no foam

Comment

• MikeN
        • Nov 2007

yes, and I want to sell it!

Comment

• MikeN
          • Nov 2007

Kjaerholm right? It's gorgeous, out of my budget, most likely.

Comment

• aussy
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Oh, I see. I think we've had this discussion before, but I, personally, couldn't care less for all this modernist furniture like le corbusier chases and barcelona chairs, etc. They have become such terrible cliches - dentist offices are chuckful of that stuff now, and frankly, none of them are comfortable or beautiful, IMHO.
            Originally posted by Dane View Post
            [The rest, as mentioned, has all become a huge cliche and frankly, a bit embarrassing to see.]
            Speaking of which, about to pick up a pair of Mart Stam Cantilever design chairs for cheap to accompany my previously mentioned moving-friend-gifted BARCELONA chair I do like the design, though I mostly went this route because the chair was free

Still, I think that'll satisfy my desires for cold, Bauhaus furnishings. I'm building my living space from scratch. Think I might fill the rest with some DIY industrial stuff and various things from my travels in Egypt/Morocco (natural materials, browns). Thoughts?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Barcelona chair is fucking ugly and uncomfortable. It's the Rick Owens sneaker of the furniture industry.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

That's even uglier.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

I'll sit on this work of art all day long:

Single piece of steel, cut and bent to create legs, crossbeam supports and sides. The perfect example of pushing your basic materials to the next level.

The classics are the classics for sure such as the Barcelona chair etc. but I think they've lost their uniqueness within a house as they've been essentially taken over in the corporate/museum setting. Although a single, well worn Barcelona chair is a nice touch as has been mentioned here before.
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• aussy
                    • Jul 2011

Barcelona chair is fucking ugly and uncomfortable. It's the Rick Owens sneaker of the furniture industry.
                    I think its comfortable one you sit down. The process of sitting is a bit unpleasant. The height of the chair plus the way that front cross beam hits the back of your legs...yeah...

Whats the seat itself made out of, Chinorlz? Rope? Steel wires? I agree. The Barcelona chair itself and, as you said, by itself to me is still special. Its those whole setups of Barcelona benches or whatever in museums etc. that just kind of wash over me. I can't really appreciate their design anymore because of their standardized and played out application. Maybe I haven't been in enough corporate settings where the chair is used. I'm thankful for that!

Comment

• fncyths
                      • Apr 2010

little known tid bit about the Barcelona chair:

It was actually designed by a woman named Lilly Reich in collaboration with Mies van der Rohe. Lilly as well as Eileen Gray were amazing female designers and architects that worked for Mies that are often over looked due to the still very present discrimination towards women in the field at that time.

Check their work out. They both had a great eye respectively.
                      Originally posted by Shucks
                      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                      Originally posted by interest1
                      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• laughed
                        • Jul 2009

[QUOTE=swami;370263]
                        My first DIY project.

after

i know what the books are on the bottom but what is that on the top shelf?

Comment

• Marko
                          • Jul 2009

Looks like Sarah Moon, 12345.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ Bingo. And I just came back from her show, opening night. Incredible...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by aussy View Post
                              I think its comfortable one you sit down. The process of sitting is a bit unpleasant. The height of the chair plus the way that front cross beam hits the back of your legs...yeah...

Whats the seat itself made out of, Chinorlz? Rope? Steel wires? I agree. The Barcelona chair itself and, as you said, by itself to me is still special. Its those whole setups of Barcelona benches or whatever in museums etc. that just kind of wash over me. I can't really appreciate their design anymore because of their standardized and played out application. Maybe I haven't been in enough corporate settings where the chair is used. I'm thankful for that!
                              Ooops, I just realized that I meant to write that about LC3. Barcelona is alright. But, anyway, like mentioned before, I am mostly referring to the uncomfortable (to me) feeling of seating on leather furniture.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laughed
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Marko View Post
                                Looks like Sarah Moon, 12345.
                                good call. ughhhhh....i need so many books. and always the pricey ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎