• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
    Hahahaha I spent quite a bit of time doing this myself, ridiculous film but quite the camp classic for me.
    Blood for the Blood God. Skulls for the Skull Throne.

I would also go as far to say that Firefly's Reavers are somewhat influenced by Event Horizon too.
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• mrbeuys
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
      Hahahaha I spent quite a bit of time doing this myself, ridiculous film but quite the camp classic for me.
      Fucking loved Event Horizon, I owned that on Laserdisc!
      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• goldsamxo
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
        Fucking loved Event Horizon, I owned that on Laserdisc!
        One of my all-time favorite movies, saw it at such a young age because of my Dad's obsession with sci-fi.
        Classic.
        Originally Posted by Latoya Sizemore View Post

It would be great if one cane wear little bit loose T-shirts with some great prints like marijuana leaves, cannabis, weeds etc.
        Most of the youngsters will like to wear fashionable and chill clothing, which give a great looks to youngsters.

Comment

• brotzeit
          • Feb 2018

I just saw the Black Panther on the big screen and I love it. It was actually better than I expected.

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

Despite the Trent Reznor soundtrack, I'm going to go ahead and say Bird Box was an incredibly mediocre movie, and probably a sign of things to come via Netflix algorithm movie making. I'm going to list all of the movies it borrowed from (that I can think of atm) to create the boring amalgamation that it is. I highly advise against watching it unless you also enjoy movies like Ant-Man.

Setting: A Quiet Place, raising children in a post-apocalyptic setting, but with no looking instead of sound. Also The Happening, in the waves of seemingly random global suicide.

Monster(s): Depicted like Evil Dead, in something you can't see that winds and knocks down trees towards the actors. Also Signs, because they can't open doors for whatever stupid reason.

Characters: Literally all just tropes you can find anywhere.

Concept: Lovecraftian monsters that came from ????. Seeing them makes you go insane, and those already insane become cultists/heralds. The sketch of a Cthulhuian like monster in a *wink wink nudge nudge* manner was cringeworthy.

The OG for this see it/kill yourself concept is courtesy of The King in Yellow, which started the cosmic horror genre (e.g. anything Lovecraft, as well as the main theme of True Detective i.e. the yellow king.)

It's based on a book from Ferndale, MI (gay Detroit), so I assume the book is infinitely better than whatever this manticore was.
            Last edited by Ahimsa; 01-08-2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• SafetyKat
              • Aug 2014

This is the last we heard from our dear Ahimsa before witnesses reported seeing him snatched up in a big, red Netflix van...

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ haha

The soundtrack was the best thing about that movie. I mean, actually, Sandra Bullock was good in it. But, yeah... no wonder one starts feeling like one has seen every good movie under the sun.

I also wonder if there will be a correction to all of this. I just don't see how these very expensive movies and series would make commercial sense. Who even has time to watch them all?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mmsix
                  • Sep 2016

Speaking of Soundtracks, was in the cinema on Sunday and watched Beautiful Boy.
                  Great movie, also due to the music selectio. The scene when Zola Jesus' beautiful voice set in moved me deeply.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    /\ haha

The soundtrack was the best thing about that movie. I mean, actually, Sandra Bullock was good in it. But, yeah... no wonder one starts feeling like one has seen every good movie under the sun.

I also wonder if there will be a correction to all of this. I just don't see how these very expensive movies and series would make commercial sense. Who even has time to watch them all?
                    Two main reasons:

Gen Z and many Millennials primarily rely on Netflix as opposed to Cable for all their TV watching.

Even though movies like the Marvel franchise, Transformers, Fast & Furious don't work budget wise for the ratio to Western sales, Chinese revenue alone makes them extremely lucrative so they just keep on coming.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                      • Nov 2014

I can’t remember the name of the website, but there was a guy (Japanese, I think) who’s actually a banker, but has a passion for cinema. He created a "Netflix for arthouse movies" that will only feature 1 movie a day. Every day, he picks a different one. Maybe someone has heard about this as well and can post a link?
                      "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                      -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                        I can’t remember the name of the website, but there was a guy (Japanese, I think) who’s actually a banker, but has a passion for cinema. He created a "Netflix for arthouse movies" that will only feature 1 movie a day. Every day, he picks a different one. Maybe someone has heard about this as well and can post a link?
                        Are you thinking of MUBI? https://mubi.com

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

Did anyone watch Leto? Not incredible but pretty cute and Russian 80s new wave is a good topic.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Nickefuge
                            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                            Are you thinking of MUBI? https://mubi.com
                            Maybe that was it, but MUBI still has more flicks.
                            "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                            -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                              Did anyone watch Leto? Not incredible but pretty cute and Russian 80s new wave is a good topic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leto_(film)
                              It's high on my list, being a huge Kino fan (obviously). I'll watch it next month for sure. The overall reception in Russia was controversial.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                                Vegan Police
                                • Sep 2011

Recent watches:

Shirkers- was okay. Basically a midlife crisis documentary about the director lamenting her lost teenage summer movie and having never moved past it. English is not her first language, so the narration has weird emphasis on certain words, though still preferable to a certain Vice news reporter's glottal fry uptalk.

Minding the Gap - mostly filmed over the course of 4 years, but footage from 12 years worth. About growing up in a rust belt city in the midwest and all the baggage that comes with it such as domestic violence and its strange normalcy. Great contrast to the "idyllic" suburban lives typically showcased in America as "the standard" (this lack of depiction and attention is exactly why Trump won). This movie was sadly a really accurate portrayal (I grew up around the rustbelt myself), but also quite gripping to watch these characters either try to move past their upbringing and settings, or drown in it.

Velvet Buzzsaw - entertaining dark comedy about the art world. I'd say it is to the art world in its truthful mockery as The Devil Wears Prada is to fashion.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎