Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • droogist
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Fuuma, that's a very solid lineup of directors. But no Kenji Mizoguchi or Carl Dreyer...?

</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user=&quot;Colette&quot;][quote user=&quot;Faust&quot;]

I must see Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.</p>

[/quote]</p>

i&#39;ve got that on DVD. one of my favorites... i think conrad veidt&#39;s character cesare has inspired the gothic set when it comes to fashion... ;)</p>

[/quote]</p>

I do agree that those german expressionism films must have been a major inspiration for 80s gothic rockers.</p>
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;droogist&quot;]

Fuuma, that&#39;s a very solid lineup of directors. But no Kenji Mizoguchi or Carl Dreyer...?

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Lists are all about sins of omission aren&#39;t they?</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;][quote user=&quot;Fuuma&quot;]

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]suprised there is no tarkovsky... good call on the fruit chan picture.[/quote]</p>

</p>

I&#39;ve never seen any Tarkovsky...don&#39;t know why actually as some of his movies come highly recommended. As for Fruit Chan I think he&#39;s really interesting and HK independant filmakers are a rarity. Have you seen more of his movies? I also like Durian Durian and Little Cheung.</p>

[/quote] i&#39;ve seen the 3 you&#39;ve mentioned as well as 2 others... &#39;hollywood hong kong&#39; and &#39;the longest summer&#39;. i can recommend both... but the acting in the longest summer is especially poor (hk neorealism? in little cheung for example i think the amateur actors did a great job, this one... not so much).

for tarkovsky i would recommend all his films, but my favorites are (in order) andrei rublev, nostalghia and of course zerkalo/the mirror. they&#39;re all amazing. i actually favour nostalghia over andrei rublev for personal reasons, but whatever.[/quote]</p>

Longest summer is the one with the soldiers?</p>

BTW I recently watched the adjuster, I know there&#39;s a few Egoyan fans here so anybody seen it? What did the bow and arrow thing mean to you, aside from being totaly unexpected and later somewhat explained by the house location? It feels very primal when the character does it, which could make it thedestructive pendant of the enormous and somewhat twistedempathy he displays for his &quot;clients&quot;.</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Some of my recent viewings:</p>

Ranma 1/2 OAV: the one to carry on part 1/2</p>

Ranma 1/2 OAV: re-awakening memories part 1/2</p>

Election\HK\To\2005</p>

Tenshi Ni Narumon TV series 1-8\Japan\Hiroki\1999 (found it, though those are ripped from vhs so the quality is not very high, even for avis)</p>

Murder my sweet\USA\Dmytryk\1944</p>

The adjuster\Can\Egoyan\1991</p>

The man who shot liberty Valance\USA\Ford\1962</p>

The Asphalt jungle\USA\Huston\1950</p>

Future viewings:</p>

Tony Takitani</p>

Tenshi Ni Narumon 9-26</p>

Bloody ties (hard-boiled Korean movie released in 2006)</p>

The big heat</p>

Ranma 1/2OAV DVD 1</p>

</p>

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

To mix up the high brow tone here that might scare some people off - I watched The Station Agent the other day [:D]. It was a pretty good movie. It was no piece of art, but I liked its humility and compassion. I like Bobby Cannavale. I&#39;ve seen him in theater, he could play better than most of those hollywood bozos. Too bad he&#39;s been mostly on TV, as IMDB told me.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

I remember the station agent being well received by critics. I was involved with movie boards at the time and posters were pretty divided on the film but I never ended up checking it out...

Comment

• Micht
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;Faust&quot;]

</p>[/quote]

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;Micht&quot;][quote user=&quot;Faust&quot;]

</p>

[/quote]

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

[/quote]</p>

Holy shit, the whole film? Nice, thank you, and welcome!
                    </p>
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                      • Sep 2006

Yesterday i saw Tsai Ming-liang&#39;s The Wayward Cloud (Tian bian yi duo yun), still trying to figure out if i like it or i hate it (interesting enough to leave me thinking)

Comment

• designersheep
                        • Oct 2006

Hi everyone.

I&#39;m new here, so here is a short intro of myself (do we have a thread for it?)

My name is Jun and I&#39;m from New Zealand.

I am a filmmaker wannabe. I am yet to film anything properly, but I am soooo very much in love with cinema, and I will do something, one day. I would watch crazy amount of films (about one film per day on average) for 5~6 years, up until earlier this year, when the streak had to end due to having nothing more to watch :)

My other interests are painting, photography, literature, lit./art criticism, philosophy, and language. But how odd that I work in an IT job.

I&#39;ve only recently got interested in fashion, and my wardrobe definitely pales in comparison with the regulars here. I hope to learn more from here!

Now, to stay on the topic:

I highly regard most of the films mentioned by Fuuma :) I am amazed you haven&#39;t yet watched a Tarkovsky.

To anyone who is new to Tarkovsky, I would definitely recommend watching his films in chronological order, because his films became more difficult as his career progressed. Perhaps difficult may not be the best word, but his narrative techniques increasingly became more abstract and elusive, and his pacing became slower.

Now here is a short intro and recommendation of my favorite filmmaker.

Robert Bresson (France)
                        - Au hasard Balthazar
                        - Diary of a country priest

Robert Bresson is a very peculiar film director. He saw that cinema was flooded with entertainment and what he called filmed theatres&#39;. What he really wanted was to establish cinema as an art form unqiue in its own, and something that is not a mixture of other forms of art. Therefore he came up with a very unique way of making films, and that is by using non-professional actors and actresses, rehearsing them over 20 times in order to drain every attempt to &#39;act&#39; so that their acting becomes emotionless and dry, and then filming them with the utmost neutrality. Then in the editing processes he juxtaposes these neutral scenes to create drama and emotion that was not there in the first place. That is what Robert Bresson calls pure cinema, or a miracle.

His particular style of filmmaking is truly unique, and although his films may seem uninteresting to some, his technique of trying to capture the neutrality and what he calls the truth, successfully removes all pretense and allows the viewers to freely engage and put in their own interpretations, meanings, and emotions. Simply by not forcing and remaining mysterious, we are enormously drawn in. Well... at least that is how I feel :)

Here are three more recommendations of my other favorite directors:

Abbas Kiarostami (Iran)
                        - Taste of cherry
                        - Close-up
                        - Kohker trilogy (Where is the friend&#39;s house, And life goes on, Through the olive trees)

Ozu Yasujiro (Japan)
                        - Ukigusa (Floating weeds)
                        - Tokyo monogatari (Tokyo story)
                        - and everything else

Andrei Tarkovsky (Russia)
                        - Andrei Rublev
                        - Offret (The sacrifice)
                        - Nostalghia
                        - Zerkalo (Mirror)

And then there&#39;s Godard, Bergman, Erice, Bunuel, Rohmer, Antonioni, Fellini, Greenaway, Teshigahara, Naruse, Tarr, Dreyer, Makhmalbaf, and so on....

Here are some of the film sites I frequent:

Discover important classic and contemporary cinema from around the world. Browse our continuing series of Blu-ray and DVD editions, featuring award-winning supplemental features.

Comment

• mass
                          • Sep 2006

i really love bresson... i love mouchette, although to be honest it took me a few tries before i could get through all of diary of a country priest in one sitting...

i watched the departed last week... kind of dissapointed because i thought it started off extremely well. nobody agrees with me that harvey keitel would've played the part better than jack nicholson, either. looking forward to borat soon...

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Welcome, designersheep. Thanks for the input on the cinema. As far as wardrobe, I hear it recently got a major boost.</p>

Hmm, we don&#39;t have an introduction thread, I never felt a need for it, we find out about each other little by little, and some people on here know each other already. Should we have such a thread?
                            </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Hi Jun, welcome!. Great to have yet another film lover onboard!</p>

I second the suggestion of Kiarostami, Ozu, Bresson and pretty much everyone else you mentionned. However, in a sense, those are pretty safe choices among the film loving set. They&#39;re great as recommendations and because these directors are genuinely good and involving(you might have noted that the majority of directors you mentionned are also on the list I made even though I only named 100 films) but I believe you understand a lot about a cinephile by hearing about the lesser-known/generally disliked or at least not highly considered movies they love. Or even about the masters/classics they dislike (I should post about why, while I rank most of Bresson&#39;s movies I&#39;ve seen from good to incredible, I&#39;m nottoo found of Au hazard Balthazar and it&#39;s christ-like donkey). You might have seen, for exemple, that I genuinely enjoyed the Belmondo vehicule &quot;Le magnifique&quot; (and countless others Belmondo moviesfor that matter) or British crime movie &quot;Get carter&quot;. Those are personal choices that I&#39;m not sure many cinephile share or recognize as favorites. So I&#39;m wondering what are your own cinematic &quot;quirks&quot;.</p>

Comment

• xcoldricex
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;gutpocho&quot;]Yesterday i saw Tsai Ming-liang&#39;s The Wayward Cloud (Tian bian yi duo yun), still trying to figure out if i like it or i hate it (interesting enough to leave me thinking)[/quote]</p>

ah tsai ming-liang... you need a whole lot of patience to watch his movies. I don&#39;t recall if I&#39;ve seen that particular one...
                                </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎