Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

Badlands really is a fucking brilliant film on every conceivable aspect though, and the photography in that is probably the greatest ever in a film.

Going to see Tree of Life tomorrow; The Thin Red Line put me to sleep.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• AKA*NYC
      • Nov 2007

yeah totally agree with you on badlands - possibly the greatest of the american "auteur" films of the 70s - and tree of life may possibly be the best american film since badlands. at the same time i'm an admitted sucker for "meaning of life" themes and the tragic-epic approach to art.
      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Funny, put Badlands into my netflix cue yesterday. I have to say that I kinda liked Days of Heaven, but The Thin Red Line really made me angry. I thought his treatment of war was simply irresponsible. Here are young guys having their arms and head blown off and this one prick wondering around asking why we are killing fucking butterflies.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

just saw Tree of Life, was very very disappointed. It started off interesting enough, liked the elliptical pacing at the beginning and the big bang part did fascinate me, there was something to it that went beyond a simple National Geographic-esque rendition but more like Kubrick's 2001, great attention to musical scoring and editing. but by the time it focused on Jack's childhood and their family life for the core of the film it started getting very long-winded, the ending made me groan and to be honest I just couldn't wait to get out of there. Like Faust said, ultimately a banal treatment of its subject matter. I will commend the use of cinematography in the film though, very inventive camera use.
          www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Racefortheprize
            • Jul 2011

I heard a 6 hour version of Tree Of Life may be in the works... Couldbe interested to see more of adult Jack which I felt was lacking in the theatre release.

Comment

• Acéphale
              • Apr 2010

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• HreP
                • Mar 2011

Watched Paris nous appartient some days ago. I love Rivette and this film was a perfect start to his career, as it's a great introduction to his cinematic vision of anxious mysticism and uncertainty.
                Last edited by HreP; 07-19-2011, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Watched The Fighter. It was Ok - not bad, not great.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rider
                    eyes of the world
                    • Jun 2009

the film Buck is guaranteed to sit you back on your haunches. after all, horses mirror ourselves...no kidding, see it.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

Pasolini's Salo, finally. Cruel, painterly, mesmeric - one of my favorite films.
                      www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Has anyone seen the H.R.Giger documentary?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
                          • Apr 2008

watched Man Bites Dog (C'est arrivé près de chez vous) last night. im not the well rounded movie-man as some here, but goddamn that movie was terribly hilarious. sometimes i didn't feel comfortable laughing; an intentional reaction the filmmakers aimed to imbue. Strongly recommended, even just to see Benoit's stellar wardrobe. Very Yohji-as-gangster.

every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Oh, shit, LoTR extnded BluRay came out a month ago and nobody told me? Foul.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                              ^ you find the very meaning, purpose, and origin of existence to be a banal subject for cinema?! let me guess you're from new york.
                              I usually find more depth in films where people learn to wipe their hands on their jacket without a care (the killing of a chinese bookie) than with those that make grand proclamations and attempt an epic scope. My point of view though and obviously some directors manage to pull off the later.
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

What I resent is that there is absolutely no attempt at answering the cosmic questions he asks.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎