• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Re: Furniture, furnishings, and interior design

<P mce_keep="true"></P>

some metal shop / blacksmithshould be able to do it, there are machines used specifically to bend pipes and such, so I'd assume its done in a similar way.</P>
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Albert, start here. Maybe they can help.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Thanks guys for all the info (and the site Faust... what a cool site!)!!!</P>

Wire.Artist, the usage of polystyrene balls is ingenius. I may have to incorporate them or some other space-filling component to lighten the load. Something as simple as empty aluminum cans I know have been used in wall constructions for various small project houses.</P>

Thank you for your kind offer. I may just hit you up for information once I do this project... which will likely be this summer.</P>
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Piffen
          • Aug 2007

A friend of mine is actually building a bench in concrete/wood right now.. So I suppose I could ask him about how he gets to it if you wan't, not that I think there will beso many tricks to share though. But let me know if you'd like to get some input on a sort of similar project and I'll see what he has to say. :)

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I walked into Artemide, thinking whether or not I should treat myself to a Tolomeo desk lamp, and for some reason I think I fell out of love with it [72]
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Piffen"]A friend of mine is actually building a bench in concrete/wood right now.. So I suppose I could ask him about how he gets to it if you wan't, not that I think there will beso many tricks to share though. But let me know if you'd like to get some input on a sort of similar project and I'll see what he has to say. :)[/quote]</P>

Thanks Piffen! No worries about bothering your friend... I'll figure things out this summer... plenty of time until then :)</P>

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Piffen
                • Aug 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

[quote user="Piffen"]A friend of mine is actually building a bench in concrete/wood right now.. So I suppose I could ask him about how he gets to it if you wan't, not that I think there will beso many tricks to share though. But let me know if you'd like to get some input on a sort of similar project and I'll see what he has to say. :)[/quote]</P>

Thanks Piffen! No worries about bothering your friend... I'll figure things out this summer... plenty of time until then :)</P>

[/quote]</P>

Haha, my englishis soooo sharp.. "if you wan't[...]" [74]</P>

Please feel free to ask, I'm just not sure how much help he'll be able to provide.. [75]</P>

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

No worries Piffen :)</P>

and thanks again my friend. This project will go on the shelf for a little bit before I start on it in a few months....</P>

Comment

• whatisit
                    • Dec 2007

This is a pretty neat cat scratcher I found on Design*Sponge. It's like a all purpose kitty shelf. =) Check it out here: http://www.designspongeonline.com/

Comment

• outline
                      • Jan 2008

so whr can you buy this sponge and that bookshelf on the right?

Comment

• ddohnggo
                        • Oct 2006

anyone know of good furniture stores in nyc? i know of design within reach and coconut company. any other highly recommended places?
                        Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• kira
                          • Mar 2008

[quote user="ddohnggo"]anyone know of good furniture stores in nyc? i know of design within reach and coconut company. any other highly recommended places?
                          [/quote]</p>

</p>

There are a ton of furniture places between 7th ave and 6th ave, going from about 15th or 16th up to maybe 18th or 19th...around there. Lots of little boutiques and there is also a big one on 7th at 16th? the name escapes me at the moment but walk by it everyday so will look and let you know.</p>
                          Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Re: Furniture, furnishings, and interior design

Apt, Greene St</p>

Gus, 18th St</p>

Conran, 59th St</p>

Lightforms, 24th St</p>

Dune, Franklin St</p>

That covers a pretty wide range of styles and types. What are you looking for?</p>

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Joey, what do you have in mind? The problem is the exorbitant prices good furniture costs. But, if you just want to go look to get some ideas:</p>

on Wooster/Houston - Ligne Roset, and Cappellini across the street. Next block over on Greene/Houston is Moss, of course. If you walk down Wooster, there are a few more excellent stores, but the names escape me. On 30something/Madison is Roche Bobois and near it DDC Domus. Have fun, and don't look at prices.</p>

xadam - how is Conran? Never been to the NYC store, but the London store is fun.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bakla
                                • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Joey, what do you have in mind? The problem is the exorbitant prices good furniture costs. But, if you just want to go look to get some ideas:</p>

on Wooster/Houston - Ligne Roset, and Cappellini across the street. Next block over on Greene/Houston is Moss, of course. If you walk down Wooster, there are a few more excellent stores, but the names escape me. On 30something/Madison is Roche Bobois and near it DDC Domus. Have fun, and don't look at prices.</p>

xadam - how is Conran? Never been to the NYC store, but the London store is fun.</p>[/quote]

Conran is great - there's a range of things in all prices, as always, but the nicer things are invariably costlier. I like both the NYC and London store, but love the NYC store because it offers a constantly updated range locally.

I'd also advise visiting ABC Carpet &amp; Home on 17th Street/Broadway - they have vintage pieces from Las Venus, as well as modern things from Dune and the first-ever Tom Dixon store in the US, not to mention a Mitchel Gold store that is more mid-style, but can offer some great pieces nevertheless.

But I find it curious that we can say furniture would be exorbitant when many high-end chairs and even some sofas (Room &amp; Board makes some really great ones you can customize to specif you choose carefully, as well as some really great modern classics like the Goetz sofa) for less than full-price CCP or Rick Owens. I seriously think our priorities are rather skewed here![86] I have a great leather Koi chair that costs $1500, but an equally fab R&amp;B leather sofa that cost $1200, but I mixed it in with some chairs and vintage finds that range anywhere from $400 to $15. The best bet is to find the look you like, and then shop around. There are invariably less expensive versions around, and some at excellent values for the quality. [51]

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎