• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drizzly
    Banned
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by blackfedora View Post
    Old enough to continue his streak of silly or uninformed comments. At least until he gets booted off the forum again.
    Ok dude why you being a dick about me staying an opinion?

Comment

• drizzly
      Banned
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Really? Have you ever wondered why CCP hasn't made a collection since Deepti left?
      Oh I know all that. Doesn't mean I have to like the collection. And I handled the clothing it's nothin special.

Comment

• drizzly
        Banned
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by braver View Post
        How old are you?

This has to do with age why?

Comment

• Pumpfish
          • Sep 2010

Really? Have you ever wondered why CCP hasn't made a collection since Deepti left?
          I'm with Faust here. Leaving aside the high concepts and art aspects , CCP's appeal is due to the exceptional elegance of the silhouette, both the tailoring blocks and the leathers.

It is pretty clear at this stage that Deepti owns this.

I see CCP now as an open archive - and why shouldn't he exploit such a back catalogue.
          spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by drizzly View Post
            Ok dude why you being a dick about me staying an opinion?
            He's not being a dick. You are easily the worst poster on this board right now. He's just calling you out.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• byhand
              • Dec 2011

I particularly like CCP for the footwear. If Deepti is so integral to all things CCP, where are the Deepti shoes? Did i miss them?

Comment

• blackfedora
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by byhand View Post
                I particularly like CCP for the footwear. If Deepti is so integral to all things CCP, where are the Deepti shoes? Did i miss them?
                I would suppose she is still searching for a good shoemaker. CCP was an amazing shoe designer as Deepti is an excellent pattern maker, but neither is a shoemaker and therein lies the problem, I'll explain.
                The mainstays of CCP footwear are the Tornadoes and the drip sneakers (2009 & 2010 for both). There are others, but those 2 make up the lion's share of the footwear. The drip sneakers are built fairly well from a cobbler's point of view and as long as the the polyurethane drip properly adheres to the uppers of the shoe, it is good for 6+ years with regular maintenance (current age of mine). The tornadoes on the other hand, as pretty as they are, have inherent structural problems. The guy who works on my shoes is a third generation shoemaker/cobbler and knows nothing else but shoes. When he looks at a pair of tornadoes, he likes to exclaimed "this was made by a designer, not a shoemaker!" (also, I don't argue with a man holding a hammer). Aesthetically, I love the various iterations of the tornado, however the inherent structural problems that I have observed in my own and others' pairs were all explained by my shoemaker/cobbler; here is a list of the major things that are missing or just plain wrong, from the point of view of a shoemaker:
                1) No rigid heel cup: wear a pair of tornadoes hard for a year or 2, the heel will begin droop down and this will eventually cause leather damage
                2) Exposed shanks: The shanks are inserted backwards and are half the width of a shank that is meant for men's boots, it's a bigger problem on larger sizes; broken shank is the result
                3) twisty zippers: looks cool, zippers don't like to make that much twisty-twisty
                4) Stacked heel and forefoot do not match: To walk without causing long term foot damage, the heels often have to be shaved down at a moderate angle or a whole pieces of the stacked heel must be removed
                5) Cotton thread for the vamp stitching: tends to rot in a humid climate and need to be resewn.
                All these things can be fixed of course, it's just expensive and sometimes they happen after just a few wears of the boot or must be fixed before the boot is even worn in the case of the heel issue. Also, an inattentive cobbler can easily butcher such repairs. I visit my cobbler monthly to just shoot the shit and inevitably he either tells me a tornado horror story or shows be a pair of messed-up tornadoes. I've seen pairs that had all of the afflictions noted above plus the heel were being held on my a single nail. The leather on the other hand, is almost always intact. This sums up my love-hate relationship with tornadoes and offers potentially a reason why there is no Deepti footwear yet. I still have a pair tornadoes though, but I went through 5 pairs to find one that didn't hurt.

Comment

• bukka
                  • Sep 2011

Sorry dude, but I clearly remember you're the guy who bought stuff from the "good finds" thread just to flip it on the forum. That was a strong dick move and you didn't anything to repair it, dick.
                  Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• sshum88
                    • Dec 2007

I'll add my experiences with my 6+ years owned since new Tornadoes in Kangaroo. They have been worn hard, at least 4-5x per week and in many different weather conditions like monsoon rains and snow. They have held up really well other than repairs to the heels due to me wearing them down unevenly and the the stitching breaking loose on one vamp. There are many that don't think kangaroo is as tough as the bison or horse versions but these have held up really really well. I think it's the luck of the draw sometimes.

Originally posted by blackfedora View Post
                    ...The tornadoes on the other hand, as pretty as they are, have inherent structural problems. The guy who works on my shoes is a third generation shoemaker/cobbler and knows nothing else but shoes. When he looks at a pair of tornadoes, he likes to exclaimed "this was made by a designer, not a shoemaker!"
                    Originally posted by eat me
                    If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by byhand View Post
                      Funny, because I particularly don't care for CCP footwear :-) I'd say it's secondary to the clothes. To each his own, of course.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• blackfedora
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by sshum88 View Post
                        I'll add my experiences with my 6+ years owned since new Tornadoes in Kangaroo. They have been worn hard, at least 4-5x per week and in many different weather conditions like monsoon rains and snow. They have held up really well other than repairs to the heels due to me wearing them down unevenly and the the stitching breaking loose on one vamp. There are many that don't think kangaroo is as tough as the bison or horse versions but these have held up really really well. I think it's the luck of the draw sometimes.
                        Kangaroo leather is tough as nails as evidenced by my drips lasting 6 years (so far...) with quite regular wear. I have seen some drips where the polyurethane was detaching from leather while still in the store and this doesn't bode well for a long lifespan. Mine are still well fastened after wearing them in the snow/sleet/salt of Toronto, not many monsoons though. Another plus for the Kangaroo is, that like horse, that leather has some inherent resistance to the salt that is so heavily used on Canadian city streets during the winter. Cow and Bison can get completely destroyed by the salt that is used, which renders them only usable for 2/3 of the year where I live.

But as you said, there is some luck of the draw. Maybe I have been unlucky with tornadoes, but the sheer number of snapped shanks I have has as well as all the ones I see in the cobbler's shop is pretty astounding. However, it is usually on larger sized tornadoes, probably because the same size shank is used on all the sizes that Carol produces and there is going to be greater forces exerted on the shank on longer boots (I usually have size 9 or 10 tornadoes, not sure of your size). Perhaps the discomfort that I have felt in many pairs was also a consequence of having delicate feet and destroyed knees, which exacerbate any footwear imperfections to a greater extent.

Comment

• goldsamxo
                          • Jan 2017

Funny, because I particularly don't care for CCP footwear :-) I'd say it's secondary to the clothes. To each his own, of course.
                          I find it funny how most people my age(19) don't even realize CCP makes clothing. Most of the people in my school who ~know~ about him, seem to only know his 'funny' sneakers & not anything of his catalogue. I feel his sneakers (especially in this day/age of Instagram / Tumblr) are most noticeable. Though, his clothing is the reason I decided to get into fashion-design.
                          Originally Posted by Latoya Sizemore View Post

It would be great if one cane wear little bit loose T-shirts with some great prints like marijuana leaves, cannabis, weeds etc.
                          Most of the youngsters will like to wear fashionable and chill clothing, which give a great looks to youngsters.

Comment

• k3mist
                            • Apr 2013

how is that funny? I wouldnt expect many 19 year olds to even know who ccp is tbh.

anyway, this is quite interesting isn't it. Carol, Sergio & the studio are in a pretty unique position (has there ever been another studio in such a position?). Regardless of how important Deepti Barth might have been, I'm sure the studio is more than capable of building another collection but the fact is they just don't need to do they?

They are consistently getting orders for regular stuff and some on the side for odd colors/special requests. Has Carol lost the passion to create? Maybe but they are not getting strapped for cash any time soon thats for sure.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by k3mist View Post
                              how is that funny? I wouldnt expect many 19 year olds to even know who ccp is tbh.

anyway, this is quite interesting isn't it. Carol, Sergio & the studio are in a pretty unique position (has there ever been another studio in such a position?). Regardless of how important Deepti Barth might have been, I'm sure the studio is more than capable of building another collection but the fact is they just don't need to do they?

They are consistently getting orders for regular stuff and some on the side for odd colors/special requests. Has Carol lost the passion to create? Maybe but they are not getting strapped for cash any time soon thats for sure.
                              Hmm, I doubt it's exactly cheap to produce tiny batches of this kind of products. Of course, the high prices make up for that, but still, they have employees, workshops, offices etc that cost money. Then again, I think someone said he had a wealthy background which might allow it, but I still doubt making reruns of piss colored sneakers is making anyone millions. or I could be wrong, just pondering.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• timm3h
                                • Mar 2011

That's an interesting thought. Right now they're basically in maintenance mode, right? So I'd assume r&d costs are close to nil compared to what they were. I don't know the details of ccps closeness with its suppliers, but if they optimized to produce only a small subset of goods I'd imagine production costs would actually drop. I'm sure they're gotten better at making drops after doing it a million times...
                                Clothing deconstruction & review

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎