Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="gutpocho"]

Kitano and Kieslowski are also personal favourites, the Three Colors Trilogy is great but some of their early movieslike Blind Chance (which inspired movies likeTykwer&#39;s Run Lola Run) are worth seeing too.</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

Did you see his most recent movie, what did you think of it? (I last saw him in Blood and bones but he was only starring in the film)</p>
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user=&quot;gutpocho&quot;]

Glad to see Atom Egoyan in the list, movies like Exotica or Sweet Hereafter are among my favourites, he can portrait really quirky or disfuctional characters (more humanly and emotional) in a better way than any director of his genetation, way less hype than Jarmusch or Tarantino but more rewarding and provocative.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Egoyan is an amazing director but comparing him to Tarantino or Jarmusch is unfair to everyone involved as his brand of filmaking is way different than the other two. He&#39;s more interested in seeing what lies beneath everyone&#39;s facade than anything else I&#39;d say.</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]suprised there is no tarkovsky... good call on the fruit chan picture.[/quote]</p>

</p>

I&#39;ve never seen any Tarkovsky...don&#39;t know why actually as some of his movies come highly recommended. As for Fruit Chan I think he&#39;s really interesting and HK independant filmakers are a rarity. Have you seen more of his movies? I also like Durian Durian and Little Cheung.</p>

Comment

• Jorge Hache
          • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;Fuuma&quot;][quote user=&quot;gutpocho&quot;]

Kitano and Kieslowski are also personal favourites, the Three Colors Trilogy is great but some of their early movieslike Blind Chance (which inspired movies likeTykwer&#39;s Run Lola Run) are worth seeing too.</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

Did you see his most recent movie, what did you think of it? (I last saw him in Blood and bones but he was only starring in the film)</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

No i didn&#39;t see it, the last Kitano movies i saw were Zatoichi and Dolls (both great movies, especially Dolls)</p>

I agree with your Egoyan comment, may be i didn&#39;t explain mysef very good, more than compare him with other (and hype directors like Jarmusch or Tarantino) in their cinematic skills, i try to say that what makes him more interesting (and appealing for my taste) is how he concentrate more in characters and the development of emotions, wich is no common ground on today cinema.</p>

Comment

• Jorge Hache
            • Sep 2006

I like the inclusion of Haneke in your list, i think is a brave director with much to say (watch funny games or cache as an example)</p>

I hope to see some Von Trier movies or may be a Dogme one in your 2000 list, i agree with the movies you choose (well i didn&#39;t saw the Audiard one) - i have coincidentally all of them in my dvd collection (wich is not very big - less than 100 movies - but i&#39;m proud of it) - </p>

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

Oh wow Fuuma, what magnificent lists! I am frantically updating my netflix queue right now. Thanks so much for doing that.
              </p>

Two movies for me in the past week:
              </p>

Tony Takitani-- Jun Ichikawa</p>

Three Times--Hsiao-hsien Hou
              </p>

</p>
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• dontbecruel
                • Sep 2006

Ah, what is three times like? I really meant to see it and missed it while it was on at the cinema here.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;gutpocho&quot;]

I like the inclusion of Haneke in your list, i think is a brave director with much to say (watch funny games or cache as an example)</p>

I hope to see some Von Trier movies or may be a Dogme one in your 2000 list, i agree with the movies you choose (well i didn&#39;t saw the Audiard one) - i have coincidentally all of them in my dvd collection (wich is not very big - less than 100 movies - but i&#39;m proud of it) - </p>

[/quote]</p>

Yeah, Dogville was the best film of 2000&#39;s for me, easily.</p>

Fuuma, thanks a lot - great list. I have a lot to watch (and learn).</p>

As far as Tarkovsky, I recommend The Stalker, and the original Solaris, of course.</p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;dontbecruel&quot;]Ah, what is three times like? I really meant to see it and missed it while it was on at the cinema here.
                    [/quote]</p>

</p>

I really liked it. Pacing-wise, it reminded me a bit of Tsai Ming-Liang, whose films i adore. The stories were a bit hard to follow--they almost felt like impressions of stories, rather than narratives. But the acting and filming was unbelievably precise--it was incredible just to watch to actors move, especially in first two stories. It was all very tender--I can&#39;t think of another word to describe it. I definitely recommend--let me know what you think, if you see it! ( the role of clothes in the movie is very interesting as well)
                    </p>
                    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

I added Solaris and Stalker to my ziplist (samething as netflix). For some reason I kinda forgot about Tarkovsky and never checked him out, good call.</p>

As for the Taiwanese filmakers I found their films intriguing by never really &quot;got them&quot;. They make me feel like an outsider, watching something that all locals understand easily but that will always remain alien to me.</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;laika&quot;]

Oh wow Fuuma, what magnificent lists! I am frantically updating my netflix queue right now. Thanks so much for doing that.
                        </p>

Two movies for me in the past week:
                        </p>

Tony Takitani-- Jun Ichikawa</p>

Three Times--Hsiao-hsien Hou
                        </p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Thanks, that&#39;s just what I like though so it&#39;s more expressive than prescriptive. BTW I&#39;m supposed to watch Tony Takitani in the next few days, have it at home right now, what did you think of it?</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

BTW I recently got a craving to watch some anime series, including oneI had seen the fan-subbed first episodes on a vhs tape a while ago (1999 to be exact, I&#39;ve been serious about various genre of this moviemaking thing for a while now...). Took me hours to find the name of the series in japanese, then find out there was an american release only to discover it was stopped after the first three volumes out of six because the company went under or didn&#39;t make a profit or something along those lines. I guess I&#39;ll settle for some avi subbed torrents. Anybody is knowledgeable where I could find plenty of free anime on the net? If that helps the name of the series was: Tenshi Ni Narumon/I&#39;m gonna be an angel. It&#39;s not recent and wasn&#39;t very well known at the time so just checking regular download sites might not help much. I think a dream kickstarted the whole thing, its kinda vague in my head why. Nevertheless I won&#39;t stop until I&#39;ve got all the episodes. OH and since I don&#39;t watch that much anime, anything interesting came out recently?

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

Oh no, I didn&#39;t see it as prescriptive--you just named a lot of movies i like, so I took the others up as suggestions.</p>

About Tony Takitani: I liked the film, but the story (which is Murakami&#39;s) disappointed me. The idea sounded so good, and I felt like it was a rather obvious way to carry it out. Then again, there is something to be said for the simplicity of being obvious, in this case. Definitely worth a watch--it&#39;s so short, just and hour and and a quarter. Let me know what you think of it.
                            </p>

Comment

• mass
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]suprised there is no tarkovsky... good call on the fruit chan picture.[/quote]</p>

</p>

I&#39;ve never seen any Tarkovsky...don&#39;t know why actually as some of his movies come highly recommended. As for Fruit Chan I think he&#39;s really interesting and HK independant filmakers are a rarity. Have you seen more of his movies? I also like Durian Durian and Little Cheung.</p>[/quote]

i've seen the 3 you've mentioned as well as 2 others... 'hollywood hong kong' and 'the longest summer'. i can recommend both... but the acting in the longest summer is especially poor (hk neorealism? in little cheung for example i think the amateur actors did a great job, this one... not so much).

for tarkovsky i would recommend all his films, but my favorites are (in order) andrei rublev, nostalghia and of course zerkalo/the mirror. they're all amazing. i actually favour nostalghia over andrei rublev for personal reasons, but whatever.

Comment

• Colette
                                • Oct 2006

[quote user=&quot;Faust&quot;]

I must see Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.</p>

[/quote]</p>

i&#39;ve got that on DVD. one of my favorites... i think conrad veidt&#39;s character cesare has inspired the gothic set when it comes to fashion... ;)</p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎