Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloak S/S 07

Default Cloak S/S 07

It's slowly growing on me, however, like most things, I need to see it in person.

Default Re: Cloak S/S 07

It definitely isn't growing on me, and I took an extra day to look it over.

The fabrics, the cut, the presentation--I think it looks fucking awful. At a time when I know they really need to move product, maybe he was trying to make something more accessible.. but this seems like a step backwards, and a step away from the look that the loyal customers love. I'm not getting what he's trying to do here.

Also, I'd say about half the looks on the runway are plain boring, and that's never a good sign. Seriously, wtf:

Have they been doing badly in sales?

You're right
    about the presentation. Most are pretty boring in themselves, but
    I'm going to try and have faith in Cloak here and say there are a few
    decent pieces that can be salvaged from the collection. As a fan
    of the dark gothic and military influences of the past collections, I'd
    say I'm disappointed. A lot of this could have easily fit into
    his earlier collections, like this from 2002.

I agree... the military styling is lacking in this collection thus far... but the footwear looks like an improvement over the weird leather/suede combos he used before that made the shoes look so so cheap (and the bags too! god they looked cheap!)
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

i love the side-laced shoes! overall though, like many, i'm a bit dissapointed. i think it's quite boring.

very unimpressive. what are they thinking over at cloak? has everyone left already?

Yeah i definetely see some raf influence with the zipper jacketsand matallic pants... im also not impressed with the collection although i still think that cloak does the perfect skinny pant for normal size people (and that is still apparent in a few of the looks from this collection)

Hmm, Cloak is my favorite brand, but with this collection I think I may have to replace "is" with "was".

While I love the old Cloak military aesthetic, I also understand the need to 'move on' design wise and innovate, but this is not innovation. If anything, this is a step sideways in concept and in execution...it seems to be a a giant step back. The thing I liked about Cloak so much was that the military style was so well executed and that there were so many great details. It all work together............and damn it, it looked great.

The new collection does not seem to have any of those great details and I totally agree on the Raf Simons influence. I'm just disapointed. Seeing Cloak in store was what got me interested in fashion and it has been my favorite brand. There is no item that I have seen from this collection that I might want and alot of the execution just seems half-assed.

I am hoping that the translation from runway to store will result in me liking some of the items...and I hope next season is better.

wonder why they suddenly decided to use shiny fabrics. or maybe they have been, i haven't really been following cloak lately. but it's a bad move nonetheless.

I'm disappointed, the lastAW collection was much better...

It's abandon ship for me, the boots I'm willing to see it up close if I like it or not. I do believe you can still do something cool with the military style aesthetic. This new collection doesn't have any indication of that. I have heard that they expanded so much so fast thatthe effects are the needto recover financially.

It's what happens when GQ blows you up. I saw in one issue a
    guide to buying pieces of a suit seperately. They listed
    something like Brooks Brothers, Banana Republic, then Cloak.
    Cloak?! Come on, that doesn't even make sense in that
    category.

The first thing that struck my mind scrolling through the images was Raf, gone rather horribly wrong. I really would not know this was Cloak had I just looked at the pictures.

Very disappointing - and if the poor level of garment quality control continues, I really can't see what there is to look forward to.. except for perhaps the boots - and next season.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

It's really bad. It's like he hired someone else to do it. I don't like it when a designer does something and than does something completely utterly unrelated. I would not mind it if I could still discern Cloak in it. I think that a designer is known for his STYLE, that is his way of doing things that are discernible. Even someone like McQueen who can do one thing one season and a completely different one the next season will still have a discernible signature. Can anyone discern Cloak here?

Another thing - "Cloak" is about tailoring. Look at the Cloak crest carefully, it has the artisanal tailoring signs such as thimble and cissors. Alex has mentioned that tailoring is the underlying theme of his collections. I don't see any of it, at least not from the pictures.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I don't think this collection is as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I admit it is missing some of the wow factor of previous collections. It's like he streamlined the look, paired down the military details and layering and went for a more concise statement, but by doing this it did lose some of it's pop! I like the cap sleeves and funnel necks on the shirts, they look interesting, but I do realize they also look very Raf. I think some of the jackets look really nice, like the black one with the parachute thing tied around it, and the shiny grey 5 button one that Mathias is wearing. It still looks very Cloak to me, but maybe Cloak "light". The pants are strange though, I think it's a combination of light fabrics, cut very skinny on models that aren't rail thin that makes theem look a little like leggings. In general, I never like any S/S collections as much though. Especially with a brand like cloak, which is very dark and relies on tailored pieces, jackets, hoodies and layering for the look, it may be difficult to translate that aesthetic for warm weather. In the past, his S/S shows haven't been very "springy" at all, so maybe he tried to lighten this collection up in the spirit of the season and that's where his misstep was.

[quote user="casem83"]I don't think this collection is as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I admit it is missing some of the wow factor of previous collections. It's like he streamlined the look, paired down the military details and layering and went for a more concise statement, but by doing this it did lose some of it's pop! I like the cap sleeves and funnel necks on the shirts, they look interesting, but I do realize they also look very Raf. I think some of the jackets look really nice, like the black one with the parachute thing tied around it, and the shiny grey 5 button one that Mathias is wearing. It still looks very Cloak to me, but maybe Cloak "light". The pants are strange though, I think it's a combination of light fabrics, cut very skinny on models that aren't rail thin that makes theem look a little like leggings. In general, I never like any S/S collections as much though. Especially with a brand like cloak, which is very dark and relies on tailored pieces, jackets, hoodies and layering for the look, it may be difficult to translate that aesthetic for warm weather. In the past, his S/S shows haven't been very "springy" at all, so maybe he tried to lighten this collection up in the spirit of the season and that's where his misstep was.[/quote]

I wonder if you meant to say that his previous SS shows weren't "summery," because they are definitely "springy" if we are talking in terms of temperature. His lightweight cotton/cashmere sweaters and sleevless hoodies were excellent, and so were his tailored shirts, jeans, pants and light jackets. This is way too plain. Where are the DETAILS? A lot of it is something I'd expect from Raf for Jil Sander. [:'(] Anyway, the final test will be seeing this in stores. I wonder if Alex is already thinking that he will be able to ride it out on jeans and tshirts. I don't think he's there quite yet.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I know that Barney's sent back all their unsold jeans to Cloak NY, instead of putting them on sale, "because they are a Cloak staple now and they won't be selling them on sale" (this is what I was told, at least). Still, there's no way they can float a business on the lower-cost items if they are taking major hits on the expensive outwear, leather, etc.

I looked at this collection again and I still think it sucks. I wouldn't have known it was Cloak if you'd shown it to me blindly; I'm not sure who I would have guessed, I probably would have assumed it was someone I was unfamiliar with, because it has echoes of a lot of different designers and not a particularly cohesive feel, and it certainly doesn't feel like it is an outgrowth of the Cloak aesthetic.

You're right that with the light jackets and layers in his S/S collections would work well for spring temperature wise, I guess I said "springy" because I associate spring more with light and bright colors that don't seem very Cloak. But yea, I agree it is a bit plain. The plaids are growing on me though, I've never really been a plaid fan, but I especially like the vest that wraps around and ties, I also really like the red cap sleeved button up. I've got the polo from this S/S that kind of has cap sleeves (I'm wearing it right now!) and it makes my arms look sexy, so I'm going to have to get more haha.

Hey Cloak Fans

I myself am a huge Cloak fan and have been supporting them since 2003. I have a few one-of-a kind actual runway Cloak pieces from several seasons that didn't make it into production ifanyone's interested. All pieces were done in their Runway/Sample size which is small. I'm actually close friends with Alexandre and their part-time graphic designer. I designed their logo and I do their tees and other misc. stuff. Anyway, if anyone's interested hit me up and I'll send pics. Also these pieces were all hand-sewn by the man himself with better than final production materials. Being done by hand also means excellent construction.

L