Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadboy
    • Jul 2013

Saw Manchester by the Sea yesterday. It was a gut punch in the best possible way, and convinced me once and for all that Casey Affleck is a great actor.

Comment

• Arkady
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
      Hahaha. Exactly. He's so hit or miss. - I'm looking at you Robin Hood >.>

Random note - Gosling's character's styling in The Place Beyond the Pines was amazing.

Re: Ford - Just checked what he's upto on Wikipedia - Indiana Jones 5 (2019) - YIKES
      Ridley has been peddling shit for years, but this Blade Runner sequel is fortunately directed by Villeneuve who's put out some of the more brilliant films of the last decade. Haven't seen him shoot an extraneous frame yet.

Ridley's new Alien entry looks like Freddie vs. Jason, however, and betrayed half the plot from the trailer.

Comment

• Sufi
        • Jan 2017

Recently watched Taurus by Alexander Sokurov, great film and Sokurov is easily one of the greatest filmmakers alive. Will be watching Kamen next.

Also, are any of you folks on Letterboxd?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Watched Captain Fantastic - loved it.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

Recently watched: Captain Fantastic, Your Name, Soul Mate

Soul Mate is definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a long while, especially considering the subpar rut American film making has been in of remakes, sequels, and oscar-bait.

It's very much a slice of life film jumping from present to past over the stretch of these characters lives together.
            I'd recommend it to those who are into Hou Hsiao-hsien and Wong Kar-wai a la Millennium Mambo and Chungking Express, respectively.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Ahimsa
              Vegan Police
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
              Ridley has been peddling shit for years, but this Blade Runner sequel is fortunately directed by Villeneuve who's put out some of the more brilliant films of the last decade. Haven't seen him shoot an extraneous frame yet.
              Denis Villeneuve will also be directing the new Dune adaptation, so hopefully sci-fi fans can rejoice after the shit J.J. Abrams has been peddling.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

What did you think of Captain Fantastic? :-) I want to be that Dad, obviously.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                  Denis Villeneuve will also be directing the new Dune adaptation, so hopefully sci-fi fans can rejoice after the shit J.J. Abrams has been peddling.
                  Purportedly both for film and television which is very exciting. After seeing Arrival I'm sure he'll have an amazing depiction of how the spice allows consciousness to fold space.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    What did you think of Captain Fantastic? :-) I want to be that Dad, obviously.
                    Really hit home in the weirdest way. We have a lot of toned down versions of those families upstate. I was raised in a similar manner too XD

Comment

• mrbeuys
                      • May 2008

Just watched it. Had the screener but only looked for it when I saw E's comment. Really resonates with a lot of my thinking recently, unfortunately much less of my doing so far. Not too late.
                      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

Watched that doc on Netflix about minimalism. That lady with the glasses talking about the issues of fast fashion and waste seemed smart, and the Jimmy Carter speech was cool, but didn't find the rest too interesting. Even as someone who tries to keep as few possessions as possible (except wardrobe ofc), I've grown tired of claims that people consume to fill some void of meaning in their lives and that such consumption somehow precludes happiness, that people and life experiences are what truly matter. My life experience tells me that people disappoint and relationships fleet, while cashmere comforts.
                        bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• vah
                          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                          Watched that doc on Netflix about minimalism. That lady with the glasses talking about the issues of fast fashion and waste seemed smart, and the Jimmy Carter speech was cool, but didn't find the rest too interesting. Even as someone who tries to keep as few possessions as possible (except wardrobe ofc), I've grown tired of claims that people consume to fill some void of meaning in their lives and that such consumption somehow precludes happiness, that people and life experiences are what truly matter. My life experience tells me that people disappoint and relationships fleet, while cashmere comforts.
                          I had a discussion in similar vein the other day, and partaking and deriving enjoyment from clothing is in my view such a pure enjoyment of some ones creative output, because it becomes in ways such an intimate, completely selfish experience as well.
                          I'm getting more and more tired, or upset by peoples general attitude of "what I spend money on has more value than what you do". Realise this is a slight extension on the other thought/discussion the random fashion thoughts thread, but yeah.

On another more topical note, saw Moonlight last weekend. Poignant, and the chopped-and-skewed score paired with the rest of the music was beautiful.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                            Best of SZ

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sufi
                              • Jan 2017

Gave this another rewatch and it continues to impress me upon every viewing. Grandrieux is a fuckin genius, a true auteur and probably one of the greatest filmmakers in modern French cinema.

Comment

• Monoral
                                • Mar 2014

Go see Logan guys. It's so damn good!

Dont get discourage by the Superhero thing. It is a really well done character drama first and foremost featuring a dude with a claw also a kick ass little girl.

Also Patrick Stewart saying fuck a lot.

Split is also decent, are we in for Shayamalan cinematic universe now?

Get out: best movie of this year so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎