Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKA*NYC
    • Nov 2007

this is the sci-fi film? judging from the trailer it looks like a mash-up of several predecessors such as solaris and 2001. so it's worth seeing?
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Grazzesto
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
      this is the sci-fi film? judging from the trailer it looks like a mash-up of several predecessors such as solaris and 2001. so it's worth seeing?
      Not too far into the movie I had guessed what the plot was (correctly), but I was still entirely engaged and sucked into the movie.

Definitely worth the watch.

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

Watched Il Divo (2008), am ambivalent towards the film, which I guess means it succeeded. Great cinematography throughout, the opening section was exhilarating in a way the first 30 seconds of the Stones' best or a Marty Scorsese in his prime are, but towards the end everything was reduced to an unknowable abstraction.
        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• snafu
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
          It's true the director doesn't deny its influences, but honestly im not such a si-fi movie fan so i havn't seen much to go but, seriously this is beautiful movie. The plot and idea is not hard to figure out both my girlfriend and i got it, but really the acting by sam is brilliant IMO and the movie does draw you in. Really good.

Also saw the ghost recently meh its not bad but nothing worth remembering.

In The loop is well worth a watch, fully enjoyed it

Gomorra was a bit disappointing, the trailer left me desperate to watch it but really afterwards it didn't live up to my expectations.

Le placard was quite a light hearted laugh

also re watched 21grams , loved it now when i never liked it before.

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

i liked 21 grams first time i saw it at time of release, never got the urge to watch it a second.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• sam_tem
              • Apr 2007

I watched Summer Hours and 35 Shots of Rum over the weekend. I found them to be both very well constructed french films in the vein of Rohmer. I just wish Claire Denis would do more to push herself at this point in her career, but i certainly can't fault her for her turning out solid films.

i really enjoyed In the Loop as well. it's refreshing to see some good british comedy that doesn't involve the same rotating cast like the more popular sitcoms (green wing, black books, nathan barley, peep show, spaced, mighty boosh, darkplace, etc.)

gomorrah was a good movie, but there was nothing to draw me in personally so it's nothing i ever plan on seeing again. Although different subject matter, when you compare it against other movies like A Prophet it definitely falls short. Also, do the italians realize that foreigners think Italy is just a joke with Berlusconi in office? i guess it was the same for america when we had Bush.

Comment

• unmetro
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sam_tem View Post
                I watched Summer Hours and 35 Shots of Rum over the weekend. I found them to be both very well constructed french films in the vein of Rohmer. I just wish Claire Denis would do more to push herself at this point in her career, but i certainly can't fault her for her turning out solid films.

i really enjoyed In the Loop as well. it's refreshing to see some good british comedy that doesn't involve the same rotating cast like the more popular sitcoms (green wing, black books, nathan barley, peep show, spaced, mighty boosh, darkplace, etc.)

gomorrah was a good movie, but there was nothing to draw me in personally so it's nothing i ever plan on seeing again. Although different subject matter, when you compare it against other movies like A Prophet it definitely falls short. Also, do the italians realize that foreigners think Italy is just a joke with Berlusconi in office? i guess it was the same for america when we had Bush.

Berlusconi(shiver).

this might not be the thread to discuss this, and i guess it could be considered old news...but from my discussions with friends...it appears major parts of France are degrading (or "upgrading/aggrading" depending on where you stand) to something akin to NYC back in the 70s/80s...there being much cultural/economic turmoil taking place...and from the sound of it, Italy is following quickly behind it...helped along by Berlusconi(shiver)....i'm curious whether anyone has had similar notions and experiences....or maybe it hasn't reached the Champs-Élysées yet ;-)

something more relevant...adrien brody looks wicked.
                Last edited by unmetro; 04-26-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• doldrums
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                  just watched Moon, seriously struck me. Best film iv watched in a long time.
                  i really enjoyed it as well. funny, i missed htrk this summer in london w/ you as went to see this. not a good trade but good enough that didn't regret it too much at the time.

Comment

• todestrieb
                    • Mar 2009

Nevermind Moon. Forget 2001. Solaris was tainted by Clooney's ugly mug (and whoever agreed to the remake should be pilloried). The sci-fi flick with heady metaphysical underpinnings and ah, existential concerns, to watch is John Carpenter's Dark Star. The ultimate parody of every sci-fi's ambition to philosophical grandeur, which in turn makes it meta-philosophically and positively asinine than an arse's behind. Funniest shit ever. As my late and great grandpapi would say to me, after umpteenth reruns of random Monty Python episodes on the old VHS, "Fucken bitumen humour, lad, fucken bitumen".

Last edited by todestrieb; 04-26-2010, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                      Watched Il Divo (2008), am ambivalent towards the film, which I guess means it succeeded. Great cinematography throughout, the opening section was exhilarating in a way the first 30 seconds of the Stones' best or a Marty Scorsese in his prime are, but towards the end everything was reduced to an unknowable abstraction.
                      Yes, but don't you find a meaningful statement therein, that politics for the viewer and voter has become so intricatly mazed and impossible to overview?

I enjoyed Il divo on every level. It's a metapolitical commentary but can also be seen as a straightforward, though character heavy plot movie.

The cinematography is great, tense and deliberate.

Comment

• klangspiel
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by sam_tem View Post
                        I just wish Claire Denis would do more to push herself at this point in her career, but i certainly can't fault her for her turning out solid films.
                        before you make that assessment, which is of couse a valid one to make, you should have a look at white material first. stellar stuff - one of her strongest work in a while. i loved 35 shots of rum but white material has a touch more "oomph" to it. i think she's pretty much pushing herself by honing and chipping away at a very engaging cinematic vocabulary that is fundamentally her own. the foundations are essentially there, it's more about getting things to work in a certain way, under particular circumstances. white material is a signature work which i doubt anyone else would have made, past and present. on another note, isabelle huppert in the leading role puts up a great performance worthy of the film. normally when it comes to assessing a film, i pay very little to no attention to the acting, it's the least of my concerns, or what makes or breaks a film for me. nonetheless, she's simply superb here, as always of course.

Originally posted by Jorge Hache View Post
                        Salo is far from being redemptive, it's a movie about cruelty and deshumanization, a hit in the face for the fascist bourgoise. A complex movie not for everyone. Jodorowsky is surreal, grotesque and funny.
                        pasolini's a funny man too. strikes me as a profound humorist, albeit one with a highly complex blacker-than-tar wit. salo, for instance, is pure satire, and quite possibly, the satire of the 20th century (and beyond), considering the subject matter that it chose to tackle and critique - fascism, not just fascism in the sense of mussolini, hitler, the genocide, auschwitz; but also fascism of the everyday: of how the seeds of totalitarianism exist even in the most microscopic level of our socio-cultural interactions. we are fascistic beings, or the very least we, the so-called human race, have fascistic tendencies no matter how much we deny it, or paper over it with our "gods", "morals", "values", "ethics", etc..

this quote from pasolini regarding salo is particularly telling, yet merely skims the surface of what he was trying to achieve:

“Clearly, the motivation came from the fact that I detest the power in today’s world, which manipulates the body horribly, and rivals Himmler and Hitler in every way. It manipulates the body by transforming it into conscience, establishing new values that are alienating and false. Consumerist values that fulfill what Marx calls a genocide of vital and real earlier cultures. For example, it destroyed Rome. Romans no longer exist.”

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Pasolini
                          Clearly, the motivation came from the fact that I detest the power in today’s world, which manipulates the body horribly, and rivals Himmler and Hitler in every way. It manipulates the body by transforming it into conscience, establishing new values that are alienating and false. Consumerist values that fulfill what Marx calls a genocide of vital and real earlier cultures. For example, it destroyed Rome. Romans no longer exist.
                          – – – – –

Originally posted by Foucault
                          The soul is the prison of the body.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ But isn't Marx in this case spouting the same nonsense as Hitler? If Rome was destroyed by consumerism, which I assume in his view causes some kind of softness of spirit and laziness, isn't the opposite of this a kind of a militaristic society (Visigoths) that leads to a fascist state? Isn't that exactly what Mussolini and Hitler wanted, strength of spirit?

And I think one could pretty successfully argue that in many cases we NEED a strong centralized government to combat the very forces that make the society lose vitality? I can't think of a better example than the U.S. federal government that stands about the governments of the individual states. I can only shudder to think what would happen if the states were left alone to govern themselves.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                              • Feb 2009

See my neighbour's article, available also in full text.

Comment

• laughed
                                • Jul 2009

Does anyone know if this film is available anywhere? torrent maybe or dvd? i see it has just now started screening but who knows. My favorite photographer.

He also had a movie of his own (not the fictional movie) that I can't seem to find anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎