Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xcoldricex
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

yes, please do

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><u><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Fuuma&rsquo;s &ldquo;top 100&rdquo; movies</font></font></span></u></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">How it works:</font></font></span></p><ul style="margin-top: 0cm" type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">I&rsquo;ll make a post for every decade, starting with the 1910s, for a total of 100 movies</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">I didn&rsquo;t include more than two movies by the same director for variety&rsquo;s sake</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">The list is, of course, heavily slanted towards my own taste; for example you&rsquo;ll find a proportionally large numbers of French films</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">I tried to give the list a modern slant by including a lot of recent films (80s and up)</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span></span>Those are only small blurbs, if you&rsquo;re interested in one of those movies, feel free to ask, I like watching &lsquo;em and I like talking about &lsquo;em!</font></font></span>[/list]
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Fuuma&#39;s top 100 movies: 10&#39;s</p><ul><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Vampires, les/France/Feuillade/1916: Engrossing crime serial with a macabre edge, the main character is boring but you&rsquo;ll be cheering for the amoral members of &ldquo;les vampires&rdquo; gang</font></font></span>[/list]

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

<u>Fuuma&#39;s top 100 movies: 20s</u></p><ul>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, the/Germany/Wiene/1920: Made in the aftermath of WW1. Not so subtle critique of the powers that be, the nightmarish landscapes of this expressionistic movie are a sight to behold</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Nosferatu/Germany/Murnau/1922: Another fine example of German expressionism, this one is truly creepy thanks to Max Schreck eerily performance who owes as much to the elaborate gestures of theatre actors as to the much more restrained style that would soon emerge in the cinematic world. </font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Metropolis/Germany/Lang/1926: Probably the first dystopian sci-fi movie, certainly the best</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">An andalusian dog/Un chien andalou/France/Bunuel/1929: A dreamlike journey through the subconscious mind of Bunuel (and Dali). The Surrealists were among the first to understand that cinema could be a viable artistic pursuit, worthy of other visual arts </font></font></span></div>[/list]

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I&#39;ve only seen Metropolis out of those. I liked it. It must have been amazing to make something like that in the 20&#39;s.</p>

I must see Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.</p>

</p>

No Battleship Potemkin on your list? [:P]</p>
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
              • Sep 2006

And no &quot;Man With A Movie Camera&quot; either. I second Faust&#39;s vote for a bit of Russian 20s cinema to go with the Germans. (Maybe a Buster Keaton movie too)
              </p>

Comment

• mass
                • Sep 2006

outside of japanese & german i have not seen very many pre-war films. do you guys have any recommendations? i have seen man with a movie camera, though.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]outside of japanese &amp; german i have not seen
                  very many pre-war films. do you guys have any recommendations? i have
                  seen man with a movie camera, though.[/quote]</p>

I would recommend Alexander Nevsky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexand...sky_%28film%29</p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;Faust&quot;]

I&#39;ve only seen Metropolis out of those. I liked it. It must have been amazing to make something like that in the 20&#39;s.</p>

I must see Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.</p>

</p>

No Battleship Potemkin on your list? [:P]</p>

[/quote]</p>

Do see Caligari, it has the added bonus of being easily available on DVD and often screened in various cinemas.</p>

As for Eisenstein no Potemkin (hey there&#39;s only 100 slots so loads of great movies will be left out) but there&#39;s one of his movies coming up soon</p>

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Nevsky, Nevsky, Nevsky!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                        • Sep 2006

thanks for the recommendation. i had the eisenstein boxset which has nevsky although i sold it before i ever got a chance to watch/open it (although i've seen ivan the terrible as well as a few other of his films). i'll check it out!

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

<u>Fuuma&#39;s top 100 films: 30s</u></p><ul>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">All Quiet on the Western Front/USA/Milestone/1930: Dramatic anti-war film and a strong indictment of ultra-nationalism, as seen from the German side.</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">M/Germany/Lang/1931: A serial killer is on the loose and the town is in a climate of panic and hysteria after eight children have been found dead. The denunciations, name calling and paranoia present in the film take on an interesting subtext when you consider what was going on in Germany at that time.</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Atalante, l&#39;/France/Vigo/1934: A story that is at times both humorous and deeply poetic. The association of Vigo, who would die a year after completing his masterpiece (and only feature length film), and the cameramen Boris Kaufman, Dziga Vertov&rsquo;s half-brother, yields results of tremendous evocative power</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">39 steps/UK/Hitchcock/1935: This is one hell of a charming movie. Hitchcock invented the guy&amp;girl (both glamorous of course) who&rsquo;re in trouble with the law/bad guys/etc and must join force to succeed while their mutual contempt and attraction for each other fluctuate according to exterior circumstances. Basically a romantic comedy where the typical obstacles to the protagonists love are replaced by elements taken from thrillers.</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Grand illusion, the/Grande Illusion, la/France/Renoir/1937: Renoir once again sets his penetrating gaze on the change of class dynamics after WWI, just looming in the horizon in this case, with this tale of French POW planning their escape from German camps</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Alexander Nevski/URSS/Eisenstein/1938: Made at a time when Russo-Germanic relations weren&rsquo;t at their all time high to say the least, this movie delivers its pro-Russian message with maestria. Observe how clothing, equipment and battle formations, by the judicious use of geometric shapes, contributes to the overall feeling you get from each army. There seems to be a few fans of this one on the board, which is always a sign you&rsquo;re in good company, IMHO</font></font></span></div>[/list]

</p>

Comment

• xcoldricex
                            • Sep 2006

thx 1138 / USA / george lucas / 1971</p>

he did this.. then made star wars? hmm.
                            </p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

<u>Fuuma&#39;s top 100 movies: 40s</u></p><ul>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Maltese falcon, the/USA/Huston/1941: Quintessential noir movie, the shadows in this one owe a lot to the German impressionist films I listed earlier (see 20s)</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">This gun for hire/USA/Tuttle/1942: Veronica Lake and one of the first &ldquo;hitman who finds redemption in the love he has for a woman&rdquo; type of movie that I&rsquo;m a sucker for </font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Corbeau, le/France/Clouzot/1943: Can be seen as a metaphor for occupied France (made and released during said occupation) oh and Clouzot is the French Hitchcock</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Beauty and the beast\Belle et la b&ecirc;te, la/France/Cocteau/1946: The only movie on the list that I haven&rsquo;t seen since I was a kid, this one is so poetic and aesthetically pleasing that it left a really strong impression on me at the time. A friend of mine later said that he can&rsquo;t stand the movie because Cocteau was so in love with Marais during the filming that he made everyone else ugly by comparison. I&rsquo;ll tell you what I think about that when I re-watch it, I wasn&rsquo;t looking for homo-erotic subtexts in movies when I was eight, and that&rsquo;s a good thing. </font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Out of the past/USA/Tourneur/1947 :<span> </span>Another noir with a femme fatale so wicked you can&rsquo;t help but love her. Featuring Kirk Douglas in a career defining first(?) role</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Bicycle thief, the/Italie/DeSica/1948: Moving, humane, essential</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Third man, the/UK/Reed/1949 : Just a great thriller, a famous cuckoo speech and one of the best, again German impressionism inspired, use of shadows ever (see the last scene).</font></font></span></div>[/list]

</p>

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

I figured you meant &quot;40s&quot; - I fixed it in the title. Added &quot;Bicycle Thief&quot; - my Netflix cue is getting dangerously long thanks to you [Y]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎