• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

/\ When can I hire you? :-)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ochre
      • Sep 2009

Clearly klang is due to pay NY a visit.

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

Comment

• Rayuela
          • Oct 2010

@Galia

Yessssss to Liquid Sky; delicious, delicious.

Comment

• just finally came around to see Melancholia. Was not disappointed. All of it worked so well for me. I still feel heavy.

Comment

• snafu
              • Apr 2008

klang , ace ...

any recommendations from the schedule ?

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Anyone else looking forward to The Rum Diary or is it just me?! Love Thompson, love Depp, and the movie has had quite a long hard road out of hell. I hope it's good...
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sam_tem
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                  klang , ace ...

http://www.bfi.org.uk/lff/films/
                  i don't really keep up with the times, but these are what i'd see based on name recognition:

kid with a bike - the Dardennes are always solid
                  shame - to see how McQueen is progressing
                  alps - cuz of dogtooth, obviously
                  bernie - jack black in the hands of linklater sounds fun
                  carnage - polanski surprised me with how well-crafted ghost writer was
                  dark horse - solondz
                  faust - sokurov
                  the future - miranda july
                  hara-kiri - if miike is doing a remake of the classic hara-kiri then it's a must see
                  once upon a time in anatolia - ceylan
                  rampart - dunno, for some reason i like woody harrelson
                  restless - gus van sant, with reservation of course
                  tahrir 2011 - be nice to see the drama of regime change up close
                  almayer's folly - akermann

looks like a ton of other good films regardless, too much to see

Comment

• swami
                    • Jul 2008

Beautifully shot ! Brilliantly acted ! While not perfect the movie is pretty damn good , Probably his best work since BREAKING THE WAVES which was my favorite. I could not sit through ANTICRIST but this is way more approachable!

Comment

• underdog
                      • Aug 2009

Hello fellow SZ'ers - I'm in the midst of producing a collaborative feature length doc called Far From Afghanistan. Are there other filmmakers here on the forum?

Inspired by the 1967 Chris Marker helmed collective film, FAR FROM VIETNAM (LOIN DU VIETNAM), John Gianvito conceived of FAR FROM AFGHANISTAN as a project to bring together some of the boldest, most politically-progressive US filmmakers. The final version will also include contributions from native filmmakers throughout Afghanistan. Together they will utilize a mosaic of approaches, and explore issues of shared responsibility, history and memory, in a concerted effort to help accelerate resistance to the war. John Gianvito brought together filmmakers Jon Jost, Minda Martin, Travis Wilkerson, and Soon-Mi Yoo - a strong, diverse group of filmmakers all of whom have embraced the challenge of this ambitious endeavor, a clarion call for an end to the US war in Afghanistan, that looks deeper at the issues these 10 years of occupation and violence have wrought. (http://farfromafghanistan.org/full-project-details/)

We currently have a kickstarter campaign underway. If this is a project that you support in principal possibly you could also make a contribution to help see it to completion -

Comment

• jogu
                        • Jun 2009

fiiiinally get to see the trailer !! some friends and i been dyin to see it when we hrd bout it a while ago . god it looks good as hell , i rarely watch movies i cant sit still for long unless its somethin i genuinely wanna see like this one . last time i remember goin to the movies was to see hot fuzz i think like 4 yrs ago . i ended up goin twice cos i liked it

Comment

• klangspiel
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                          klang , ace ...

http://www.bfi.org.uk/lff/films/
                          shit, late, sorry but only just saw your post.
                          i don't know what your preferences are like so i can only recommend films that i'd personally watch if i were in london right now. also, i'm not sure if these films i'm about to recommend are still on schedule for any screenings.

first and foremost: the experimental films programme. the entire programme looks amazing. there's a bunch of stuff from ben rivers. you might be familiar with the name via paul harnden. ph has commissioned some of his past work and collaborated as well. looks like he has a new film about jake williams which i believe is a follow-up film on the latter (incidentally that previous film was a ph commission). his other film on the programme is what i can only describe as a dystopic travelogue of sorts with a humorously absurdist bent to it. other films on that experimenta programme: mekas - guerin, pip chodorov's free radicals, lisandro alonso & albert serra, jame benning, ben russell, nat dorsky, etc.. all are great!

outside of that programme: new films from chantal akermann, sokurov, glawogger, hong san-soo, kongsakul, rasoulof, dumont, panahi, herzog, ceylan, schleinzer, zvyagintsev, morais, de serio,....

archival stuff: nicholas ray's we can't go home again.
                          wonderful london looks very promising particularly if you're one for pre-war ('20s) imageries and sensibilities.
                          Last edited by klangspiel; 10-17-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• neodym
                            • Jan 2009

Comment

• Calimero
                              • Jul 2010

Just saw 2001 : A Space Odyssey, and wow i feel guilty for not watching this movie earlier. My god the shot are amazing, the special effect are amazing for an "old movie". I was totally taken into this.
                              Last edited by Calimero; 10-22-2011, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• Acéphale
                                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Calimero View Post
                                "old movie".

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢