X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Here's the chair I liked (though the one i looked at was darker):

I don't know, it's the best I've found, but it costs too much given that I just like it.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• fncyths
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
      Here's the chair I liked (though the one i looked at was darker):

I don't know, it's the best I've found, but it costs too much given that I just like it.
      That's a cool chair. I'd say save up and get what you want.

If you're open to other designs that stray away from the wood vibe, the Panton chair has a similar shape for what you're going for. And it's easy on the wallet too:

Wright has some cool chairs up as well. Check out the auction houses. Just like all the sales that are going on in retail right now, they're cleaning out as well:

Shop Seating at Wright Now. A platform for exploration and discovery, Wright Now features a thoughtful selection of high quality, stylish and wonderful works all available for immediate purchase.

I really want the PIERRE JEANNERET dining chair set from the Chandigarh series but since the country of India is trying to "reclaim" these chairs and at auction they'll probably bring over $20k, I'll have to continue eating standing up

Originally posted by Shucks
      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
      Originally posted by interest1
      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Vanna
        • May 2008

Thats really nice, Faust. I'm actually about to make a new desk and thats exactly the kind of wood I'd like to use. Where did you find it?

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        My first DIY project. I got this console table made of reclaimed wood and metal. The wood was pretty raw, so I waxed it. Now it looks great, although you can't tell much difference from these pictures

I am thinking if giving it another coat of wax will make it darker, which would be nice.

before

after

process

finished
        Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

I was looking for metal wire chairs that would be an alternative to the (pricey) Bertoia ones, and came across these:

Pastoe SM05 by Cees Braakman

These look pretty cool, but I couldn't find a single online retailer.. anyone seen these in person, or have an idea what the price range is?

edit: thanks to a helpful sz'er, just found out that its in the €250-300 range, which is definitely more appealing than the €800 price tag on a Bertoia.....
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• wedjat
            • Jan 2011

they are cool. saw the reissue in a store for around 400 euro.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Vanna View Post
              Thats really nice, Faust. I'm actually about to make a new desk and thats exactly the kind of wood I'd like to use. Where did you find it?
              Sorry I missed your post somehow. I bought the table on Craigslist actually. I just waxed its surface.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Vanna
                • May 2008

^No worries, Faust. Thanks for the response. It's really nice wood. Can't seem to find anything like it so might just go for something via Home Depot.
                Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• MikeN
                  • Nov 2007

Vanna, I just ordered a slab of wood from here: http://www.allmynetwork.com/untitled1.html

I'm going to pick it up in PA tomorrow. Beware the website is insane.

Comment

• Vanna
                    • May 2008

^That's exactly what I was looking for, Mike. The only thing is, I don't know how to drive so I wouldn't be able to pick up. I bet delivery is insane, if they even offer it. Are the prices reasonable?
                    Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• MikeN
                      • Nov 2007

Yeah really reasonable. I'm getting a 100lbs piece of wood and he estimated that it would cost $100 to ship it. I'm just going to get a zipcar to go pick it up though.

Comment

• Vanna
                        • May 2008

^Oh thats actually not bad at all. Thanks for the link, Mike. Im definitely gonna give them a call.
                        Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• darkbydesign
                          • Sep 2010

So I arrive Monday in Manhattan and have to guy furniture from scratch which is a personal war between destroying my bank account or hunting hard.

Anyhow, for someone who actually likes the color orange, is this too much?? I typically use black, orange, red, brown, black, white with furniture.

Last edited by darkbydesign; 05-31-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

in all honesty, that looks horrendous, and thats as nicely put as possible
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• darkbydesign
                              • Sep 2010

LOL. I like the sectional aspect, but figured that'd be the general consensus. :-) Thanks though. I'll stick with the standard black/red/white I usually go for, but I've been trying to step outside of that box a little without destroying the bank.

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

Not saying that orange in general wouldn't work in the right context, though personally I don't like it, but here its the combination of colour (looks washed out at least in the pictures), material (looks plasticy) and shape (all sorts of triangular and crooked) that makes it really bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎