Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laughed
    • Jul 2009

thanks fade. got diagnosed with a couple small diseases (not too bad, but something i will have to live with and manage the rest of my life) and some treatable stomach and intestine issues, small bit of surgery but feeling MUCH better. Thank God I don't feel like i'm on my deathbed anymore!
    atmosphere - turin horse is on thepiratebay. it is avi quality and has a ticker on the bottom. it's real though. the opening scene is pretty outstanding but after watching it i turned it off, knowing that i would have to see it on the big screen first. thankfully that will be the case in 6 days.

Comment

• Atmosphere
      • Jan 2010

Thanks a lot Laughed, will have to check that out! Oh and btw, I'd like to recommend Mother and Son by Aleksander Sokurov to those who haven't seen it. A true masterpiece, and one of my all time favourites.

Comment

• klangspiel
        • Apr 2007

here's the real opening scene of turin horse and not the parody that was posted a couple of posts back. i feel it's a film that's going to be herculean to top for a very long time. there's a particular scene early on in the film that might interest some people here - the female lead laboriously and austerely putting on layer upon layer upon layer of heavily weighted (and textured) clothing just before leaving the house in order to brave the chilling cold outside.

Originally posted by Atmosphere View Post
        I'd like to recommend Mother and Son by Aleksander Sokurov to those who haven't seen it.
        great film. a very recent classic that's for sure.
        sokurov's latest, faust, is another gem as well. one of a handful of my favourite films from this year.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
          • Nov 2007

odd place to raise this point but did anyone else spot the strange parallel between nietzsche's turin horse episode and raskolnikov's dream of the horse being whipped in crime and punishment? raskolnikov's dream was supposedly inspired by a dream of dostoevsky's and nietzsche was an avid dostoevsky reader etc.
          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• chameleon
            • Jun 2008

^you should definitely watch this, and more or less everything else by Yoshida. I started with Eros + Massacre and Heroic Purgatory and then sort of worked my way backwards, watched all of the ones he did with Mariko Okada in no particular order (I still haven't seen a few of his earliest films). I'm still bummed that a complete retrospective of his movies was planned during my stay in Tokyo last year but got delayed until I left. I would've happily watched all of them on the big screen without subtitles and enjoyed every second of it.
            Last edited by chameleon; 11-09-2011, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Klang, where did you get to see Faust? I've been trying to track down a copy for the past week (for obvious reasons), but no luck.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laughed
                • Jul 2009

Pedro Costa (my fav) "I'll do another short, more a museum thing, and then I'll go back to Japan to do another short film, I don't know the idea, but it will be a film with other directors, probably Godard and Sokurov."

Comment

• Czx
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Klang, where did you get to see Faust? I've been trying to track down a copy for the past week (for obvious reasons), but no luck.
                  Please do tell. Would love to see a decent adaptation of this masterpiece, I didn't knew it was even produced and from what I see with fairly decent results, and to think sometime ago I was thinking how cool would be to see it transformed to screen decently.
                  néant
                  Last.FM paranoia
                  Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
                  0 > ∞

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

The kickstarter page for the Official / Backed by Obey Studios narrative film about Shepard Fairey's origin story in Providence at Rhode Island School of Design is up. I'm the Art Director for this film and we'd appreciate anything you can donate!

I understand Shepard is probably somewhat 'above the radar' for a lot of people here but I think the project will turn out well (good script / narrative) and everyone working on it is very talented.
                    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• laughed
                      • Jul 2009

sounds interesting servo. if you don't mind me asking why did you decide to shoot red? not that i have anything against it, just wondering. how long do you think you will be shooting?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
                        The kickstarter page for the Official / Backed by Obey Studios narrative film about Shepard Fairey's origin story in Providence at Rhode Island School of Design is up. I'm the Art Director for this film and we'd appreciate anything you can donate!

I understand Shepard is probably somewhat 'above the radar' for a lot of people here but I think the project will turn out well (good script / narrative) and everyone working on it is very talented.
                        You need kickstarter for the official obey doc? That's funny.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                          • Oct 2006

I suspect they have their own in-house documentaries / films coming up soon. We just worked really hard to make sure we could do a good job with the material that we thought hadn't been covered and would make for an interesting story and approached them about doing it - they were kind enough to endorse us and are helping with locating funding as well but we'd like to raise as much of the money we need ourselves.
                          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• mattizzle
                            • Oct 2011

Primer

The most underated sci-fi film I have ever seen. Highly recommended!
                            Very creative, extremely well thought out & intelligent film.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                              • Dec 2006

thanks for the Yoshida rec, Acephale.

anybody catch Grant Gee's Patience (After Sebald) at the NYFF?

takes a while for things to make the rounds to San Francisco. waiting for Tarr and Ceylan's films - i read Cinema Guild picked them up for US release and they say by the end of the year?? come sooner, please. i can see it now: December night, Turin Horse, and some old ale.

Comment

• laughed
                                • Jul 2009

no spoilers

So I checked out both Once Upon A Time in Anatolia and Shame. Tomorrow I'll see The Turin Horse. In my mind I guess I was going in thinking - hmmm…which one will I love more? The answer after tonight isn't even a question - SHAME. I won't give a review so much because I'm not good with that but a couple of thoughts.

First, Once Upon A Time.. has some great shots, as usual. No one does little bits of comedy sprinkled in like Nuri. It was a great film but maybe I didn't love it so much because one of my favorite movies is Distant, and I think that Distant has one of the greatest endings of any movie. It perfectly sums up what you watched and is quite emotional and really makes you think. Once Upon A Time… on the other hand missed the mark. It ends in a similar fashion but there are so many questions left unaddressed. I really can't say much without spoiling it, but trust me, this is a repeated viewing movie, but not only that - i do believe that a lot of people will say "he left it up to interpretation" but I don't believe that. I think that he was going for something but didn't really pull it off. It is a beautiful movie, the pace is wonderful, etc. But without giving anything away - you don't know who did what. you don't know what this person did with that person, etc. If he would have given an ending more similar to Distant it would be a masterpiece….he does - almost, and really QUITE similar, but the audience is still left asking WAY TOO MANY QUESTIONS. All in all, it was a GREAT movie though. It is certainly a movie that could have pages of debates and discussion on a forum as to what it all meant.
                                I use the Ebert 4-star scale, so Once Upon A Time… 3 1/2 - it may be a 4, but I still haven't really figured out what I saw. I almost feel like in a week I will come back and say it is a 4 and an absolute masterpiece…..it does require repeated viewings. On a side note, the film was a blu-ray dvd projected so I'm gonna take a guess and say there is no film version.

on the other hand...

Shame was incredible. It was annoying that there were security guards from Fox there with video cameras - using the night vision setting to scan the audience the entire freaking time as to prevent pictures and bootleg copies. VERY ANNOYING.
                                Anyway -
                                The beginning shows Fassbender's character Brandon giving the eyes to a woman on the metro. he then follows her up the steps onto the street. Sounds simple enough but the score by Harry Escott is one of the best scores ever made (reminds me of Basinski and Celer stuff amped up times 1000) - and it literally grabbed me and made my heart go "oh man, this is incredible". Again, this movie GRABS you, almost physically. UNBELIEVABLE. Throughout the movie the score and the sound in general are perfect. so much attention to detail. i thought the movie would be good but it is GREAT. It is better than Hunger, I would go so far as to say it is better than Hunger by a MILE, and Hunger is damn fine movie.
                                There is a scene at the end of the movie with carey mulligan that once it began the entire audience was like "holy F what the F?!" she is unbelievable in the movie and she really doesn't have that much screen time. But when she does - wow. This is one of the best new york city movies. It perfectly captures the city and the people of the city - pretty much spot on.
                                When the movie ends the score that started the movie ends the movie and as it was ending I was literally thinking "My God. This movie is UNBELIEVABLE!" The score is just so damn good with what is being shown. jesus. Also, I really couldn't help but see Fassbender as a young Daniel-Day.
                                Every single person cast is perfectly cast and the cinematography is astounding. I just checked this out on IMDB to see a name (Nicole Beharie who was perfect) - and I scrolled down to read "A Masterpiece!"….I was struggling on whether or not I would go there but you know what - I will -
                                THIS MOVIE IS A MASTERPIECE!!!!! There I said it.
                                It is without a doubt the best movie I have seen all year and I left with my brother and we were both saying the same thing - Can't wait for the Blu-Ray. Can't wait to see it again in theaters, can't wait to see the next McQueen movie, etc.
                                It is one of those movies where I now want to see every movie that even some of the supporting cast has been in. I want every piece of music that Harry Escott has done, every piece of film that Sean Bobbitt has touched and I can't wait for the next McQueen which I'm sure will be staring Fassbender.
                                This movie is a MUST SEE.
                                It is true that McQueen is a different director than a Ceylan or Tarr and in many respects will and can never be on their level. But for the subject matter he deals with and the way he approaches it, semi-hollywood in a way, this movie is about to catapult him into another dimension and another level, and has without a doubt made of the best movies of the last 10 years.
                                Again, this is a must see and I honestly can't wait to see it again.

Turin Horse - I know it's out there floating on the net but for what it's worth just saw it. This one, like the Ceylan was a blu-ray dvd blown-up to show on the size of the screen. Is this the new thing now? I know it's cheaper but not that much cheaper. I don't get it.
                                Either way, man, this movie was PAINFUL. And by painful i mean Bela Tarr doesn't give a damn about the audience. He just doesn't.
                                The movie is painfully repetitive and depressing. And by painful I don't mean boring or bad. By depressing I don't mean depressing in a way that Blue Valentine is depressing. It's Bela Tarr. That's it. The movie follows a pattern where the title states "Day One".."Day Two"….etc. The things that happen in Day One - man tries to get horse to go into to town, horse won't, horse goes back in shed, man's daughter dresses and undresses him, she goes to the well to get water, she cooks potatoes, they eat potatoes, they go to bed. THIS HAPPENS EVERY DAY ALMOST EXACTLY AS I DID THE FIRST DAY. It is filmed exactly like it was filmed the first day. So you are pretty much watching the same thing over and over and over. I MEAN THE SAME THING. There is a great scene where a man comes to purchase some brandy and he gives a little monologue - this is one of my favorite scenes in the film. There is also a scene where gypsies come to pay a visit but other than that - same. I won't give away the ending but I will say that it does come a bit unexpected and is typical Bela Tarr. But, I LOVED THE WAY IT ENDED. The ending makes this movie what it is - the timing of the ending. I also really loved the way the titles and names of the crew were displayed - very simple but done in Bela Tarr's way.
                                Yes, this movie is VERY DEMANDING of the viewer but in the end - it pays off. It takes a lot of balls to end it the way he did and I respect him that much more for it.

Final Verdict of the weekend of movies - 1. The Turin Horse 2. Shame 3. Once Upon A Time In Anatolia
                                Bela Tarr's movies MUST be seen on the big screen, there is frankly no comparison. Seeing people walk out because of the pace. Seeing people (including myself) squirm in their seats, trying to get comfortable for another 10 minutes, 20 minutes of Tarr. Leaving the theatre I heard "Well that was an upbeat movie." and "That movie was fucking terrible." I ran into a couple on the elevator and they asked how I liked it and I said it was great. They asked where Bela was from - I told them. They both told me that they thought they were going to see a movie about Italy because they knew Turin was in Italy. Instead they say a Bela Tarr film and needless to say it looked like they had seen a ghost. It is an experience to see it on the big screen because it is so demanding. And something about seeing Fred Kelemen and Tarr's name on the big screen.
                                Shame must be seen on the big screen if only to hear the powerful score as loud as possible. Again, this is an absolute must see when it hits theaters and although it is a "Saturday Night Movie" - it delivers BIG TIME.
                                Once Upon A Time In Anatolia is a great film but I would say that it is the worst of all Ceylans. Which is still great but if you're hoping to be floored, don't get your hopes up.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎