you cannot avoid, no matter how much you try to think in relative terms like percentages. After all, $2k is a somewhat manageable amount to scrounge up - $11k, not so much.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

Have any of you dealt with White on White furniture (mentioned earlier in this thread)?</p>

</p>
      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• bakla
        • Oct 2006

/\ Yeah, I know the owner. The stuff is passable, but I'm kind of a purist. I dealt with them when they still sold original, vintage Danish modern stuff about a decade ago. What do you need to know about them?

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]

Have any of you dealt with White on White furniture (mentioned earlier in this thread)?</P>

</P>

[/quote]</P>

Cas is killin me with his new avatar!</P>
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

[quote user="bakla"]/\ Yeah, I know the owner. The stuff is passable, but I'm kind of a purist. I dealt with them when they still sold original, vintage Danish modern stuff about a decade ago. What do you need to know about them?
            [/quote]</p>

I was just curious how the quality is for their pieces. I don't mind buying some of the replica pieces, especially because I can't afford a real knoll sofa....but just wondering really.</p>

</p>

Albert- lol.Cash money, birds fly in any weatha. </p>
            "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• bakla
              • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]I agree that our priorities are skewed, but I am not sure you are putting things in their proper leagues. To me, something like Ligne Roset is equivalent to designer clothes... in a more easy to swallow category. I think that a $2k leather jacket is just as exorbitant as an $11k couch set! Then of course there is a pure dollar amount factor, which you cannot avoid, no matter how much you try to think in relative terms like percentages. After all, $2k is a somewhat manageable amount to scrounge up - $11k, not so much.
              [/quote]

I totally agree, absolute costs are definitely harder to swallow, several grand is still several grand. Especially so when the purchase is not quite so ongoing in ones' life, unlike the way one lives in their clothes and interacts with them continuously throughout the day. Furniture tends to sit there when you're not on it. But like clothing, furniture lines have their relevant/current stars, and varying price points, and my point is that there are many contemporary lines as well as good designer brands and names whose work is almost the same cost as the clothing we buy, like a jacket will cost as much or more than a lounge chair (and couch sets I would definitely put in the category of higher ticket items like bespoke suits! [66]). I realized how skewed my perception was when I bought a pair of boots two years ago for $800, and for $400 more, I got a custom leather couch, and for $100 less, I got a designer chair from London. The difference in size furniture has from clothing made the disparity more apparent, although one could argue that your foot health in CCP boots is equally if not more important than how your ass feels when you channel surf!

My point is there are designer labels for furnishings that have items that cost as much as our clothing, and are of great quality, both design-wise and production-wise, as well as in terms of industry caché. Moss has pricey options, sure, but they are also some of the leading edge designers (as does the Future Perfect &amp; Matter), but some stores/lines, while expensive, aren't necessarily offering designs that are as current or as relevant. For example, while they have a few pieces here and there (and pieces by popular names like the Bourrellecs and Arik Levy), I liken Ligne Roset and Roche Bobois to Kenzo and Armani - sure they're designer labels, but they're not necessarily my go-to lines for the best of current modern design. And when you start looking at furniture by people like Wanders, Dixon, Levy and other designers making industry news, their work can be found at much more affordable levels, it's just a matter of looking (even DWR stocks some of these designer) and shopping around. Just like we do with our clothing.

In the end, because we speak about clothing all day, I think our tolerances for clothing is just higher. I know I'm guilty of it. It's the same as how I view wardrobe items - I will invest more in coats and shoes, but tend to have lower tolerances in items like shirts. I assume we feel similarly about furniture versus clothing.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

you have a point there. i know i am not nearly as well informed about furniture as i am about fashion. it's one of the reasons i started the thread! i haven't been able to find anything interesting and affordable that I want. I do have a few less hefty items that are not from "designer" furniture stores - mirrors, lamps, my computer desk, etc., but most of my furniture is from the aforementioned stores. I'd love to hear some alternatives? Bo Concept just doesn't cut it for me for some reason.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bakla
                  • Oct 2006

Bo Concept has a nickname among my friends: No Concept. It's knockoff furniture without the elegance of the stuff they ape: bad finishes, clumsy shapes, imbalanced proportions. Even Ikea and West Elm do better jobs of translating higher design for less (although the quality isn't always the best)

I wasn't as informed about furniture until I started having to redecorate and like my interest in fashion, it soon became almost obsessive. I think looking at websites and even shelter magazines for the things you like can help give you a general sense of what's out there, and you'll soon get to recognize names of lines and designers like we recognize the fashion labels. Here are a few more general Furnishings resources. Once you start recognizing brands /lines you like, you can ferret out their individual websites as well. Since you like the more modern furniture, here are a few sites to start off with:
                  <a href="http://www.hivemodern.com" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.hivemodern.com">
                  hivemodern.com</a>
                  <a href="http://www.unicahome.com" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.unicahome.com">nova68.com
                  </a>unicahome.com<a href="http://www.unicahome.com" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.unicahome.com">
                  </a><a href="http://www.ray20.com/" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.ray20.com/">highbrowfurniture.com
                  matter
                  ray20</a>

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I like Unicahome. I want the Aeron chair in executive finish badly. Thanks for the links!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Oh, btw, I've always wanted to say this - it must be a bitch to change light bulbs on this baby.</p>

</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bakla
                        • Oct 2006

Then there's also this baby, Dear Ingo, which I love, but thank goodness I don't have the ceiling height for it...!

Comment

• kira
                          • Mar 2008

not the best pics from me but was walking by Bo Concept a few minutes ago and could not help but take these two pics. kind of fuzzy. but perfect statement. [86][74]</p>

</p>
                          Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• iSuck
                            • Mar 2008

Someone had asked about my floors in the WAYW thread; but, I didn't want to derail that.</P>

I used to have a bunch more pics; but, here is just 1 corner.</P>

</P>

</P>

Turning around...(ignore that I took a crooked picture)</P>

</P>

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

/\ very nice. i'm sold.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ddohnggo
                                • Oct 2006

very nice. my fiancee and i want to get those wire chairs for our new place. </p>

your condo or co-op looks very nice!
                                </p>
                                Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍