Comment

• Acéphale
      • Apr 2010

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• genevieveryoko
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Acéphale View Post
        you either speak french, or you have absurdly advanced comprehension skills
        Last edited by genevieveryoko; 09-15-2011, 11:10 PM.
        http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Acéphale
          • Apr 2010

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• Ochre
            • Sep 2009

Has anyone seen The Mill and the Cross yet? I'm going to see it in NY over the weekend. I've read mixed reviews but those who have reviewed it positively have said it's incredible. It certainly seems like an interesting premise and the visuals from what I can tell are stunning.

Comment

• klangspiel
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ochre View Post
              Has anyone seen The Mill and the Cross yet?
              definitely go see it. easily one of the best this year for me. visually arresting and densely detailed -- no easy feat trying to bring bruegel's the way to calvary to life.

it reminded me of that other film based on a painting, peter greenaway's nightwatching. the two films are premised on analyses of paintings. majewski's based on a scholarly work on the bruegel and greenaway's a fictional conjecture on rembrandt's night watch. both have the look and feel of stage plays than a conventional film. majewski also shares, since his earlier films, a very similar sense of filmic aesthetic to greenaway -- framing, scene set up, the camerawork, overall composition, etc.. the only difference being there's very little to no chatter in the majewski. and it assumes a far more surreal and darker tone and undertone than the greenaway, which is expected and befitting of bruegel's aesthetic universe.

Comment

• Ochre
                • Sep 2009

Yep.. saw it last night and it was nothing short of haunting. I was extremely impressed by nearly every aspect of the film, particularly the pacing and sound design. (My main issue with the film was the rigidity of the actors' movement. I'm wondering if this was intentional, to heighten the sense of painting becoming reality.. as if the movements are more robotic and less anatomical because they're not supposed to be "living" beings. But nevertheless, it was slightly distracting.) Both the pace and sound were so pivotal in establishing the sense of reality that these people lived in which is such a stark contrast from that of today. A step on the wooden floorboards of a house could carry throughout the entire structure and the only moments of speed and intensity were those of the children playing and the roar of the militia's horses. And I'm fairly certain if you were to take the audio of the entire film and put it on a CD it could stand on its own as a work of art it was so beautifully articulated.

The symbolism of the film and the painting coalesce nicely and it was quite fun dissecting it afterwards with my friends. The dominating and ever-present monolithic mill with its massive, inhuman architecture and oppressive grinding noises was definitely one of my favorite parts of the the film. And I really enjoyed how Majewski spent so much time revealing its as a character in its own right throughout the film.

Truly a stunning accomplishment and was nothing like I've ever seen before. I hope people who have never been able to find much appreciation in painting, particularly of the period, will be inspired after watching that film to examine other paintings more for their latent symbolism and meaning.

This was one of my favorite scenes and is exemplary of the care put into every aspect of the film from the monologue, pacing, wardrobe, composition, and especially lighting.

Comment

• Acéphale
                  • Apr 2010

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                    • Oct 2009

Highly recommended!

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

/\ Cool. It's in my Netflix queue.

Watched the Bill Cunningham doc - it's outstanding! Highly recommended.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        /\ Cool. It's in my Netflix queue.

Watched the Bill Cunningham doc - it's outstanding! Highly recommended.
                        Loved the Bill Cunningham doc was lucky enough to catch in the cinema while I was in NYC earlier this year!
                        Quite moving actually!

Winters Bone is a great and intense watch, enjoy!
                        "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• Calimero
                          • Jul 2010

Yesterday night i've watched Poltergeist from Tobe Hooper, i've never watched it before and even if it's a kinda old movie, i've really appreciate the movie and some scene are really creepy/scary. The little blonde girl in the movie just freakin' me out.

Also watched The Fountain from Aronofsky, appreciate the movie don't know exactly why, liked the story with th spiritual stuff...

And tomorrow i'm going to watch L'Apollonide in movie theater.

Comment

• Acéphale
                            • Apr 2010

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I want to go to the movies this weekend. What should I see in NYC?
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• klangspiel
                                • Apr 2007

^ the mill and the cross. refer to ochre's post. it's on a limited run at the film forum. i myself would love to see it again... and again. multiple viewings seem to be the only way to go with films of the kind.

speaking of multiple viewings, i saw phillipe grandrieux's un lac for the fourth time just the other day, but this time with grandrieux himself present. the film was as intense as i remembered it. during the post-screening q&a session, i was particularly struck by a comment from the floor. the comment likened the viewing of pivotal scenes from the film to the experience of seeing a father, a child and a horse for the very first time. for instance, when the father figure makes his first appearance in the film, it was like experiencing the presence of a father for the first time.

i also had the opportunity of viewing grandrieux's latest which is a film portrait on masao adachi. adachi's relatively obscure, but i couldn't even begin to express his importance within the annals of cinematic history, particularly "political cinema" and especially as a landmark exemplar of when the intersection of aesthetics and politics are blurred to indistinction. cf. the red army/pflp: declaration of world war (co-worked with koji wakamatsu) as a monumental piece of work.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎