X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Re: Cloak S/S 07

I don't think this collection is as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I admit it is missing some of the wow factor of previous collections. It's like he streamlined the look, paired down the military details and layering and went for a more concise statement, but by doing this it did lose some of it's pop! I like the cap sleeves and funnel necks on the shirts, they look interesting, but I do realize they also look very Raf. I think some of the jackets look really nice, like the black one with the parachute thing tied around it, and the shiny grey 5 button one that Mathias is wearing. It still looks very Cloak to me, but maybe Cloak "light". The pants are strange though, I think it's a combination of light fabrics, cut very skinny on models that aren't rail thin that makes theem look a little like leggings. In general, I never like any S/S collections as much though. Especially with a brand like cloak, which is very dark and relies on tailored pieces, jackets, hoodies and layering for the look, it may be difficult to translate that aesthetic for warm weather. In the past, his S/S shows haven't been very "springy" at all, so maybe he tried to lighten this collection up in the spirit of the season and that's where his misstep was.
    music

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="casem83"]I don't think this collection is as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I admit it is missing some of the wow factor of previous collections. It's like he streamlined the look, paired down the military details and layering and went for a more concise statement, but by doing this it did lose some of it's pop! I like the cap sleeves and funnel necks on the shirts, they look interesting, but I do realize they also look very Raf. I think some of the jackets look really nice, like the black one with the parachute thing tied around it, and the shiny grey 5 button one that Mathias is wearing. It still looks very Cloak to me, but maybe Cloak "light". The pants are strange though, I think it's a combination of light fabrics, cut very skinny on models that aren't rail thin that makes theem look a little like leggings. In general, I never like any S/S collections as much though. Especially with a brand like cloak, which is very dark and relies on tailored pieces, jackets, hoodies and layering for the look, it may be difficult to translate that aesthetic for warm weather. In the past, his S/S shows haven't been very "springy" at all, so maybe he tried to lighten this collection up in the spirit of the season and that's where his misstep was.[/quote]

I wonder if you meant to say that his previous SS shows weren't "summery," because they are definitely "springy" if we are talking in terms of temperature. His lightweight cotton/cashmere sweaters and sleevless hoodies were excellent, and so were his tailored shirts, jeans, pants and light jackets. This is way too plain. Where are the DETAILS? A lot of it is something I'd expect from Raf for Jil Sander. [:'(] Anyway, the final test will be seeing this in stores. I wonder if Alex is already thinking that he will be able to ride it out on jeans and tshirts. I don't think he's there quite yet.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• keith
        • Sep 2006

I know that Barney's sent back all their unsold jeans to Cloak NY, instead of putting them on sale, "because they are a Cloak staple now and they won't be selling them on sale" (this is what I was told, at least). Still, there's no way they can float a business on the lower-cost items if they are taking major hits on the expensive outwear, leather, etc.

I looked at this collection again and I still think it sucks. I wouldn't have known it was Cloak if you'd shown it to me blindly; I'm not sure who I would have guessed, I probably would have assumed it was someone I was unfamiliar with, because it has echoes of a lot of different designers and not a particularly cohesive feel, and it certainly doesn't feel like it is an outgrowth of the Cloak aesthetic.

Comment

• casem
          • Sep 2006

You're right that with the light jackets and layers in his S/S collections would work well for spring temperature wise, I guess I said "springy" because I associate spring more with light and bright colors that don't seem very Cloak. But yea, I agree it is a bit plain. The plaids are growing on me though, I've never really been a plaid fan, but I especially like the vest that wraps around and ties, I also really like the red cap sleeved button up. I've got the polo from this S/S that kind of has cap sleeves (I'm wearing it right now!) and it makes my arms look sexy, so I'm going to have to get more haha.
          music

Comment

• Agent L
            • Sep 2006

Hey Cloak Fans

I myself am a huge Cloak fan and have been supporting them since 2003. I have a few one-of-a kind actual runway Cloak pieces from several seasons that didn't make it into production ifanyone's interested. All pieces were done in their Runway/Sample size which is small. I'm actually close friends with Alexandre and their part-time graphic designer. I designed their logo and I do their tees and other misc. stuff. Anyway, if anyone's interested hit me up and I'll send pics. Also these pieces were all hand-sewn by the man himself with better than final production materials. Being done by hand also means excellent construction.

L

Comment

• darkanimal
              • Sep 2006

You got me.. yes send us photos. That is right about my size if no XS is available. Thanks! Love the graphics btw.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Agent L"]Hey Cloak Fans

I myself am a huge Cloak fan and have been supporting them since 2003. I have a few one-of-a kind actual runway Cloak pieces from several seasons that didn't make it into production ifanyone's interested. All pieces were done in their Runway/Sample size which is small. I'm actually close friends with Alexandre and their part-time graphic designer. I designed their logo and I do their tees and other misc. stuff. Anyway, if anyone's interested hit me up and I'll send pics. Also these pieces were all hand-sewn by the man himself with better than final production materials. Being done by hand also means excellent construction.

L

[/quote]

Welcome to SZ! That's cool about the pieces you have. If you feel comfortable about putting the pictures on the forums, by all means. There are a lot of people still looking for pieces from that covetable FW04. My first Cloak piece was from SS03, if I am not mistaken - I didn't even know who they were back then. Anyway, I'm glad my fellow Russian expat is doing well, but this collection is a downer. Maybe you can talk to Alex [;)]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Agent L
                  • Sep 2006

I would love to post pics but not sure how. I tried inserting images but it asked for the url and all this other stuff that I am not too savvy at. Could you walk me through it? Thanks.

Comment

• Agent L
                    • Sep 2006

I have the following:

Fall 04 - Black cotton Fencing Jacket. Size M. (Actual Runway piece)

Spring 05 - Grey Leather Motoring Jacket (One-of-a-Kind)

Spring 05 - Navy Shawl Collar Jean Jacket (More like cotton canvas than denim).(One-of-a-Kind)

Spring 05 - Black Perfecto Tailcoat (Mix between motorcycle jacket and trench coat).(One-of-a-Kind)

Spring 06 - Vertiver Grey Leather Starter Jacket. (Never produced in leather,One-of-a-Kind)

Comment

• darkanimal
                      • Sep 2006

pm me the details of the Grey Motoring Jacket, measurements, price, etc!. Thanks

Comment

• Agent L
                        • Sep 2006

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ng_Jacket_.jpg. It's a Runway size small. This piece could fit a medium person. I'll take true measurements when I get home. The jacket you see is the actual piece. The leather is of insane quality, no scuffs–nothing. I've had a lot of offers but have never had the heart to let it go but I can let it go for $800. Remember, you'd be the only one in the world rocking it.

Thanks,
                        L

Comment

• Agent L
                          • Sep 2006

Fall 04 Cloak Hoodie up for grabs. Olive Green, size M. Excellent condition.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Nice pieces Agent L. I edited your posts to make actual links. In the future, to make an actual link, highlight it, copy, press the link button right on top (looks like a chain link) and paste the link in there. Thanks.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Agent L
                              • Sep 2006

Thanks Faust. I'll make sure to do that next time.

Comment

• darkanimal
                                • Sep 2006

Thanks Agent L. Actually I'm more interested with the Spring 06 starter jacket, now that I've seen the photos. Hopefully it is a fitted Small. When I tried pieces from the SS06 jackets, I was more of an XS than S, but I'll never now maybe it will work out. Another question, is it more of a cream, or olive grey color, or true grey? From the runway photos it seems creamish. Keep me updated.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎