Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="xcoldricex"]

anyone a fan of shunji iwai?</p>

[/quote]</p>

I kinda like him and his over the top emotionality. I&#39;ve seen:</p>

Love letter</p>

Swallow tail &amp; butterfly</p>

April story</p>

All about Lily Chou-Chou</p>

Hana and Alice</p>

Oh and I&#39;ll post some comments on Irreversible and an update on some recent films i&#39;ve watched soon.</p>
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user=&quot;Faust&quot;]

[quote user=&quot;Servo2000&quot;]I noticed that on your list of films and was tempted to say just that, but frankly, it seems like a lot of people had just the opposite opinion, so I left you to it.[/quote]</p>

I would love to hear what their opinion is in detail.</p>[/quote]<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>As would I, Faust, as would I.</div>
      WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">My recent viewings (+-50 films in October-November) can, for the most part, be grouped in two rough categories: </font></font></span></p><ul style="margin-top: 0cm" type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Recent Asian (HK, Korea, Japan) blockbusters/commercial releases</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Classic American film noirs (mainly 40s-60s with some modern movies thrown in)</font></font></span>[/list]<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">I&rsquo;ll post some short comments on movies that warrant them. These are not reviews, if you want to read that just go to imdb.com, lovehkfilms.com, allmovie.com or rottentomatoes.com</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Takeshis/Kitano/2005</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">I finally saw Kitano&rsquo;s latest release and must say I was sorely disappointed. This is probably his weakest release to date (I&rsquo;ve seen everything he&rsquo;s done at least once except getting any). Here&rsquo;s why:</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><ul style="margin-top: 0cm" type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">It doesn&rsquo;t stand on it&rsquo;s own as it&rsquo;s too self-referential: While I&rsquo;m big on auteur theory and believe cinema is infinitely more rewarding when you follow particular creators who&rsquo;s work you respect, connect with and find thematic bridges from one movie to the next this one is simply unintelligible to someone who is not familiar with Kitano&rsquo;s canon. Thematic connection and recurring obsessions (i.e. the beach in Kitano&rsquo;s movies) is one thing but self-referential laziness is something else entirely</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">It&rsquo;s self-indulgent and an exercise in ego stroking: Kitano&rsquo;s movies are almost always about the giant presence of Kitano the movie persona, his almost autistic attitude and suppressed violence. Takeshis goes one step further and refers to Kitano the entertainer and real-life person. Instead of being an embodiment of hidden urges and social malaise, placing a mirror in front of the audience and making them take a long hard look at themselves he preens in front of the aforementioned mirror, like Tom Cruise on any of his mediocre screen appearances.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">His treatment of violence is not consistent with his usual approach: Aside from Zatoichi which was a brilliant homage to traditional chambara series, violence and especially gunfights in Kitano movies is static, sad and rather anaesthetic. He really has the ability to take all the excitement and the &ldquo;action&rdquo; aspect out of the equation, letting you see what is really going on: pointless, nonsensical death and killing. This goes out of the window in Takeshis with a beautiful beach scene gun fight. It&rsquo;s not interesting action, it&rsquo;s barely comedy and you&rsquo;re left with an empty scene with no apparent meaning.</font></font></span><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">The dreamlike logic of the movie could be interesting as it allows Kitano to present individual vignettes that really show the strength of his background as a stand up comic. Sadly since these scenes are basically showcases for a particular performer and barely sustain or advance the plot; they don&rsquo;t gel with the overall story or lack of thereof.</font></font></span>[/list]<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">In other word watch it if you&rsquo;re big on Kitano and are interested in seeing all his movies otherwise stay away as it&rsquo;s simply not very good.</font></font></span></p>

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">[quote user=&quot;Faust&quot;]I watched Irreversible yesterday. What a gruesome film. I have to say, sometimes I wonder about whether films like these should exist (same goes for something like Requiem for a Dream). The balance of sheer portrayal of violence by far outweighed the social and psychological points the film addressed (revenge, fate, etc.). The camera work was pretty amazing though - a bit too much at times, but mostly well done and innovative.
          </span><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">[/quote]</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Requiem for a dream was bad, really bad. &ldquo;Look I&rsquo;m an artist and I&rsquo;m tackling difficult subjects in a super-duper camera god way!!! See those are junkies and there&rsquo;s prostitution too, I&rsquo;m so edgy!! &ldquo;</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">I&rsquo;m more ambivalent on irreversible and No&eacute; in general. He&rsquo;s really out to shock us, that&rsquo;s for sure but I feel he has something to say and doesn&rsquo;t go for conventional &ldquo;shock power&rdquo; subjects like young, languid junkies with cool trashed clothes. I admire how he took out all the possible eroticism out of the rape scene to make it almost unwatchable. His first movie &ldquo;Alone against all&rdquo; (is that the english title?) really let you access the protagonist thoughts without any censoring and I think that was quite a bravura performance. By the way Noe&rsquo;s girlfriend (Lucile Hadzihalilovic) made quite an interesting film about Innocence (that&rsquo;s also the title). It&rsquo;s amazing how American viewers will often perceive certain scenes of the movie where young girls are playing in a pond, half-naked (we&rsquo;re talking about young children, not adolescents) as paedophilic in nature while European audiences are like &ldquo;what? Those are little girls; they&rsquo;re playing, nothing special&hellip;&rdquo;.</span><span lang="EN-CA"></span></p>

</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]yeah... i dunno. actually i just read the other day that de niro was signed on to be in it, but i don&#39;t know for what part. i&#39;m thinking martin sheen&#39;s role? anyway i am looking forward to the good shepard...

so the past week...

watched borat, enjoyed it very much.

watched exiled, i enjoyed this immensley as well. lots of powdered blood (the best kind). pacing was kind of iffy though.

watched my unsubbed copy le deuxieme souffle. i have a subtitled vhs copy somewhere but i don&#39;t think my vcr likes it. i was in montreal last week and i&#39;m preetttyyyy sure i saw a poster for this, but i was half awake so i could&#39;ve dreamt it. anyways it turns out they are remaking this with daniel auteuil as gu. i don&#39;t like the sound of that. monica bellucci is in it also. ALSO, eric cantona is in it, for the football fans. hate man utd. but cantona may be my favorite football player ever.

watched bring me the head of alfredo garcia, which i have always really really loved.

watched you, me and dupree. it was on tv

caught the first 5 minutes of the devil wears prada. heh.[/quote]</p>

<span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">I also liked Borat, not an exceptional movie in any way but delivers the laughs. I&rsquo;m really looking forward to Exiled, can you please clarify the link to the mission though; it&rsquo;s supposedly not a sequel but sort of a spin-off/alternate universe thing.</span></p>

<span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">I have the Ren&eacute; Ch&acirc;teau release of &ldquo;Le deuxi&egrave;me souffle&rdquo; I&rsquo;ll check if there&rsquo;s english subtitles (some of their releases do, for some reason) if you&rsquo;d like a copy. You would need a player that converts PAL though&hellip;Auteuil as Gu, Belluci as Manouche? Seems like miscasting in action. It&rsquo;s pretty cool that they&rsquo;ve got Dutronc onboard though. The movie is so steeped in pre-war mythic gangster honour and post-war changes that it would probably loose a lot of meaning if it was set today. It seems Alain Corneau is directing so I&rsquo;ll probably check it out anyway.</span></p>

</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="DE"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Puzzle/Kim Tae-Kyeong/Korea/2006</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="DE"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">A heist mystery strongly inspired by the usual suspects (mysterious X behind a convoluted plot that is only revealed gradually, mostly through flashbacks) and reservoir dogs (heist went wrong and black Armani clad characters are stuck in an abandoned warehouse trying to understand what happened and who double-crossed them). It is quite derivative and the ending leaves something to be desired but this is nonetheless an engrossing watch. I tend to favour crime movies as they rely on plot and characterization to drive the story and this one is no exception. Definitely a recommended watch as it&rsquo;s a good example of quality Korean popular cinema.</font></font></span></p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Hoop dreams/USA/James/1994</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Fascinating documentary where we follow through three years of high school two young black boys from Chicago&rsquo;s poorer neighbourhood who get to attend a private high school famous for it&rsquo;s basketball team, seen as a gateway to famous colleges and eventually the NBA. This isn&rsquo;t about sports though (would be a yawn fest) but their trials and tribulations and the enormous pressure to perform that is trust upon them at such a young age.</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">D.O.A./USA/Mat&eacute;/1950</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">A man stumbles into a police station to report a murder; his own. If that&rsquo;s not enough to pique your interest then I wonder what would work. Don&rsquo;t read additional reviews, this one is enough and leaves you in the dark on crucial plot points.</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">A bittersweet life/Korea/Kim Ji-Woon/2005</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Desensitised, efficient up and coming mob enforcer/club manager finds redemption in the love he has for a woman. He will eventually have to choose between her and his mob bosses-How original!! Kim Ji-Woon is a talented director and this tried and true formula, while lacking in originality, is an interesting vehicle for his stylistic flourishes and skewed vision. The finale is especially enlightening, illuminating the main protagonist in a new light. It is also worth noting how pig-headed and uncompromising most of the characters are, stupidly letting minor situations snowball until they gather enough momentum to become extremely destructive.</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Laura/USA/Preminger/1944</font></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt; text-align: justify"><span lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">NYC socialite Laura is murdered at her posh Manhattan apartment, typical hard-boiled cop handles the investigation but who&rsquo;s responsible for the murder and more importantly is the cop falling for the dead girl? Supporting roles are great with a young Vincent Price playing a kind of high society playboy/gigolo and Clifton Webb in a memorable turn as bitchy dandy star journalist Waldo Lydecker.</font></font></span></p>

Comment

• mass
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

<span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">I also liked Borat, not an exceptional movie in any way but delivers the laughs. I&rsquo;m really looking forward to Exiled, can you please clarify the link to the mission though; it&rsquo;s supposedly not a sequel but sort of a spin-off/alternate universe thing.</span></p>

<span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">I have the Ren&eacute; Ch&acirc;teau release of &ldquo;Le deuxi&egrave;me souffle&rdquo; I&rsquo;ll check if there&rsquo;s english subtitles (some of their releases do, for some reason) if you&rsquo;d like a copy. You would need a player that converts PAL though&hellip;Auteuil as Gu, Belluci as Manouche? Seems like miscasting in action. It&rsquo;s pretty cool that they&rsquo;ve got Dutronc onboard though. The movie is so steeped in pre-war mythic gangster honour and post-war changes that it would probably loose a lot of meaning if it was set today. It seems Alain Corneau is directing so I&rsquo;ll probably check it out anyway.</span></p>

</p>[/quote]

i have the film prestige version, which also defaults to a russian audio track!

the basic premise to exiled is nick cheung is playing jackie liu's character from the mission (they've all got new names anyway). he's in macau with a wife and kid and simon yam has sent anthony wong (& lam suet) to kill him (although not for the same reason as in the mission). i suppose francis ng and roy cheung are there to stop him although all 5 of them are really just there to kick it. you can view it in the same way as tarantino's films, even though this takes place in a different time continuum. anything related to the mission is just a very small part of the film, although it's a set up for the rest of it.

by the way roy cheung is one of 'those' (ie delon, belmondo, etc) actors where i try and watch all his films. unfortunately he has much much more bad ones than the european equivalents; can't blame him though it is hong kong. i think tadanobu asano too. i just remembered i really need to check out that 'follow up' to last life in the universe.

hoop dreams is great. possibly one of my favorite nonanimalrelated documentaries of all time (it obviously loses out to style wars).

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;][quote user=&quot;Fuuma&quot;]

</p>

[/quote] i have the film prestige version, which also defaults to a russian audio track!

the basic premise to exiled is nick cheung is playing jackie liu&#39;s character from the mission (they&#39;ve all got new names anyway). he&#39;s in macau with a wife and kid and simon yam has sent anthony wong (&amp; lam suet) to kill him (although not for the same reason as in the mission). i suppose francis ng and roy cheung are there to stop him although all 5 of them are really just there to kick it. you can view it in the same way as tarantino&#39;s films, even though this takes place in a different time continuum. anything related to the mission is just a very small part of the film, although it&#39;s a set up for the rest of it.

by the way roy cheung is one of &#39;those&#39; (ie delon, belmondo, etc) actors where i try and watch all his films. unfortunately he has much much more bad ones than the european equivalents; can&#39;t blame him though it is hong kong. i think tadanobu asano too. i just remembered i really need to check out that &#39;follow up&#39; to last life in the universe.

hoop dreams is great. possibly one of my favorite nonanimalrelated documentaries of all time (it obviously loses out to style wars).[/quote]</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Is film prestige a company like Russico? Mine is the French R2/PAL version which is pretty no frill but of quite good quality.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Exiled: I see, now I&rsquo;m really interested. I recently saw breaking news for a second time and finally watched Election 2. I&rsquo;m on a To roll, so to speak.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Roy Cheung is quite underrated, people seem to disregard the fact that while he always plays in the same type of movies, the characters he portrays covers the whole gamut of human sensibilities. I must say the first time I saw him with his bleached air and aging pop star looks I wasn&rsquo;t expecting anything out of him either. The guy isn&rsquo;t all fluff like Koo, Cheng, Kwok, etc&hellip;</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Asano is good too, did you see him perform in the Doyle movie (Away with words)? That was impressive. I also liked him in &ldquo;taste of tea&rdquo; and a bunch of others. Sadly he shares the Japanese mainstream filmmakers&rsquo; interest in quirk for quirk, which can be extremely annoying at times.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">Hoop dreams: This was my first viewing so I was impressed. Another documentary I fully stand behind would be &ldquo;Scratch&rdquo;. I&rsquo;ve never seen Style wars, I&rsquo;ll check it out.</span></p>

</p>

Comment

• mass
                      • Sep 2006

does russico only release russian films? i think film prestige is just a general dvd studio. as far as i know they've done (probably barebones) releases of everything from breakfast at tiffany's to alphaville to fearless vampire killers. they have a melville box collection... among others ie fellini, clouzot, visconti, etc. now that i think about it i have no idea why i bought this one over the rene chateau release.

agree on all points about cheung and asano. i think louis koo does have acting talent, but he is just too famous/much of a celebrity now to be a good actor. i liked him in bullets over summer. by cheng you mean ekin? imo that guy doesn't have anything going for him, but who doesn't love the y&d series?

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;mass&quot;]does russico only release russian films? i think film prestige is just a general dvd studio. as far as i know they&#39;ve done (probably barebones) releases of everything from breakfast at tiffany&#39;s to alphaville to fearless vampire killers. they have a melville box collection... among others ie fellini, clouzot, visconti, etc. now that i think about it i have no idea why i bought this one over the rene chateau release.

agree on all points about cheung and asano. i think louis koo does have acting talent, but he is just too famous/much of a celebrity now to be a good actor. i liked him in bullets over summer. by cheng you mean ekin? imo that guy doesn&#39;t have anything going for him, but who doesn&#39;t love the y&amp;d series?[/quote]</p>

From what I remember russico releases all kind of films. At what time the ren&eacute;-ch&acirc;teau release what out of print but I think they had another run. Got mine in a used dvd store (prices are good in France as the market is quite big) along with the stellar TF1/Ocean In the mood for love release.</p>

I think I saw Bullets over summer but not sure I&#39;m not mistaking it for another of those cop dramas that might have had Anthony Wong instead of Francis Ng in the more experienced cop role. Yeah Y&amp;D rocks but Ekin is so bland I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll agree you watch it for the secondary characters. BTW what&#39;s the title of the last life in the universe follow-up?</p>

I watched Mob sister yesterday and must say that this triad fairytale was a weak directorial attempt a showing up his camera/editing skills and eliptic and symbolic storytelling talents. Lots of good actors but they certainly didn&#39;t impress me in this...I liked the animated parts though, especially the opening.
                        </p>

Comment

• mass
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]BTW what&#39;s the title of the last life in the universe follow-up?</p>

I watched Mob sister yesterday and must say that this triad fairytale was a weak directorial attempt a showing up his camera/editing skills and eliptic and symbolic storytelling talents. Lots of good actors but they certainly didn&#39;t impress me in this...I liked the animated parts though, especially the opening.
                          </p>[/quote]

invisible waves

Comment

• nairb49
                            • Dec 2006

great, really interesting stuff guys. Fuuma, I have added those films to my soon-to-be-seen list!</p>

Last film I saw was Little Miss Sunshine, it was humorous, but thats about it to me. Not bad overall though.</p>

Comment

• minomni
                              • Oct 2006

[quote user=&quot;Fuuma&quot;]

<span lang="EN-CA" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial">I also liked Borat, not an exceptional movie in any way but delivers the laughs.</span>
                              </p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

i found borat to be utterly disappointing. whatever attempts at satirizing the american psyche fell by the wayside to the overwhelming stupidity that delivered very few laughs for me. consequently, everyone i&#39;ve spoken with regarding the film has ultimately accused me of being completely joyless. [^o)]
                              </p>

saw babel today. it&#39;s a movie filled with moving scenes. however, like others - i&#39;m not entirely convinced by the way the separate stories are tied together.</p>

last three movies rented:</p>

twilight samurai [tasogare seibei], yoji yamada</p>

primer, shane carruth
                              </p>

happy together - i haven&#39;t gone through this entire thread, but surely there are some wong kar-wai fans here? [Y]
                              </p>

Comment

• xcoldricex
                                • Sep 2006

+1 wkw fan. i happen to like fallen angels a lot - which isn&#39;t usually picked out as outstanding among his works.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎