X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mass
    • Sep 2006

Re: Furniture, furnishings, and interior design

by the way i find ikea's 'billy' bookshelves are actually really nice, especially for the price.

does anyone know where i can find a light similar to these:

there's one in clockwork orange which is basically a big concave metal disc with just a lightbulb in the middle. i guess it would be easy enough to make yourself though.

check it out turned on here: http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_di.../aco_sate0.jpg

also in lars von trier's element of crime there are these lights that basically look like big spheres that you just plug in. can't find a picture of it... not sure if there's a name for it either, but it's basically a sphere with a flat bottom (of course)...

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="mass"]by the way i find ikea's 'billy' bookshelves are actually really nice, especially for the price.

does anyone know where i can find a light similar to these:

there's one in clockwork orange which is basically a big concave metal disc with just a lightbulb in the middle. i guess it would be easy enough to make yourself though.

check it out turned on here: http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_di.../aco_sate0.jpg

also in lars von trier's element of crime there are these lights that basically look like big spheres that you just plug in. can't find a picture of it... not sure if there's a name for it either, but it's basically a sphere with a flat bottom (of course)...[/quote]</p>

The only thing furniturewise I like out of Ikea are Lack shelves. I've always had them, and they look absolutely identical to something you pay 10-20 times more for in high end stores.</p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Gee, of course right after I buy something, a good company has a once-in-a-blue-moon sample sale. Fark.</p>

Label: FontanaArte

Deal: Up to 70% off furniture, lighting and other home goods; RSVP recommended

When/Where: Sunday June 10th from 11am?3pm. 64 Moore St at Hudson St (212-353-1383).
        </p>
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

Another retarded decoration question: would you purchase a coffee table that is higher (say 16") than the furniture (12"=some kind of elongated stand where your flat panel stands)? I feel the height of the flat panel and the possible add-on of a vase would compensate but I'll only know for sure when I get the articles.
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]Another retarded decoration question: would you purchase a coffee table that is higher (say 16") than the furniture (12"=some kind of elongated stand where your flat panel stands)? I feel the height of the flat panel and the possible add-on of a vase would compensate but I'll only know for sure when I get the articles.[/quote]</p>

Aren't you going to trip over the wires? Where will the table stand?</p>

I think it depends. I don't have a coffee table (although I wish I could put one, just have too many good coffee table books), but I think I'd like it to be on the level of where the sofa cushion ends. It's just if you are laying on the sofa, you don't want your view obstructed by the things that stand on the coffee table (at least I wouldn't).
            </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Fuuma"]Another retarded decoration question: would you purchase a coffee table that is higher (say 16") than the furniture (12"=some kind of elongated stand where your flat panel stands)? I feel the height of the flat panel and the possible add-on of a vase would compensate but I'll only know for sure when I get the articles.[/quote]</P>

Aren't you going to trip over the wires? Where will the table stand?</P>

I think it depends. I don't have a coffee table (although I wish I could put one, just have too many good coffee table books), but I think I'd like it to be on the level of where the sofa cushion ends. It's just if you are laying on the sofa, you don't want your view obstructed by the things that stand on the coffee table (at least I wouldn't).
              </P>

[/quote]</P>

The sofa (sitting height)and coffee table are the same height, which is ideal.I'm just saying the furniture where my audiovisual equipment will be located (so a couple of feet away from sofa+table) will be lower (only 12" high, 73" long and say 24" wide) than my sofa and table, which could create some sort of averse effect that I hope will be compensated by the flatscreen+stand and say a vase or other elongating ornament. I just don't want it to look like sofa (high), coffee table (medium), audiovisual furniture (low), which could, IMHO look stupid. Those thing are somewhat difficult to evaluate in the abstract and I've yet to find a "how to size you coffee table and sofa VS your TV and stuff" website so I was looking for some feedback on the matter.</P>

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Oh, I see. I did not understand you at first. I think it's fine, if it's slightly lower. Like you said, the TV will come with a stand, so that should work out. As long as the speakers are higher, you should be fine. Maybe you can post a picture of your room?</p>

My A/V rack starts all the way down from the floor and stacks up pretty high. BTW, if you ever look for good A/V furniture - Bello' (formerly known as Bello'getti) is the way to go.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

A great thread that I've neglected reading about and learning from!</P>

Where is Blackforest? I've been waiting for Concreteweaponry.com to go up so that we can see his furniture designs.</P>

Along with choosing furniture, does anyone on here have experience creating pieces on their own? Basic things like using plaster of paris/concrete to create rectangular based shapes is something I'd love to learn about if anyone knows anything about it.</P>
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

This is not bad ($129, free shipping). I am taken with the LR one though - the shape is more unusual than the Artemide one, that has been knocked off so many times (including this one). I'll have to go check it out in person - thanks, Casius!</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

I got it today - it looks great, like a real deal, not like el-cheapo Ikea stuff. Takes about 10min to put together. I definitely recommend, and now I am thinking to order a table one and give my Ikea one away.</p>

Casius, I did check out the Ligne Roset lamp, and it's nice, but major $$$.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                      • Dec 2006

Faust, I like the one you chose. Looks more practical than the Ligne Roset one and the fact you saved money is always a good thing! We need to have a thread on interior design or something, I'm curious what some of the sz'ers dwellings look like.
                      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• mass
                        • Sep 2006

found this:

thought this lamp was interesting too, 'titanic':

more here:

http://www.viablelondon.com/downloads.html

sorry for the big pictures!

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

I really like their shoe-storing device and the Mekong.

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

A big pile of those black cubes with the lights in them would look sort of cool.
                            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

I dig that lamp! I'm afraid to know the prices though, anyone happen to know?
                              "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• bakla
                                • Oct 2006

[quote user="Casius"]I dig that lamp! I'm afraid to know the prices though, anyone happen to know?[/quote]

</p>

I don't think they're in production yet. I spoke with the Viable designers at the last ICFF and the stuff they were featuring over a year ago didn't have firm pricing. It's hard to get manufacturing, so I wonder if most of these items on their site are just prototypes... they were showcasing a less expensive line of modular home furnishings last month that were cute, but ultimately not as compelling as their larger press pieces.
                                </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎