X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Paging Fuuma - is Great Gatsby with Redford/Farrow on your list? I am buying a few movies (cheap), and it's one of the two decent ones I found.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="Faust"]Paging Fuuma - is Great Gatsby with Redford/Farrow on your list? I am buying a few movies (cheap), and it's one of the two decent ones I found.
      [/quote]</p>

I&#39;ve never seen it....</p>

Oh and there are hundreds of movies I like that aren&#39;t on this list.</p>

</p>

Good call on the bicycle thief, I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll enjoy it, especially if you liked other neorealist movies (i.e. rome open city)</p>
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• mass
        • Sep 2006

i love this gun for hire, as you might imagine. good pick, among all the others on your list.

by the way, since you're only picking one film from any director for the list, are the films on the list your favorite from that particular director? ie maltest falcon is your favorite huston? i mean for me a favorite film 'of all time' may not be my favorite in the context of only the director's films (and that also, is completely separate from what i would think is his/her best work, etc)... so i'm just curious.

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]i love this gun for hire, as you might imagine. good pick, among all the others on your list.

by the way, since you&#39;re only picking one film from any director for the list, are the films on the list your favorite from that particular director? ie maltest falcon is your favorite huston? i mean for me a favorite film &#39;of all time&#39; may not be my favorite in the context of only the director&#39;s films (and that also, is completely separate from what i would think is his/her best work, etc)... so i&#39;m just curious.[/quote]</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Clarification: I&rsquo;ve included two films by the same director a couple of times&hellip;.maybe I should revise the list and change my criteria to only one film per director. Anyway when you&rsquo;re making such a list a little bit of cheating never hurts.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">I didn&rsquo;t rationalize the list to the point you describe (pitting best of all time VS my favourite VS best considering the director&rsquo;s canon), whenever I think of a film or director I&rsquo;ll just throw around those I like the most or are more important/relevant to me. Sometimes I&rsquo;ll have the excruciating pain of choosing, for example, which Wong-Kar-Wai stays in and which stays out, I don&rsquo;t even remember the ones I&rsquo;ve kept, could be any among Days of being wild, ashes of time, Chungking express, Fallen angels, Happy together or In the mood for love. There are of course loads of omissions and I could certainly do another top100 without including any of the ones in this list. Those were just easier to choose/bring back to memory because they&rsquo;re mostly from my DVD collection or watching journal (started pretty recently-jan 2005). There is also some sort of dreamlike associative logic where I&rsquo;ll think about a film which for some reason will evoke another, leading me in turn to the next one.</span></p>

</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

<u>Fuuma&#39;s top 100 movies: 50s</u></p><ul>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Rashomon/Japan/Kurosawa/1950: Well known for its use of contradicting flashbacks. The long take where the woodsman is walking through the forest is the perfect example of music, camerawork and previous narrative drive coming together in a magical moment (even though it&rsquo;s just a dude walking through the woods)</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span lang="EN-CA">Tokyo</span><span lang="EN-CA"> story/Japan/Ozu/1953: Very clich&eacute; choice but this is so moving and affecting I had to include it</span></font></font></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Touchez pas au grisbi<span> </span>France/Becker<span> </span>/1954: Another great heist/crime flick with Jean Gabin</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Seven samurai, the/Japan/Kurosawa/1954: Kurosawa shows such a mastery of movement; the quintessential &ldquo;action&rdquo; film</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Diabolique/Diaboliques, les/France/Clouzot<span> </span>/1955: Another gripping Clouzot thriller, this one has lost none of its punch. Hitchcock liked it so much he asked the authors (Boileau/Narcejac) of the original story to write something for him which resulted in Vertigo.</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Rififi/Rififi chez les hommes, du/France/Dassin/1955: Classic long heist sequence, uninterrupted by music or speech, which would inspire countless directors (and real life criminals) in years to come </font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Bob le flambeur/France/Melville/1955: Great morality tale about gangster honour, luck and getting older. The street sequences are exquisite and definitely inspired the new wave directors who started shooting on location, with natural light and portable cameras. </font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Night and fog/Nuit et brouillard/France/Resnais/1955: 30 Min documentary about the Holocaust (among the first ones made), might be less graphic than some but the quality of the direction and narration makes it all the more effecting</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">A man escaped/Un condamn&eacute; &agrave; mort s&#39;est &eacute;chapp&eacute;/France/Bresson/1956: Bresson&rsquo;s minimalist, almost ascetic vision of cinema shines through in this tale of quiet perseverance.</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Paths of Glory<span> </span>/USA/Kubrick/1957: This, and all quiet on the western front, are my favourite (anti) war movies. Oh and it&rsquo;s the only Kubrick film on the list.</font></font></span></div>[*]<div class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="color: black"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Vertigo/USA/Hitchcock/1958: The most personal of Hitchcock&rsquo;s movies, the tale of a man who obsessively tries to transform a woman into something else (a physical projection of his own fantasies) to the point of obliterating her own identity. Everything is twisted and spiralling in this film, from staircases and roads to the heroine&rsquo;s hairdo.</font></span><span lang="EN-CA"></span></div>[/list]

</p>

Comment

• mass
              • Sep 2006

eventually i would love to see a (for example) top 10 list of favorite films & filmmakers from everybody...!

just the mention of riffifi puts that song right back in my head...

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]eventually i would love to see a (for example) top 10 list of favorite films &amp; filmmakers from everybody...! just the mention of riffifi puts that song right back in my head...[/quote]</p>

Just ten films doesn&#39;t say much about someone, but add some thematic elements and then the top 10s become quite fun. This can be quite poetic and evocative &quot;top 10 films you think about when I saybodies&quot; or specific &quot;best 10 movies with car accidents&quot; or even genre/period related &quot;ten best french new wave&quot;. Rififi=pure magic, theoriginal french title sounds a lot more macho (I guess it could be translatedas&quot;battle among men&quot; or something of that nature, rififi=old slang for battle, conflict, confrontation, chaos, etc.)though, which is good in that case.</p>

</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

<u>Fuuma&#39;s top 100 movies: 60s</u></p><ul type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Breathless/&Agrave; bout de souffle/France/Godard/1960: Frantic, fun, irreverential, innovative. <span lang="EN-CA">It&rsquo;s a monument but without any of the pomposity associated with that concept.</span></font></font><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><font face="Times New Roman"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3">Avventura, l&#39;/Italy/Antonioni/1960: This could be called sex and architecture, the attention given to bodies, shapes and forms is amazing. So modern in its aesthetic and mindset, pretty much everything else looks dated when compared to it. </font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt">&ldquo;-Godard: The drama is no longer psychological, but plastic.-Antonioni: It&#39;s the same thing&rdquo; (okay this conversation was about Red Desert but still&hellip;)</span></font><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span lang="EN-CA">Dolce vita, la/Italy/Fellini/1960: So stylish </span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"></span></font></font><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Last year at Marienbad/L&rsquo;ann&eacute;e derni&egrave;re &agrave; Marienbad/France/Resnais/1961: Not so much a logical film as one made to evoke concepts and memories. A great discussion starter, you can talk about it&rsquo;s meaning for hours after a viewing</font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Leopard, the/Italy/Visconti/1963: The last days of the aristocratic era made by a communist prince, who, by virtue of his dual nature, conveys the right mix of hope and melancholy</font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Band of outsiders/Bande &agrave; part/France/Godard/1964: Godard successfully re-arranges the polar for his own device</font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Woman in the dunes/Japan/Teshigahara/1964: The most tactile film I&rsquo;ve ever seen and a powerful existentialist allegory.</font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span lang="EN-CA">Battle of Algiers, theAlgeria/Pontecorvo/1965: At times you feel like you&rsquo;re watching a documentary. I attended a screening where a couple of the actors where present (some of them are now important members of the Algerian government) and they were basically playing themselves, blurring the line between reality and fiction. This is essential viewing in these times of terrorism hysteria </span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"></span></font></font><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Blow-up/Italy/Antonioni/1966: Swinging London meet Antonioni&rsquo;s take on reality and bourgeois existential ennui. Asks a lot of interesting questions about art, representation and truth.</font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Persona/Sweden/Bergman/1966: If you&rsquo;re interested in the nature of identity and individuality see this. </font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"><span></span></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span lang="EN-CA">Belle de jour/France/Bunuel/1967: Threads the murkier depths of human sexuality </span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"></span></font></font><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Samourai, le/France/Melville/1967: Delon is the height of laconic cool in this, Melville&rsquo;s hieratic characters, reminiscent of the style of Bresson, seem to be unable or unwilling to escape the highly codified destinies the filmmaker has in store for them</font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Stolen kisses/Bais&eacute;s vol&eacute;s/France/Truffaut/1968: Breezy and fun without being inconsequential. Every man can recognize at least part of himself in eternal adolescent Antoine Doinel</font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Once upon a time in the west/Italy/Leone/1968: The western to end all westerns, so epic it hasn&rsquo;t been topped yet.</font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Unfaithful one, the/Femme infid&egrave;le, la/France/Chabrol/1969: Had to pick a Chabrol, any number of his movies could have been included. Chabrol is the master of thrillers illustrating the &ldquo;bourgeois malaise&rdquo;</font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Z/France/Costa-Gavras/1969: Major entry in the political film genre</font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"> </span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; color: black; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">My night at Maud&#39;s/Ma nuit chez Maud/France/Rohmer/1969: Be warned that Rohmer&rsquo;s movies are ultra talkative and unabashedly intellectual (that&rsquo;s a good thing, right?) but the ethical dilemmas he poses are always fascinating</font></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana"></span>[/list]

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

This is awesome. I&#39;ve only seen La Dolce Vita and Persona out of these. Must add Battle of Algiers.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                      • Sep 2006

60s and 70s are when most of my favorite films are from, looking forward to the rest of the list! the only film i haven't seen there is last night at marienbad so i will definitely check it out.

faust you should check out the leopard, i think you may like it. actually i don't know if you will since i don't know what your taste is... but it's great and the set/costumes are very epic. it's famous for a ballroom scene butttt there is a scene early in the film that imo is a perfect scene... uhm i don't really know how to describe it but it's right after the war and the camera just goes through all the people sitting still during the ceremony or whatever. god i'm inarticulate. fuuma do you know which scene i'm talking about?

btw there aren't enough american films on your list :D

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]60s and 70s are when most of my favorite films are from, looking forward to the rest of the list! the only film i haven&#39;t seen there is last night at marienbad so i will definitely check it out.

faust you should check out the leopard, i think you may like it. actually i don&#39;t know if you will since i don&#39;t know what your taste is... but it&#39;s great and the set/costumes are very epic. it&#39;s famous for a ballroom scene butttt there is a scene early in the film that imo is a perfect scene... uhm i don&#39;t really know how to describe it but it&#39;s right after the war and the camera just goes through all the people sitting still during the ceremony or whatever. god i&#39;m inarticulate. fuuma do you know which scene i&#39;m talking about?

btw there aren&#39;t enough american films on your list :D[/quote]</p>

I&#39;m also quite partial to the 60s and 70s...</p>

Definitely check Las year at Marienbad, particularly if you&#39;re interested in &quot;nouveau roman&quot;, the scenario is by Alain Robbe-Grillet.</p>

I should re-watch the Leopard, haven&#39;t seen it in a while, do you mean a scene that comes right after the very animated scene where Tancrede (Delon) participates in active combat?</p>

You&#39;re right about the lack of american films, I just noticed there are none in the 60s, gotta say there&#39;s a total of 18/100 though....</p>

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                          • Sep 2006

Godard, Antonioni, Fellini, Bu&ntilde;uel, Bergman, Chabrol....the sixties were really an interesting decade defining cinema and redefining it&#39;s boundaries, at least 5 of the movies in the list are all time favouritesof mine(an certainly in my beloved dvd&#39;s collection), can&#39;t wait to see the 70&#39;s one, thnx fumma</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;gutpocho&quot;]

Godard, Antonioni, Fellini, Bu&ntilde;uel, Bergman, Chabrol....the sixties were really an interesting decade defining cinema and redefining it&#39;s boundaries, at least 5 of the movies in the list are all time favouritesof mine(an certainly in my beloved dvd&#39;s collection), can&#39;t wait to see the 70&#39;s one, thnx fumma</p>

[/quote]</p>

Glad to see another fan of the list of directors you mentionned. By the way which 5 movies are among your favorites?</p>

<u>Fuuma&#39;s top 100 movies: 70s</u></p><ul style="margin-top: 0cm" type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Get carter/UK/Hodges/1971: Hard hitting hard-boiled action/thriller with Michael Caine who displays serious acting chops</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Aguirre, the wrath of god/Germany/Herzog/1972: Herzog characters are always on the brink of madness as they vainly grasp at something beyond the reach of Man.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Money Money Money/Aventure c&#39;est l&#39;aventure, L&#39;/France/Lelouch/1972: Very funny film about a bunch of gangsters who take advantage of the 70s political instability to further their monetary interests. Watch out for the Stalin Ferrari jokes.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Godfather, the<span> </span>/USA/Coppola/1972: Everybody has seen this&hellip;</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Magnificent one, the/Magnifique, le/France/DeBroca/1973: The ancestor to all those whacked out spy comedies (see Austin powers). This is a personal favourite but be warned that I like Belmondo in anything, even when he&rsquo;s over-acting like crazy</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Mother and the whore, the/Maman et la putain, la/France/Eustache/1973: Eustache truly is a children of the new wave and this film about post may 68 relationships is as good as any of the major entries in the new wave canon</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Mad adventures of rabbi Jacob, the/Aventures de rabbi Jacob, les/France/Oury/1973: &ldquo;Salomon, but you&rsquo;re a jew!!??&rdquo; says the main character to his driver, DeFunes is hilarious and this film is a good showcase for his physical brand of humour. Pretty low brow but always hilarious</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Day for night/Nuit am&eacute;ricaine, la/France/Truffaut/1973: Truffaut&rsquo;s love of cinema shines through in this film. I love how all the characters are so enthusiastic about the decidedly mediocre movie they&rsquo;re making. </font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Long goodbye, the/USA/Altman/1973: A classic noir novel meets 70s Californian indolence</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Enter the dragon/USA/Clouse/1973: That&rsquo;s some kickass kung fu, Bruce Lee can only play Bruce Lee but he does it with so much charisma it doesn&rsquo;t matter</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Going places/Valseuses, les/France/Blier/1974: The original (French) title is slang for testicles and this road movie about masculinity, youth and all around male anarchistic behaviour spares no one along it&rsquo;s joyous course. Blier would later make one about the more feminine side of men with &ldquo;Tenue de soir&eacute;e&rdquo;.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Godfather part II/USA/Coppola/1974: Everybody has also seen this&hellip;</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Chinatown/USA/Polanski/1974: Another 70s take on noir, one of the great roles of Nicholson.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Graveyard of honor/Japan/Fukasaku/1975: Filmed in a gritty, documentary style, this movie presents a character consumed by an inextinguishable lust for (self) destruction. Like many of Fukasaku&rsquo;s movies the focus is on post WWII Japanese life among the many individuals destabilized by that period.<span> </span></font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Taxi driver/USA/Scorsese/1976: Shots of the city at night are impressive. This movie makes you think about what we, as viewers, are really asking for when we want the main character to give us the &ldquo;pay off&rdquo;.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Annie Hall/USA/Allen/1977: The quintessential Allen movie, it&rsquo;s hard not to love Annie Hall</font></font></span>[/list]

Comment

• dontbecruel
                              • Sep 2006

I love Altman but I especially LOVE the Long Goodbye. Particularly for the crazy experimental sound recording and the way the theme song reappears in different guises everywhere Marlow goes.</p>

Great choice! Most people pick McCabe and Mrs Miller or Nashville, which are both amazing but...</p>

Comment

• mass
                                • Sep 2006

i'd probably go with 3 women.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎