X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kunk75
    Banned
    • May 2008

i hardly think poell sucks, i just think if anyone else but poell created that it would be a wtf award winner. go have some pumpkin pie and chill out, I am hardly the worst offender in this thread. it seems ludicrous to think anyone is beyond reproach.

Comment

• trentk
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      We need something called Object Oriented Ontology to tell us this amazing fact? Well, Jesus Fucking Christ, I say.
      Well, yes. Do you think we can intuitively grasp "objective beauty" and don't need rigorous proof of it? Are you railing against highly professionalized, jargon heavy discourses that produce boring results?

If its the latter, I don't think this applies to OOO.
      1. Graham Harman (the creator of OOO) toasted to Alan Sokal when he heard about the hoax. This hardly sounds like the behavior of someone who writes "postmodern nonsense".
      2. A 21st century version of islamic occasionalism where even the simplest objects end up resembling some monstrosity out of a lovecraft tale doesn't strike me as stale.
      "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• gavagai
        • May 2010

The jacket is ridiculous. For the select few that enjoy it is of course interesting and different.

I wouldn't try to guess CCP's intentions other than to experiment. Some experiments work and some don't. I actually like the look on Mr. Moustache but overall I think it just looks bizarre. A nice set piece and maybe something for someone who collects or drops crazy cash on a large number of coats that get minimal wear.

I just don;'t find it at all flattering to the human form. If this was a villain in a dark movie it would probably hit the mark...

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by trentk View Post
          Well, yes. Do you think we can intuitively grasp "objective beauty" and don't need rigorous proof of it? Are you railing against highly professionalized, jargon heavy discourses that produce boring results?

If its the latter, I don't think this applies to OOO.
          1. Graham Harman (the creator of OOO) toasted to Alan Sokal when he heard about the hoax. This hardly sounds like the behavior of someone who writes "postmodern nonsense".
          2. A 21st century version of islamic occasionalism where even the simplest objects end up resembling some monstrosity out of a lovecraft tale doesn't strike me as stale.
          Read this instead.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

I like the jacket for its absurdity and the fact that it creates an interesting polarizing discussion
            fashion needs that, and I hate the idea that clothing is only supposed to be worn...............sometimes it takes creating items like these to bring the designer to a point of translating the idea into something more "wearable"

I trust Cambells judgment, and he says it will become an iconic peice...........lets see if he becomes a great sage or a false prophet
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• tron
              • Dec 2010

my co-worker re: that photo "is that steve jobs?!"
              "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by tron View Post
                my co-worker re: that photo "is that steve jobs?!"

I thought for a minute that it was a built-in book prop/cozy. If you're not going to be able to see over your collar, at least make it functional.

Anyway, I'm not the biggest CCP fan *ducks*, but I like the fact that he's changing the human silhouette.
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
                  • Aug 2009

carol

i think my liking in carol's work might be the durability and simplicity of some of his products and due to the quite limited range of his collections and the amount of carry-over's i tend to think him more as a product designer than anything else.
                  sure there's a lot more behind the products as well, but in a certain way he seems to more product-orientated than anybody else who's doing head to toe. when speaking designers with such limited collections.

paris winter did not ruin my unvibramed tornado's completely, so thank you ccp.
                  modern man

Comment

• rarefried
                    • Oct 2011

Whats dumb may no longer be dumb. Object Oriented Ontology raises the possibility that there could be something like real beauty (beauty that resides in the object) as opposed to purely subjective beauty.
                    trentk: "Do you think we can intuitively grasp "objective beauty" and don't need rigorous proof of it? "

trentk I don't think Harman conflates 'real' and 'objective' vis a vis beauty in the way you're implying he does. The statuses of the beauty of a 'real' object and that of a 'sensual' object (to use Harman's terminology) are equally problematic. At least, none of Harman's speculative investigations would seem to get him any closer to establishing criteria for 'objective beauty' whether it pertains to real or sensual objects. I'd be interested to see line of argument from him or other proponents of OOO which suggest otherwise (maybe in another thread).

Comment

• rarefried
                      • Oct 2011

trentk I retract part of what I say above. Took a look at the article you link to. Seems as though Harman is indeed proposing something like a conception of 'objective beauty.' Preliminary and sloppy elaboration of it though in that final paragraph.

Interesting discussion but seems better suited for 'philosophical stuff' thread.

Comment

• trentk
                        • Oct 2010

rarefried (like rarefied, but cooked?): You're right. Harman doesn't yet have a fully developed theory of beauty. Currently, he identifies it as a subset of allure*, but doesn't explain how exactly its different from allure.

*"Yet there are numerous cases in which objects are no longer fused together with their qualities—cases in which an object becomes highly unique, elusive, and alluring. Let’s use the term “allure” to describe what happens when an object is split from its qualities and seems to hover outside them, beyond our grasp."
                        "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Chant
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2008

Virtus dormitiva

rarefried (like rarefied, but cooked?): You're right. Harman doesn't yet have a fully developed theory of beauty. Currently, he identifies it as a subset of allure*, but doesn't explain how exactly its different from allure.

*"Yet there are numerous cases in which objects are no longer fused together with their qualities—cases in which an object becomes highly unique, elusive, and alluring. Let’s use the term “allure” to describe what happens when an object is split from its qualities and seems to hover outside them, beyond our grasp."
                          This is a really great explanation.
                          Unfortunately alreday used before...

"Mihi a docto Doctore
                          Domandatur causam et rationem, quare
                          Opium facit dormire?
                          A quoi respondeo,
                          Quia est in eo
                          Virtus dormitiva.
                          Cujus est natura
                          Sensus assoupire."

... to make people laugh.

Comment

• Pumpfish
                            • Sep 2010

Returning to the metre jacket, I like it. It overcomes the challenge of turning a 2D fabric into 3D garment without resorting to the tailor's techniques.

And it succeeds in delivering a desirable, functional garment. I think the fabric rendition is better. Square fabric is "natural". Square leather is a fabrication.

Also, if there is a design weakness, it is that the neck strap might be a bit low.
                            spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• docus
                              • Dec 2010

In the Atelier photo above the jacket looks a bit like a pair of trousers, pulled up over the wearer's nose. Viewed in that way, the wearer becomes a penis, tucked behind the fly. Or, perhaps the wearer is a turd, crawling its way up and out to freedom.

Comment

• Chant
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by docus View Post
                                In the Atelier photo above the jacket looks a bit like a pair of trousers, pulled up over the wearer's nose. Viewed in that way, the wearer becomes a penis, tucked behind the fly. Or, perhaps the wearer is a turd, crawling its way up and out to freedom.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎