X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Yeah, you need to blacken the steel, which from what I gather is a pain in the ass to do.

BTW, I am now totally in love with Lumina Daphine thanks to you. I just ordered the desk lamp and looking to order the floor lamp, just don't know where from. It's August and everyone is on vacation...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

actually I think I just learned something new.. apparently hot rolled steel looks like this as the rolling process result in mill scale forming on the top of the sheets. it gives a blackened look and protects the surface, but in the end its usually removed before the metal is put to use.

now I at least know what to look for next time!
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Aska
        • Feb 2013

you can use gun black, its the liquid you use to blacken and protect guns, gives a really deep black finnish. Otherwise you can heat up the sheet till it turns red and apply flax seed oil for protection and more intense black, gives a more industrial and raw finnish.

Comment

• fncyths
          • Apr 2010

faust, I'm calling you out bro - that crate and barrel pic is shit man

brutalist design on the cheap :

- paul evans -

Originally posted by Shucks
          it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
          Originally posted by interest1
          I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Aska View Post
            you can use gun black, its the liquid you use to blacken and protect guns, gives a really deep black finnish. Otherwise you can heat up the sheet till it turns red and apply flax seed oil for protection and more intense black, gives a more industrial and raw finnish.
            I tried using heat and oil, but had trouble getting a larger sheet hot enough. I don't think the result will be good if you apply just one area at a time.

gun black I haven't tried. I found some product specifically for blackening, but it ended up rusting the steel, I think it was intended for some other metals.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Aska
              • Feb 2013

you have to heat up the whole sheet at the same time with a gas torch model XL then I usually just drop the whole sheet in a container filled with the oil that fits the sheet, let it sit until it cooled down then just wipe of excessive oil.

If you go for gun-black(sometimes called gun-blue) try to find an industrial one not the hobby products out there. Its good to sandblast or polish the surface first, then dip the whole sheet at once to prevent a grading in the colour.

Comment

• bestial
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                BTW, I am now totally in love with Lumina Daphine thanks to you. I just ordered the desk lamp and looking to order the floor lamp,
                It's a great lamp – and I don't want to put you off or anything, but have any of you who owns it had any trouble with the dimmer sometimes failing to light up? I've had a couple of hiccups with mine, but for now it's working fine.

Regarding the hot rolled steel – wouldn't it be possible to buy it directly from a local manufacturer or something. I enjoy Askas descriptions on how to blacken the steel, but I get the feeling it might bothersome to do at home – you work with this kinda things?

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post

Done. I'll post pictures once it's done.
                  If you play your cards right, you can tell everyone they came from Saville Row.
                  sain't

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by bestial View Post
                    Regarding the hot rolled steel – wouldn't it be possible to buy it directly from a local manufacturer or something. I enjoy Askas descriptions on how to blacken the steel, but I get the feeling it might bothersome to do at home – you work with this kinda things?
                    Yea I imagine it would be possible to find it, I just didn't know what to ask for before.

heating up and dipping in oil sounds simple in theory but for anything large (for example a sheet for a table top), I don't see it as doable myself.

Comment

• bestial
                      • Jun 2008

Reading the description of the table it says something about polyurethane topcoat, I guess this is to hold the black (and oil?) in place. Wonder how this reacts to heat from, say, a cup of coffee or something. I'm just thinking of old danish teak tables which always gets circles – and I'm no fan of coasters.

But it sounds like a fun experiment.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

From what I read, on hot rolled steel the black tone isn't cause by oil but mill scale, which is basically iron oxide. But yea, the polyurethane sounds like a varnish / clear coat to protect it

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Also looking for a desk. So far the best one I've found (in terms of looks/cost ratio) is the USM Modular one in dark gray laminate. Any other ideas?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                            • Apr 2010

For Modular furnishings USM is on point. If you don't want to fuss I'd go that route. The next level up would be Vitsoe. They have cool modular shelving / table options.

Though if you do like fussing, I always enjoy perusing craigslist for vintage architectural gems (tables, desks, instruments, etc.) Also hommedeguerre seems pretty thrifty about whipping up shelving and tables from raw materials....

Not sure if it's your vibe, but they're always tanker desks and tables around too.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I've been on Craigslist like fly on shit - no dice yet and I really, really wish CL would crack down on keyword abuse. It makes the whole experience dispiriting.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                                • Apr 2010

get the cPro app for you iphone. You can plug in search keywords and then It'll notify you when what you're looking for pops up.

first come, first serve

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎