• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

SPOILERS ON MARTYRS FROM HERE ON OUT

SERIOUSLY DONT READ FURTHER

I think the main mis-step in my opinion was showing what she was seeing - obviously more of a visual metaphor but I think it allowed you to weight the prior events against that and I'm not sure I liked the results. On the other hand, it certainly heightened the perversion as a result so it did amplify the physical sensation of the film.
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Jorge Hache
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
      SPOILERS ON MARTYRS FROM HERE ON OUT

SERIOUSLY DONT READ FURTHER

I think the main mis-step in my opinion was showing what she was seeing - obviously more of a visual metaphor but I think it allowed you to weight the prior events against that and I'm not sure I liked the results. On the other hand, it certainly heightened the perversion as a result so it did amplify the physical sensation of the film.
      I once read an interview of the director, Pascal Laugier, in which he talks about concepts like trascendence and "What We Do From The Pain", the movie is supposed to be unconfortable to prove this points, being more a reflexive movie more than a horror/exploitation one.

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

That's exactly my issue - he presents the pain in a supposedly "un-exploitative" method but when it comes to the ultimate transcendence / result I'm not convinced at the balance or result. I don't believe his goal was justification necessarily as I think it's more complex than that but I still think it would've been stronger had her visions not been so revealed and had left them as hypothetical and 'transcendent' in idea rather than vision since aside from being sort of an interesting abstract animation visually it didn't contribute to that goal.

Comment

• Servo2000
          • Oct 2006

I've been on a Carpenter kick just recently for some reason.

Comment

• Jorge Hache
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
            That's exactly my issue - he presents the pain in a supposedly "un-exploitative" method but when it comes to the ultimate transcendence / result I'm not convinced at the balance or result. I don't believe his goal was justification necessarily as I think it's more complex than that but I still think it would've been stronger had her visions not been so revealed and had left them as hypothetical and 'transcendent' in idea rather than vision since aside from being sort of an interesting abstract animation visually it didn't contribute to that goal.
            Totally agree with you, the interview that i read (which was kinda long) was mere self-justification for the excess of violence/gore in the movie

Comment

• Servo2000
              • Oct 2006

is Netflix listing like EVERYTHING as unavailable on the Watch Online thing for anyone else? I have the Netflix Unlimited plan or whatever so nothing should be as far as I know.

Comment

• rocknrollnigger
                • Jan 2009

Eraserhead:

Saw it some time ago when I was in a place mentally that would not allow me to understand the point of the movie. But this time I really enjoyed it. I like how his movies read more as art installations that deal with mood more than anything else. I like how he dosnt explain his work and leaves it up to the viewer to decide what it means to them. I'm sorry but I still can't get through inland empire. Also, I really want a deformed alien baby

Comment

• Classique
                  • Apr 2008

20 years to realize Disney modeled 'The Lion King,' after Hamlet.

Good, for children. :)

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

More likely a remake of Kimba the White Lion, but still.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Watched Milk today. Good as advertised.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Enaml
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by rocknrollnigger View Post
                        Eraserhead:

Saw it some time ago when I was in a place mentally that would not allow me to understand the point of the movie. But this time I really enjoyed it. I like how his movies read more as art installations that deal with mood more than anything else. I like how he dosnt explain his work and leaves it up to the viewer to decide what it means to them. I'm sorry but I still can't get through inland empire. Also, I really want a deformed alien baby

I feel the setting and mood of the film are what made it so spectacular. Without them, it might seriously be lacking substance.
                        How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• DamageX
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by merz
                          just saw trailer for the road. for some reason, 2 minutes into it the sound engineer used the infamous 'Gut-wrenching Scream And Fall Into Distance' also sometimes called 'the starcraft scream' as its used by the terran marines. which was so out of place, i lol'd.
                          The Road wasn't a bad movie, as far as books to movies are concerned.

Comment

• sam_tem
                            • Apr 2007

anyone been looking at the upcoming criterion releases. some pretty nice things coming out soon.

but WTF is up with curious case of benjamin button. to think i criticized them for doing dazed and confused. at least that movie was a classic for the high schoolers etc coming of age at the time. this is even more of an obvious money grab for them since the movie sucks. they should just stick to sucking on wes anderson's balls for money.

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                              • Sep 2006

As a fan (and collector) of criterion movies, i'm not so happy with the Benjamin Button addition, but c'mon what about The Rock and Armageddon (wtf).
                              I'm really excited about the couple of new Godard's, Repulsion and The Human Condition...nice very nice....

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

finally got around to Tetsuo: Iron Man. Really fantastic. If you've already seen it there are some screens I took on my blog but if you haven't don't spoil the surprise and just fucking watch it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎