• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nadir
    • May 2011

Originally posted by MASUGNEN View Post
    Melancholia sucked.
    That's a shame - where did you see it/what was wrong with it? Lars is usually so good.

Comment

• Avantster
      ¤¤¤
      • Sep 2006

Watched this at the Sydney film festival.

Béla Tarr - The Turin Horse (A torinói ló)

"In Turin on 3rd January, 1889, Friedrich Nietzsche steps out of the doorway of number six, Via Carlo Albert. Not far from him, the driver of a hansom cab is having trouble with a stubborn horse. Despite all his urging, the horse refuses to move, whereupon the driver loses his patience and takes his whip to it. Nietzsche comes up to the throng and puts an end to the brutal scene, throwing his arms around the horse’s neck, sobbing. His landlord takes him home, he lies motionless and silent for two days on a divan until he mutters the obligatory last words, and lives for another ten years, silent and demented, cared for by his mother and sisters. We do not know what happened to the horse.”
      let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

How was it?
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
          ¤¤¤
          • Sep 2006

I found it hauntingly beautiful. Slow and repetitious, but that's Tarr for you. Perhaps his most austere and meticulous film; only two main characters, hardly any dialogue, a single song soundtrack and the howling wind. Technically brilliant and thought provoking, the more I think about this film the more I like it.
          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Diego
            • Aug 2007

Recently:

Orozco el embalsamador, Tsurisaki Kiyotaka
            Evilspeak, Eric Weston
            A serbian film, Srđan Spasojević

Looking forward to Brothers Quay Maska

trailer

Comment

• MoFiya
              • Sep 2007

^ glad to see you posting again
              I have dreams of orca whales and owls
              But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

saw häxan by benjamin christensen on tv last nite. swedish production from 1922. macabre..

apparently there's a shorter version with burroughs as narrator:

Comment

• MoFiya
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                  A serbian film, Srđan Spasojević
                  Btw - did you really watch through the whole movie? I only followed the discussion on it and I thought to myself that there are borders a movie shouldn't cross / films I don't wanna see.
                  I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                  But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ Agreed
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Diego
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
                      Btw - did you really watch through the whole movie? I only followed the discussion on it and I thought to myself that there are borders a movie shouldn't cross / films I don't wanna see.
                      People will always watch what they want and as far as I know the movie has a very limited distribution, but the thing is that with all the loud press (like the sitges film festival incident) more people will want to see it.

I own a film production company that focuses on horror, fantasy and sci-fi so its obvious that I'll watch things that have to do with those genres and their sub-genres, my choice.

From a technical point of view I have to say that its very well made, good photography, good narrative, believable characters, etc... it didn't win all the prizes for nothing. As a father of two I hated the fucking thing and that's exactly what the movie wants... to make you uncomfortable. Even if its not my cup of tea and I have no plans to meet Spasojević, it works.
                      Last edited by Diego; 07-04-2011, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• KM80
                        • Mar 2008

I think that's the only movie I've actually stopped watching just because it was too fucked up and I'd seen enough.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Saw the new Almodovar film today, The Skin I Live In. Fucking warped, even by his standards.

Saw Tree of Life earlier. Unparalleled cinematography, beyond banal story - same as all of his other films.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                            • Nov 2007

^ you find the very meaning, purpose, and origin of existence to be a banal subject for cinema?! let me guess you're from new york.
                            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Haha, Ok, let me rephrase that. The idea is not banal, of course, but the treatment is. Same as in The Thin Red Line.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                Haha, Ok, let me rephrase that. The idea is not banal, of course, but the treatment is. Same as in The Thin Red Line.
                                i was underwhelmed by thin red line as well: it struck me as a run of the mill war film mashed up with a pbs nature documentary. tree of life won me over to his vision. i found it profound and wholly convincing.
                                LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎