Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • designersheep
    • Oct 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

^^^ Wow so is mine :) Are you two by any chance members of www.criterionforum.org ?

Films:

Au hasard Balthazar - Robert Bresson - France
    Kohker trilogy - Abbas Kiarostami - Iran
    Zerkalo (Mirror) - Andrei Tarkovsky - Russia
    Satantango - Bela Tarr - Hungary
    Ukigusa (Floating weeds) - Ozu Yasujiro - Japan
    Scenes from a marriage - Ingmar Bergman - Sweden
    Pierrot le fou - Jean-Luc Godard - France
    L'eclisse - Michelangelo Antonioni - Italy
    4 Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle - Eric Rohmer - France
    Woman of the dunes - Teshigahara Hiroshi - Japan

Directors:

Tarkovsky, Bresson, Kiarostami, Godard, Bergman, Bunuel, Ozu, Rohmer, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, and Tarr

both in vague order

Comment

• Seventh
      • Dec 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Great movie lists, I need to see many of the ones mentioned.
      </p>

Destroyed, I finally saw Eraserhead. Wonderfully strange, i don't really have words for the whole experience, except it was great and there are so many images that linger in my head.
      </p>

I'll contribute my top-10 movies:</p>

1. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie<span style="font-style: italic;"> </span>- John Cassavetes
      <span style="font-style: italic;"></span>1 1/2. A Woman Under the Influence<span style="font-style: italic;"> </span>- John Cassavetes
      2. Ivan's Childhood <span style="font-style: italic;">also titled</span> My Name is Ivan - Andrei Tarkovsky
      3. La Promesse - Jean-Pierre Dardenne &amp; Luc Dardenne
      4. The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser - Werner Herzog
      5. Mother and Son - Aleksandr Sokurov
      6. Throne of Blood - Akira Kurosawa
      7. All About My Mother - Pedro Almodovar
      8. Secrets and Lies - Mike Leigh
      9. Down By Law - Jim Jarmusch
      10. Alice in the Cities - Wim Wenders</p>

Plus two TV shows that should be considered in the realm of great movies:
      1. Twin Peaks - David Lynch
      2. The Kingdom: Series 1 &amp; 2 - Lars von Trier

Directors: All the above, plus Renior, Ozu and Kieslowski.

</p>

Comment

• mass
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

</P>

Our taste is so much alike it's quite impressive....btw are you in Montréal now, we shouldcatch a movie at some point during the next weeks/months.</P>[/quote]

that would be cool, hopefully when it gets warmer soon. but yeah i've been braving the "it's actually pretty mild for january" montreal cold for close to a month now.

i also really love cassavetes the director but i think he annoys me so much as an actor that i tend to overlook him! i really like sidney lumet, too.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Has anyone seen I am Sam? Reviews? Thanks.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Has anyone seen I am Sam? Reviews? Thanks.
            [/quote] </P>

It's a minor Lee, with a familiar setting; urban, working class neighborhood where tensions and general intolerance"heat up" during a heatwave. I found it enjoyable as Lee cleverly dissects the social dynamics on his setting and how they can lead to a mob mentality if the conditions are right. Some of the italo-american stereotypes he serves can be a bit tedious and evenborderline racist which is annoying at times.</P>
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

[quote user="Faust"]Has anyone seen I am Sam? Reviews? Thanks.
              [/quote] </P>

It's a minor Lee, with a familiar setting; urban, working class neighborhood where tensions and general intolerance"heat up" during a heatwave. I found it enjoyable as Lee cleverly dissects the social dynamics on his setting and how they can lead to a mob mentality if the conditions are right. Some of the italo-american stereotypes he serves can be a bit tedious and evenborderline racist which is annoying at times.</P>

OOps I just realized I was talking about Summer of Sam, isn't I am Sam one of those "retard movies" that are pathetic oscar-bait and an insult to anyone who has or know people with disabilities? If you want to watch a great movie that touches, among other topics, the lives of people with disabilities, get Oasis by Lee-Chang-Dong, you'll be floored.</P>[/quote]

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="mass"][quote user="Fuuma"]
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Our taste is so much alike it's quite impressive....btw are you in Montréal now, we shouldcatch a movie at some point during the next weeks/months.</P>

[/quote] that would be cool, hopefully when it gets warmer soon. but yeah i've been braving the "it's actually pretty mild for january" montreal cold for close to a month now.

i also really love cassavetes the director but i think he annoys me so much as an actor that i tend to overlook him! i really like sidney lumet, too.[/quote]</P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Isn't he prettysolid in "the killers"?</P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

BTW everyone go rent Rois et Reine (Kings and Queen) by Arnaud Desplechin, its even better than Esther Khan.</P>

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="designersheep"]^^^ Wowsoismine:) Are you two by any chance members of www.criterionforum.org ?

Films:

Au hasard Balthazar - Robert Bresson - France
                  Kohker trilogy - Abbas Kiarostami - Iran
                  Zerkalo (Mirror) - Andrei Tarkovsky - Russia
                  Satantango - Bela Tarr - Hungary
                  Ukigusa (Floating weeds) - Ozu Yasujiro - Japan
                  Scenes from a marriage - Ingmar Bergman - Sweden
                  Pierrot le fou - Jean-Luc Godard - France
                  L'eclisse - Michelangelo Antonioni - Italy
                  4 Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle - Eric Rohmer - France
                  Woman of the dunes - Teshigahara Hiroshi - Japan

Directors:

Tarkovsky, Bresson, Kiarostami, Godard, Bergman,Bunuel,Ozu,Rohmer,Mohsen Makhmalbaf,and Tarr

both in vague order
                  [/quote]</P>

Interesting lists (including everyone who posted not just designersheep).</P>

I wouldn't say our taste is that similar, although we both obviously appreciate cinema as an art form and not as simple entertainment. I really like the inclusion of Woman in the dunes, Teshigahara also adapted a great book by japanese author Yasushi Inoue (Rikyu) that I would recommend.</P>

Comment

• kamsky
                    • Jan 2007

after wanting to see it for about two years, i finally saw philippe garrel's 'les amants réguliers' yesterday (it's being shown at the cinema village).<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>louis garrel's performance aside, it was very disappointing, in my estimation.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>has anyone else seen it? if so, i'd be interested to know what you've thought of it.</DIV>

Comment

• destroyed
                      • Nov 2006

watched pandora's box by g.w. pabst last night</p>

great film, surprisingly brutal
                      </p>

louise moore is extremely watchable; going to seek out more of her flicks

</p>
                      broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• interman
                        • Dec 2006

My last three: Pan's Labyrinth, The Last King of Scotland, and The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen), and they were all great in their own way.

Comment

• Servo2000
                          • Oct 2006

I just finished Jarmusch's Dead Man. You know, the one with Depp in it that barely made a million? I enjoyed it thoroughly, the soundtrack alone was incredible.
                          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• nairb49
                            • Dec 2006

^^One of my very favorites. Depp is amazing here. </p>

</p>

Faust-re: I am Sam</p>

Its so-so for me. Its very hollywood and a bit contrived, and personally I can't stand Dakota Fanning anymore after having seen an interview with her. </p>

That said, it gets the message across.
                            </p>

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

/\ yea, i think i'll skip.</p>

Dead Man was good? It's one of those movies that I constantly take in my hands at blockbuster and put it back. i'll add it to my netflix cue.</p>

I should be getting Kiki's Delivery Service today from netflix. i don't know who's more excited, my daughter or me.</p>
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• destroyed
                                • Nov 2006

RE: the title of this thread

</p>

Minnesota declaration: truth and fact in documentary cinema
                                "LESSONS OF DARKNESS"

</p>

1. By dint of declaration the so-called Cinema Verité is devoid of verité. It reaches a merely superficial truth, the truth of accountants.

</p>

2. One well-known representative of Cinema Verité declared publicly that truth can be easily found by taking a camera and trying to be honest. He resembles the night watchman at the Supreme Court who resents the amount of written law and legal procedures. "For me," he says, "there should be only one single law: the bad guys should go to jail."
                                Unfortunately, he is part right, for most of the many, much of the time.

</p>

3. Cinema Verité confounds fact and truth, and thus plows only stones. And yet, facts sometimes have a strange and bizarre power that makes their inherent truth seem unbelievable.

</p>

4. Fact creates norms, and truth illumination.

</p>

5. There are deeper strata of truth in cinema, and there is such a thing as poetic, ecstatic truth. It is mysterious and elusive, and can be reached only through fabrication and imagination and stylization.

</p>

6. Filmmakers of Cinema Verité resemble tourists who take pictures amid ancient ruins of facts.

</p>

7. Tourism is sin, and travel on foot virtue.

8. Each year at springtime scores of people on snowmobiles crash through the melting ice on the lakes of Minnesota and drown. Pressure is mounting on the new governor to pass a protective law. He, the former wrestler and bodyguard, has the only sage answer to this: "You can´t legislate stupidity."

</p>

9. The gauntlet is hereby thrown down.

</p>

10. The moon is dull. Mother Nature doesn´t call, doesn´t speak to you, although a glacier eventually farts. And don´t you listen to the Song of Life.

</p>

11. We ought to be grateful that the Universe out there knows no smile.

</p>

12. Life in the oceans must be sheer hell. A vast, merciless hell of permanent and immediate danger. So much of a hell that during evolution some species - including man - crawled, fled onto some small continents of solid land, where the Lessons of Darkness continue.

</p>

Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota April 30, 1999
                                Werner Herzog</p>

</p>

discuss...</p>
                                broken mirror, white terror

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡