• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

The cinema thread

What the title says, feel free to post anything related to films.</p>

I&#39;ll start with the cinematic equivalent of &quot;what are you wearing today&quot;, here are the last movies I watched, if you want comments on some of them go ahead and ask.</p><ul>[*]Man push cart/USA/Bahrani/2005[*]Berlin, symphony of a great city/Germany/Ruttmann/1927[*]Dammi i colori/Albania/Sala/2003[*]Emak-Bakia/France/Ray/1926[*]&Eacute;toile de mer, l&#39;/France/Ray/1928[*]Entr&#39;acte/France/Clair/1924[*]Little miss sunshine/USA/Dayton&amp;Faris/2006[*]Under the sun of satan/France/Pialat/1987[*]Clean/France/Assayas/2004[/list]

</p>
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff
  • droogist
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Walter Ruttmann, cool. He was a genious composer too.
    </p>

How did you like Clean? Ive been anxious to see it (Irma Vep is a big favorite of mine) but just haven&#39;t got around to it yet...
    </p>

Comment

• mass
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

the last film i watched was the proposition. not bad, but not great... i'm very much looking forward to johnnie to's exiled. my favorite filmmaker is michelangelo antonioni although my favorite film is le samourai. actually my favorite melville film is le doulos; maybe that's weird (my favorite antonioni is la notte). oddly enough you've got an antonioni quote in your sig and have had a delon avatar. there was an antonioni retrospective here recently and i missed it! although i did catch the passenger when it first showed late last year.

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;droogist&quot;]

Walter Ruttmann, cool. He was a genious composer too.
        </p>

How did you like Clean? Ive been anxious to see it (Irma Vep is a big favorite of mine) but just haven&#39;t got around to it yet...
        </p>

[/quote]</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">It&rsquo;s the only Ruttmann film I&rsquo;ve seen though, more like a classical music videoclip/montage exalting modernity and how the city functions like one great big organism.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">As for Clean I&rsquo;ve found it quite enjoyable if you accept the fact that this is, for the most part, a straight up melodrama with top notch acting from Cheung who really goes out of her comfort zone in this one. She&rsquo;s not her usual shy, quiet and meditative type here but avoid the all too common pitfall of ending up being a reverse caricature of her typical onscreen (and probably off-screen) personality. Once again you have some references to a lesbian relationship involving Cheung, which I&rsquo;m starting to think is some kind of fantasy or inside joke from her ex-husband (Assayas). There is also the, I assume, self-referential and somewhat funny/critical references to the entertainment world (in this case music) and a kickass soundtrack to boot. I must say I tend not to notice Assayas&rsquo; direction, I can&rsquo;t even tell if there was an overdose of the patented melodramatic close-up. This is not, in fact, an oblique critique of Assayas&rsquo; approach but more of a sign that what really stuck with me was the overall feel and storyline and what it evoked more than any directorial tricks. </span><span lang="EN-CA"></span></p>

</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]the last film i watched was the proposition. not bad, but not great... i&#39;m very much looking forward to johnnie to&#39;s exiled. my favorite filmmaker is michelangelo antonioni although my favorite film is le samourai. actually my favorite melville film is le doulos; maybe that&#39;s weird (my favorite antonioni is la notte). oddly enough you&#39;ve got an antonioni quote in your sig and have had a delon avatar. there was an antonioni retrospective here recently and i missed it! although i did catch the passenger when it first showed late last year.[/quote]</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">I haven&rsquo;t read anything about To&rsquo;s next project (Exiled) but I haven&rsquo;t watched Election (the first one) yet so I&rsquo;ll do that first (saw about 1hour but there was some problem with the disc, will re-watch it soon). I must say I&rsquo;m a big fan of Milky Way studio&rsquo;s somewhat contradictory brand of maverick commercial filmmaking. Some of my favourite entries, mostly gangster films, include The mission, The odd one dies, Expect the unexpected, The longest nite, Needing you, Running out of time and even the heroic trio.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">I must say I am also an enormous fan of Melville, with Le samoura&iuml; occupying a soft spot but I&rsquo;d be hard pressed to say it&rsquo;s a better film than say L&rsquo;arm&eacute;e des ombres or Bob le flambeur or any of his other films for that matter.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Antonioni has really fallen in recent years but somebody who had the following exchange can never be considered without respect IMHO:</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: 11.25pt"><span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 7.5pt; font-family: Verdana">&ldquo;Antonioni: ...I dyed the grass around the shed on the edge of the marsh in order to reinforce the sense of desolation, of death. The landscape had to be rendered truthfully: when the trees are dead, they have that colour.</span>
          <span class="italics1">Godard: The drama is no longer psychological, but plastic.</span>
          <span class="italics1">Antonioni: It&#39;s the same thing.</span>
          <span class="italics1">&mdash;Antonioni and Godard on the use of colour in The Red Desert (Cahiers du Cinema in English, January, 1966)&rdquo;</span>
          </span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: 11.25pt"><span class="italics1"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 7.5pt; font-style: normal; font-family: Verdana"></span></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: 11.25pt"><span class="italics1"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-family: Arial">BTW I still have a Delon avatar on the styleforum, but it&rsquo;s one taken from the recent, horrendously bad TV series Frank Riva, which is basically a bad case of decrepit Delon worship. I must say the man only refers to himself using the third person (calling himself Alain Delon this, Alain Delon that) and is now a dangerous right-wing egomaniacal nutcase.</span></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: 11.25pt"><span class="italics1"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-family: Arial"></span></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: 11.25pt"><span class="italics1"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-family: Arial">I did also catch the restored version of The Passenger and must say Antonioni&rsquo;s films, with their focus on architecture and plastic beauty really shine on the big screen. He seems to have a painter&rsquo;s approach to filming which make large screen viewings breathtaking.</span></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: 11.25pt"><span class="italics1"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-family: Arial"></span></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: 11.25pt"><span class="italics1"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-family: Arial">Two movies I&rsquo;ve recently watched:</span></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: 11.25pt"><span class="italics1"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-family: Arial">Vengeance is mine/Japan/Imamura/1979</span></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; line-height: 11.25pt"><span class="italics1"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-family: Arial">Police story 3/HK/Tong/1992</span></span></p>

</p>

Comment

• mass
            • Sep 2006

i agree on all points about antonioni and melville. have you ever read the book melville on melville (it's been out of print forever and i am desperately trying to find a copy)? it's a good book, reminds me of the hitchcock/truffaut book. in it he's asked if he would ever remake bob le flambeur (or allow it to be remade, if i remember) and he of course says no (the book was published right after he made le cercle rouge, although in it he says that le cercle rouge would be his last film and he didn't plan on making any more). i believe he passed away shortly after shooting un flic? not sure who could have allowed the good thief to happen. and isn't john woo remaking le cercle rouge? ugh.

by the way exiled is somewhat of a sequel to the mission. from the trailers i've seen it seems to make sense. most of the original actors are in it also but i'm not sure if they're reprising their roles. have you seen ptu? i highly recommend it.

and i definitely think people who speak in the third person are ahead of their time.

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]i agree on all points about antonioni and melville. have you ever read the book melville on melville (it&#39;s been out of print forever and i am desperately trying to find a copy)? it&#39;s a good book, reminds me of the hitchcock/truffaut book. in it he&#39;s asked if he would ever remake bob le flambeur (or allow it to be remade, if i remember) and he of course says no (the book was published right after he made le cercle rouge, although in it he says that le cercle rouge would be his last film and he didn&#39;t plan on making any more). i believe he passed away shortly after shooting un flic? not sure who could have allowed the good thief to happen. and isn&#39;t john woo remaking le cercle rouge? ugh.

by the way exiled is somewhat of a sequel to the mission. from the trailers i&#39;ve seen it seems to make sense. most of the original actors are in it also but i&#39;m not sure if they&#39;re reprising their roles. have you seen ptu? i highly recommend it.

and i definitely think people who speak in the third person are ahead of their time.[/quote]</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Melville on Melville is the Noguiera(sp) book, right? I have a nice vintage copy of the Hitchbook but sadly don&rsquo;t own the Melville equivalent.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">I actually quite enjoyed the good thief, having taken it for what it is, a totally different film remade from what I must admit is, for the general viewer, an obscure source. I like how Jordan infused the movie with his own idiosyncrasies, never falling in stultifying hero worship or obsessive recreation, a la Gus Van Sant&rsquo;s psycho. As for John Woo, although he made some of the greatest bullet ballet movies of the 80s and 90s he is now fallen so far off I don&rsquo;t even bother watching his new releases.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">PTU was an enjoyable viewing but I still had reservation about it&rsquo;s rhythm. BTW you&rsquo;ve now gotten me quite interested in Exiled.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">I recently saw:</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Les visiteurs du soir/France/Carn&eacute;/1942</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">This was at La cin&eacute;math&egrave;que and they&rsquo;ll have a Chantal Akermann retrospective soon, she&rsquo;ll even be present at some of the s&eacute;ances.[&lt;:o)]</span></p>

</p>

Comment

• xcoldricex
                • Sep 2006

shinobi/2006/shimoyama
                survive style 5+/2004 /sekiguchi</p>

clean is decent? maybe i&#39;ll watch it, it&#39;s lying around my house somewhere.
                </p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;xcoldricex&quot;]

shinobi/2006/shimoyama
                  survive style 5+/2004 /sekiguchi</p>

clean is decent? maybe i&#39;ll watch it, it&#39;s lying around my house somewhere.
                  </p>

[/quote]</p>

Yeah I&#39;d recommend it, especially if you likedIrma Vep. Survive style 5+ is quite quirky/wacky isn&#39;t it? I liked the coat that Asano was wearing, it was quite an eyeful [:D]</p>

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Damn, and I thought Kusturica was esoteric. You guys are on the ball, I have to research these names. Thanks.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                      • Sep 2006

quirky/wacky is an understatement for ss5+!

"i'm not homo... i'm gay"

*cue music

Comment

• xcoldricex
                        • Sep 2006

i watched ss5+ without any background knowledge about.. man, was it a nice surprise! the costuming of asano and his girlfriend were great too! </p>

haha after i saw his trench i thought it should&#39;ve been produced by junya watanabe under his eYe line :)
                        </p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

Rcently saw:</p>

The lover/France-Vietnam/Annaud/1992</p>

Rebel without a cause/USA/Ray/1955</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

I recently posted a top100 (those things are silly but great discussion starters) with short comments on TFS, anybody thinks it might be worth re-posting here?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;Fuuma&quot;]I recently posted a top100 (those things are silly but great discussion starters) with short comments on TFS, anybody thinks it might be worth re-posting here?[/quote]</p>

you bet.</p>
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎