Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endersgame
    • Aug 2009

it's factored in a second bank loan on top of your mortgage and car payments while saving money for retirement and your kids tuition..

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
      bestial, either one was just 10" less than the diameter of the table, which almost eclipse each other. i don't have a high ceiling so it's going to look really odd. i feel the ribbon lamp needs height to breath.. in a cramped room, it might look terrible..

i ended up ordering a marcel wanders moooi hang lamp..
      Hi Enders,

Nice dining set -- the trowel legs are one of my favorite, and I think preferable in this case to the eiffel base.

I wanted to show what I did over the table only because it's inexpensive, DIY, flexible (in that it can be easily changed) *and* allows for a great deal of light to permeate the room.

I took a small cylindrical metal bit I found (don't know its original purpose) and painted it with paint w/ inclusions to give it a texture and then turned it into a shade for a suspension lamp. (I know, I know...it's a bit 70s, but whatever.) I use a low-energy, high-wattage bulb from Ikea.

The lamp shade is fixed over a single wire coming from the ceiling (condo restrictions make doing changes to the wiring more expensive than it ought to be) but, fortunately, it happened to be there already.

I'm glad you didn't go for anything too predictable, like the artichoke lamp. I liked the "lzf link suspension (wood verneer ribbon lamp)" shown above and the Jacobson "hotel royal" lamps (a harder lamp to work with your set.) However, the LZF lamp would have engulfed your table, I think. The small scale of my DIY suspension lamp works for the size of the dining space, I think.

A word about the table because it's one of my favorite pieces, but I know nothing about its provenance: it's a 60s Scandinavian table I inherited (sort of). It has two leafs allowing it to change from a 4 seater to an 8. There is a metal took that is attached to the underside that allows the legs, which are hinged and fold into one piece, to be removed within a minute. Very functional, clever and beautiful design.

The credenza is Jean Prouvé, the chairs collected from many (15!) years of buying off eBay -- the aluminum chairs, for example, are not my favorite color, but I bought them both for $700. I decided at some point not to spend money on fresh flowers, so I picked up some twigs on a walk and placed them in jars. They are now dispersed around the apartment. The best thing I've done in 10 years of working on my place in Chicago was to switch to bamboo flooring in '09 (I'm currently not in Chicago but will return after being away for 1.5 years next week). Bamboo flooring is extremely strong, a replenishable resource and cost less to buy/install than a quote I received for cherry floors nine years ago.

If anyone knows anything about the table, do pray tell.

MBD
      Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 02-05-2011, 07:00 PM.
      "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
      It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
      My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
        • Jan 2008

If you're referring to PH "koglen" as the artichoke lamp, as being predictable, could you please explain?. Though it is one of his design that's a bit to elaborate for my liking, it's an interesting study in light breaking.
        Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
        Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

thanks for the suggestions, mbd. i'd be curious to see how your diy light covers the room at night. i might have some trouble with my ceiling lamp as my junction box needs to move 3ft across ceiling studs which makes passing wires over difficult (unless i cut a huge hole to fit arms and shoulders through)

that's a really nice setup you have. i like the mix and match feel of the chairs. the bamboo floors are quite nice too. i am waiting for a carpet install over my old hardwood floors. i prefer wood, but i'm hoping the carpet (short loop with staggered lengths for texture) and a thick pad will solve my drafty floor problem.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
            If you're referring to PH "koglen" as the artichoke lamp, as being predictable, could you please explain?. Though it is one of his design that's a bit to elaborate for my liking, it's an interesting study in light breaking.

Oh no - please don't take it that way B-I. I should articulate myself better. Indeed, it is a great solution for the dispersion of light, but like the Nelson lamps, there have been so many cheap knockoffs (see Ikea) that it has managed to become iconic through the knockoffs, rather than its original design. I don't think many of us (not me, at least) can afford the $50,000 for the glass version!

Because it has gained an iconic status through, unusually, its doppelgänger, you'll see the knock-off in too many retail stores and restaurants that have been quickly and shoddily pulled together. I could hardly suggest that Poul Henningsen wasn't an innovator. No need to get defensive... we in the US, generally, respect the Danish designers deeply!

MBD
            Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 02-05-2011, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
              • Jan 2008

I know sometimes we have a tendency to get a bit defensive
              around here probably because we are passionate about the
              things we discuss, but it was not meant to be defensive, it
              was more out of curiosity if you did find it predictable, and
              in what sense. I do understand what you mean about all
              the imitations and knockoffs.

I did grew up with PH lamps providing light for my little eyes,
              and I'll also die with one, so yes be careful of what you say
              about Poul Henningsen Around me.
              Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                • Oct 2010

Enders, is the carpet install a done deal? I really like having the option of placing thick carpets through the house. Before I had the bamboo, I had berber carpeting, which was hell to tend to. One spilled wine at a dinner party could nearly ruin the night. (well, almost. I'm not *that* bad. I do have a hilarious polaroid taken when I made my guest -- he is also my best friend -- clean my carpet with Scotchguard during a dinner party. It was all amongst friends so it was...sort of ok.) Still the staggered loops with thick pads sounds promising (we require 3 layers in our bldg, which contributes considerably to the cost but makes the apartments essentially soundproof, which is very important to me).

I don't know the configuration of your dining area -- mine happens to be at one end of a very long (27'?) room which is covered on two entire walls with a row of windows allowing for quite a bit (sometimes too much) light. At night, the city lights cast a haunting orange-filtered glow in the room. Nonetheless, at night the street lamps contribute a negligible amount of light, so more lamps are required. It does, however, contribute a nice show.

I would stay away from getting into wiring through the structure of the room via the ceiling if possible. Just sayin'.

Since I'm not currently in Chicago, I couldn't take photos to demonstrate the effectiveness of the hanging lamp. These photos were taken after my move to the East Coast...and I took some of my favorite pieces with me.

This image shows the room as it is lit with only one floor lamp, the hanging lamp and 2 small shelf size lamps. It's not ineffective given the size of the room.

This image shows the details of the DIY lamp when it is lit. This photograph was taken during a phase when I was waking before sunrise so that I could watch the sunrise as I worked at the dining room table.

Naturally, please do show us the room when you have finished putting it together.

MBD

thanks for the suggestions, mbd. i'd be curious to see how your diy light covers the room at night. i might have some trouble with my ceiling lamp as my junction box needs to move 3ft across ceiling studs which makes passing wires over difficult (unless i cut a huge hole to fit arms and shoulders through)

that's a really nice setup you have. i like the mix and match feel of the chairs. the bamboo floors are quite nice too. i am waiting for a carpet install over my old hardwood floors. i prefer wood, but i'm hoping the carpet (short loop with staggered lengths for texture) and a thick pad will solve my drafty floor problem.
                Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 02-05-2011, 06:47 PM. Reason: adding detail

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                  • Oct 2010

One more thing, I know this is super affordable, but have a look here:

The vintage lighting selection of the "store" of Wright Auction House in Chicago.

If you check often, you can get decent deals. I'm sure you can in the auctions, too, but I'm a bit intimidated by the auction format.

MBD

Comment

• endersgame
                    • Aug 2009

if the bamboo flooring is physically attached to the sub-floor, you can install carpet anywhere. say wood in the foyer and dining room, carpet in the living room.

if the bamboo floors are laminate on top of existing flooring, you will need to remove the bamboo flooring to add carpeting.

yes, my carpet is a done deal. we'll see how it holds up to dirt and wear. i know my housekeeper is not looking forward to vacuuming..

my dining area has a physical working space of 10' x 6' with some room for seats to move but it's rather small. beyond this is just walk space to the kitchen and bedroom- so not really usable furniture space. there is no window in this room either. i have to place the junction box off center where the table will be. if not, the lamp will just light the floor. it's doable, just need to carry over a power cable over studs..

you have a great setup mdb, but i feel that sideboard against the wall is a little too tall?

yeah i saw the wright house link you posted before. some great pieces but it's hard to buy large and bulky pieces online with freight shipping and all.

this is a very elegant lamp from their website..

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                      • Oct 2010

if the bamboo flooring is physically attached to the sub-floor, you can install carpet anywhere. say wood in the foyer and dining room, carpet in the living room.

if the bamboo floors are laminate on top of existing flooring, you will need to remove the bamboo flooring to add carpeting.
                      Enders,

Sigh. You know how to cut to the quick and break a heart dontcha?

Yes, I've had an "issue" with the credenza for quite a white. I happened to buy it before I was left the dining table. Still, it would have been too tall for that space...so it ought to properly be blamed on youth (my youth). Evidently, ten or so years ago, I didn't think it was absolutely necessary to measure the thing.

Now, I tell myself that I shouldn't spend xx amount on a credenza, which is hilarious because I impulse buy clothing that costs more. (I've got to remember to do that mental calculation I promised I'd do more often, that is "what is x/y?", with x being article of clothing taunting me at that microsecond and y = chair or desk I've waited years to buy.)

I could, of course, sell it. However, I *love* Prouvé, and it's the only thing I own designed by him. Sigh.

All, any credenzas you've seen recently that have really caught your eye?

yes, my carpet is a done deal. i know my housekeeper is not looking forward to vacuuming..
                      Oh, didn't mean to suggest this may not be the right thing to do for your space. I was speaking from the perspective of someone who *is* the housekeeper of her unit. Heh.

Also, great to know that flooring can be switched out so easily when attached to the sub-flooring...

MBD

Comment

• bestial
                        • Jun 2008

MDB. There's so many lovely credenzas/sideboards out there, old ones and new ones. But for now I'll just do some PR for Sweden and a new studio here who's been breaking grounds recently.

Zweed - Moodi, with changeable fronts. And a clear relation to older scandinavian design.

Regarding the height of your Prouvé, it might be a bit high, but I understand that you want to keep it. If you're not a purist and really want to keep it in it's original state (some people just don't care) you just could cut the legs. It would look really good (and more modern) if you cut them in half or even lower.

Regarding flooring, seems to be a US thing with carpeting. Here everyone would kill for a old hardwood floor (me for example). Gives a nice warm touch. I love wood.
                        Last edited by bestial; 02-07-2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                          • Jan 2008

Yes, wood flooring, and then floor heating. A dream.

It's not just a US thing, it's quite typical for british homes to
                          have carpets all over the floors. All the places I have rented
                          here in London(and up north) had carpeting.
                          I try to get away, as often, to Denmark for some wooden
                          floors under my feet.
                          Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• bestial
                            • Jun 2008

fishbone floor!

I know both you and me (denmark and sweden) have seen lot's of these.

I have a couple of boxes of black coated oak-flooring in the basement which going to be put in this spring.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

just bought 6 Friso Kramer Revolts from the Netherlands.

they will go into storage for the next 7-8 months untill we move. I originally wanted DSM's but my wife was a bit uncertain, so we agreed on these.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• bestial
                                • Jun 2008

That's a cool chair, some resemblance to a school chair, with a technic twist.

What's your wifes opinion on the DSM's? I think they are wonderful, and as we've been talking about before regarding dowel and eiffel shell chairs, the DSM's are really a fresh breath in the Eames ensamble.

Also, I forgot to ask this earlier when I asked about the Parentesi. The bulb for Toio is special made from Flos (or a car workshop?) am I rite? When the bulb break you have to buy a completely new "top/bulb/carlight" or can you open it up and change a halogen or something inside it?

I'm looking around for a good deal on one, cause I feel it's time to make this dream happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎