Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xcoldricex
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="designersheep"]Satantango

A 7.5 hour (!) film by Bela Tarr, finally came out on DVD (R2 UK available in Amazon UK).
    I've been waiting for this film for so long and finally had the chance to watch it. The film has two intermissions, and the DVD is divided into 3 discs by those intermissions.

I wouldn't go into too much details, but it was an astonishing one of a kind experience. The plot could be shown in a regular length film, but Tarr makes use of extreme long takes and endlessly stretched scenes of mundane (there are number of scenes of people walking for 10 minutes, and then there is the repeatitive drunk dance sequence which lasts over 30 min and so on), and totally distorts the viewers' senses of time and space. That said, the film is never boring; each seemingly endless sequence gave me inexplicable catharsis of being thrown into a middle of 'Infinity' itself and those scenes have totally hypnotic qualities. It's not just that though. The film does have a plot, with interwining stories and overlapping times. A dream for a narratology junky like me.

[/quote]</p>

sounds like a tsai ming-liang movie to me. haha.
    </p>

Comment

• destroyed
      • Nov 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

i was about to add satantango to my greencine queue, but the release date was pushed back to January 1, 2099-----------maybe if my brain is kept alive in a jar....
      broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;Servo2000&quot;]I was curious if anyone had heard anything about a film called Old Joy recently. I heard about it as it stars Will Oldham, one of my favorite musicians who truly is one of the few people I&#39;ve heard who is able to spill every bit of himself onto a record, and imagined that it could be something interesting. <div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>From what I&#39;ve heard, the entire film takes place primarily between two people, who spend the film trying to &quot;catch up&quot; and yet never manage to, and in fact, in the end, realize how little they have in common. It sounds like, if scripted and acted well, that it could be quite a film.</div>

[/quote]</p>

Heard about it, don&#39;t have much to say except that it piqued my interest. If you end up watching it feel free to post some feedback I&#39;d love to hear about it.</p>
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">Haibane Renmei/Tomokazu Tokoro/Japan/2002</font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">I&rsquo;ve watched eps 1-7 (out of 13) of this intriguing animation series and can&rsquo;t make up my mind if it&rsquo;s a fantasy fairytale or an existentialist allegory, right now it could go either, or both, ways. One of the mysterious social rule the characters have to follow (aside from not being able to get out of the town/not knowing what lies beyond the town walls) is that they can only wear and use recycled objects, basically material discarded by humans, which makes for interesting design and themes.</font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt"><font face="Times New Roman"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">Shinobi/Shimoyama/Japan/2005</font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt"><font face="Times New Roman">Big budget superhero (Ninjas with supernatural powers, makes no difference) action movie that&rsquo;s a lot better than X-Men because the narrative isn&rsquo;t cluttered with useless characters because &ldquo;they&rsquo;re in the comics and the fans want to see them + we can&rsquo;t kill anyone!!&rdquo;. The title sucks though, they should have called the film &ldquo;Kickass Ninja battle to the death, yeah!&rdquo; or something similar. There&rsquo;s also a Romeo/Juliet type love story in here to please the female audience, which shows how calculated this release is, but don&rsquo;t let that spoil your enjoyment.</font></span></p>
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• interman
            • Dec 2006

<span style="font-weight: bold;">The Pursuit of Happyness/Gabriele Muccino/USA/2006</span>
            Great movie where Will Smith stars as the father of a five year old who is indeed pursuing happiness during the early 80s. He works as a salesman of some medical machine, and isn't really doing too well, much to the dismay of his wife, well played by (typically) lovely Thandie Newton. One day he notices that stock brokers seem to have achieved happiness, so that's the path he tries for himself, along with selling the machines, barely having enough money for food, and a wife who's less than appreciative.</p>

Definitely worth checking out.</p>

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Shit - I look forward to like one film every two years (in this case, Perfume - came out yesterday), and the NY Times just annihilated it. Grrrrr....
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• destroyed
                • Nov 2006

i viewed "touch of evil" a couple days ago</p>

that one really stayed with me afterward; orson welles is just grotesque------he looks like a corpse that had been floating in the river for days. there's a scene right in the middle with a very long take with the camera dollying back and forth through three rooms of a small apartment, maybe 11 pages of dialog. i like films such as this one that explore morality, doing the wrong things for the right reasons, ends justifying the means, and such.
                </p>

some films, i barely remember after the fact.</p>

oh, and i watched "black christmas" again over the holidays, not realizing that i had seen it either last christmas, or the christmas before (drugs); but the flick is good. the slasher film that set the mold-----you can really see the influence on everything that came after. and any film with JOHN SAXON is worth seeking out.</p>
                broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• interman
                  • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Shit - I look forward to like one film every two years (in this case, Perfume - came out yesterday), and the NY Times just annihilated it. Grrrrr....
                  [/quote]</p>

I watched Perfume a while ago (thanks internet!) and liked it a lot, though I kind of collect colognes so I'm not the most objective. Put the book on my Amazon wishlist because of it. Still, I can see why someone would dislike it.
                  </p>

</p>

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="interman"]

[quote user="Faust"]Shit - I look forward to like one film every two years (in this case, Perfume - came out yesterday), and the NY Times just annihilated it. Grrrrr....
                    [/quote]</p>

I watched Perfume a while ago (thanks internet!) and liked it a lot, though I kind of collect colognes so I'm not the most objective. Put the book on my Amazon wishlist because of it. Still, I can see why someone would dislike it.
                    </p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Are you sure we are talking about the same film? </p>

BTW, You should post in our fragrances thread. </p>
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="destroyed"]

i viewed "touch of evil" a couple days ago</p>

that one really stayed with me afterward; orson welles is just grotesque------he looks like a corpse that had been floating in the river for days. there's a scene right in the middle with a very long take with the camera dollying back and forth through three rooms of a small apartment, maybe 11 pages of dialog. i like films such as this one that explore morality, doing the wrong things for the right reasons, ends justifying the means, and such.
                      </p>[/quote]

touch of evil is one of my favorites... also love the reference to it in ed wood as well!

a few days ago i went through the first 2 seasons of deadwood in 1 sitting... can't wait for season 3 on dvd. the wire is still my favorite though.

Comment

• interman
                        • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Are you sure we are talking about the same film?[/quote]</p>

Yep, a telecine version was released in late october.</p>

[quote user="Faust"]
                        BTW, You should post in our fragrances thread.
                        [/quote]</p>

Will do. Didn't notice it.
                        </p>

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Holy Shit, I am so seeing this. Wow, simply stunning...</p>

http://panslabyrinth.com/</p>

</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interman
                            • Dec 2006

Wow that looks good. Will definitely check it out.</p>

I watched Idiocracy today. Reasonably funny movie, and the concept didn't suck. Some people seem to love it and it seems to be doing okay with the critics, but in my opinion it doesn't deserve its current imdb score.
                            </p>

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Holy Shit, I am so seeing this. Wow, simply stunning...</p>

http://panslabyrinth.com/</p>

[/quote]</p>

Ok, I did go see it. Thematically it reminds me of Life is Beautiful, but visually it's a totally different experience. A really beautiful and deep film. Thumbs up.
                              </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sbw4224
                                • Sep 2006

Pan's Labyrinth looks amazing. I hope it comes around to CT eventually. </p>

</p>

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I just watched Seven Samurai. Definitely the best samurai movie I've ever seen. </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎