X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

coincidentally I looked it up once as I meant to get a Toio for our living room a couple of years ago, but got something else instead. its a spotlight that you can find in some stage lighting for example, so it should be possible to find a replacement, though maybe not in a regular household bulb shelf.

edit: looked it up on light11.com and its a PAR56.

regarding the DCM (seems like I wrote DSM before, whoops), my wife said she loves the details and it looks great from some angles, but apparently it doesn't look balanced due to the slightly narrower backrest against the wide seat. she is as picky as me

the Revolt chairs were actually designed for school use, I've been told they were used in nearly all Dutch universities at some point, but now they are relatively hard to come by.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• bestial
      • Jun 2008

I've seen replacement bulbs from Flos at various online stores, but would've been great if it just was a small halogen tube or likewise. I have three lights in my 25 m2 living room right now, but can't get enough of lights, hah.

edit: okey! Thomann (a music store in germany, which I've bought distortion pedals from) has a small selection, http://www.thomann.de/gb/sylvania_pa..._mfl_2000h.htm

You even tricked me into writing DSM, but I understood you meant the DCM chairs. And well.. they do have an angle, that resembles older danish teak chair. I like it, although more in the lounge versio due to it's relaxed feel.

Ah, that's cool. Have you bought them second hand or new?

Comment

• DmD
        • Jul 2010

Beautiful chairs lowrey. Are those the Bakelite version?

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by bestial View Post
          Have you bought them second hand or new?
          old originals from the 50's, they've been reproduced from 2004 but not sure how they compare.

Originally posted by DmD View Post
          Beautiful chairs lowrey. Are those the Bakelite version?
          yea, black bakelite with grey painted frame
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• bestial
            • Jun 2008

That's wonderful. I admire your dedication and will to find these things and get them. I tend to go the easy way and get the reproduced things. Although, more then often when you're looking for dining chairs they come in 6's 8's and I don't have that much room!

Btw. what made you change your mind regarding the Toio, and what did you get instead? I've been thinking about a Logo, but the space reserved for a lamp is better suited for the first one.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
              • Oct 2010

Enders: You should know that I blame you. Looking around for lighting, I convinced myself that my living/dining room wasn't lit well enough. And so I bought this from Wright Now.

After doing my equation (result? lamp = used DRKSDHW jeans), it was a no-brainer.

It might be instructive for you all to know that one must arrange for one's own shipping services, but they help you get that together. And in any case, I plan to drop by and pick it up myself when I'm home.

Bestial: I had no idea that what we in the US know as "parquet" (in my first NYC apt, I had parquet from 1900) is known as "fishbone" floor! I like that much more. Also, white stain is my preferred color for wood flooring - from my drafty old loft in Cambridge, MA:

(I feel a need to explain the embarrassingly large television. My ex was a video game designer. He insisted it was needed for "work.")

As you can see from the images of my dining room, my DCMs are cherry. A warning to those of you considering buying them: the walnut version should be stronger, but the cherry are easy to scratch. One dinner guest with keys in their back pockets, and you'll be left with very permanent and very aggravating marks in the seat. I also have a LCW - it seems that it would be comfortable, but you really can't sit in it and, say, read the paper. (For reading, I use an old Eames aluminum lounge for reading. I paid very little for it from eBay - after all, the midwest of the US was the center for mass manufacture of American mid-century furniture. However, a quick search suggests that they are not so inexpensive these days.)

MBD
              "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
              It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
              My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• bestial
                • Jun 2008

MDB I guess the correct term would be parquet (parquet floor, wood floor potato/pootato ) the arrowlike angle is what we call fishbone.

This is my dining setup for now. One Eames DSR (Vitra), three inherited teak chairs from my grandmother, don't know the producer. The table I've done myself, metal and oak.

Comment

• endersgame
                  • Aug 2009

lol, i'm a bad home furnishings enabler..

for a pair of jeans, i'd say that's a pretty good buy.

mbd, is that your current setup in the little pictures? looks like a different location..

my moooi lamp came in dented, guy was nice to send me another in grey, the color i wanted!

anybody want a dented $500 lamp?

bestial, i really like those hanging bulbs in staggered lengths. that space is tough to work with. from this view, it seems a bit cramped. can it really seat 4 comfortably?
                  Last edited by endersgame; 02-09-2011, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

bestial, I was about to reply that a dimmer wouldn't hurt with 300W or whatever the Toio is, but I suppose you could install one into the cord?

Comment

• bestial
                      • Jun 2008

I didn't want to fill the thread up with buying questions. But I ended up ordering it without the dimmer cause the store I ordered from only had the white version with a dimmer. And yes, I could probably just put one on it myself for a cheaper price then what Flos takes extra for the ones with dimmers.

I just hope the store is legit now, judging by their website they should be.

Edit: Seems like there is a different sockets for the bulbs on the dimmable and non-dimmable. This turned out to be a jungle! :)
                      Last edited by bestial; 02-11-2011, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• bestial
                        • Jun 2008

enders, It's about one meter wider then pictured. "Unfortunately" I need for seats for visitors etc. There's no problem to get in and out from the table.

The lamp is very good when I sit there and work, but of course not something I have on a friday night during dinner, hah.

I have this one standing by the side of the table, the white single row with three shelves

But it's a total mess right now due to some remodeling at home (like a microwave and puncher), so I didn't want to take a photo that showed it.
                        Last edited by bestial; 02-11-2011, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by bestial View Post
                          But it's a total mess right now due to some remodeling at home (like a microwave and puncher), so I didn't want to take a photo that showed it.
                          tell me about it. i've been painting and plastering and there's a blanket of dust on everything...

back on the subject of lighting, i find this is the hardest aspect of the house to furnish. you have no idea how it's going to react to the room until you actually buy it and set it up. which type of bulb you use and how the light is directed are all factors to consider..

i ordered a poulsen ph5 lamp today. this is for the entryway to the apt..

also considering this credenza..

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

^^ i saw the entire collection and the picture you posted is the best looking piece. there's something about it that doesn't appeal to me. very thick and bottom heavy is the first thing that comes to mind. but they look very well made..

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                              tell me about it. i've been painting and plastering and there's a blanket of dust on everything...

back on the subject of lighting, i find this is the hardest aspect of the house to furnish. you have no idea how it's going to react to the room until you actually buy it and set it up. which type of bulb you use and how the light is directed are all factors to consider..

i ordered a poulsen ph5 lamp today. this is for the entryway to the apt..
                              Shouldn't come as a surprise, I approve your lighting choice.
                              I have mostly seen the ph5 in a dining setting, so it would be
                              interesting to see how it works out in your entryway.

At some point, I need the Bestlite BL1 and BL2.

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                              Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• endersgame
                                • Aug 2009

^^ yep, thanks for the suggestion. it very well could work over the dining table. i'm not yet sold on the moooi.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎