• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uparmoured
    • Sep 2007

Re: Carol Christian Poell

OUCH!

I recent took my pair of knee-only jointed pants to get the waist taken out and the length shortened. In the line where the old seam ran there was a row of distinct puncture marks which freaked me out a little as it looked like the tear off portion of a paper form... Unlike normal cotton, the holes do not 'close up'...

I think it come down to the experimental cotton/paper blend which unsurprisingly gives the garment more brittle paperesque attributes... But it's amazingly tactile to the touch...

Best of luck with your repairs...

[quote user="mike lowrey"]

jointed knees only, the crotch is regular. its the normal seam thats under the fly where the fabric is giving away.

I was just thinking that I might drop them a mail, not sure if it'll be of any help but atleast to let them know...

heres a photo if anyones interested. I would mind this a lot less if I hadn't worn them about 5 times [:(]

[/quote]
    FS: M.A+
    FS: SIZE XS ANN DEMEULEMEESTER WAISTCOAT

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

I figured I'd e-mail them just out of curiousity to see if they reply, so I dropped the press adress a mail and got a reply after a couple of days.

the personsaid that they were very sorry this happened,explaining thoroughlythat this is something that has come to their attention recently. the fabric which they developed in Japan ended up being more fragile than expected, its not an issue with the construction but rather the non-woven structure of thefabric, which I agree with because the construction especially around the crotch seems very good and thorough, the frontbeing lined for example.

they were very kind andoffered to repair the pants if I shipped them or took them to The Library. they also offered to replace them with something else which was more than generous in my opinion. I'm not sure what I'll do since I do like the pants a lot and repairing them is something I can easily do, so most likely I'll just keep them and fix them. but I was definately happy with their reply and helpfulness!

[Y]

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• the breaks
        • Sep 2007

I wish every company handled their customers as well...
        Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• mesh
          • Dec 2006

That is spectacular.

Comment

• Johnny
            • Sep 2006

Yes its great service, but not every company charges £500 for a pair of trousers.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

mike, hit'em up for an overlock leather! [86]
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• drexl
                • Sep 2006

"Helo, i'd like the $16,000 woven leather turtelneck plz. Kthxbye."

Comment

• gius
                  • Nov 2007

i'd be interested in what that looks like, uparmoured [72] if it isn't fixed yet
                  sounds interesting...

any reason why he would want to use paper for the joints in the pants? i think someone mentioned it was only in the joints

[quote user="uparmoured"]

OUCH!

I recent took my pair of knee-only jointed pants to get the waist taken out and the length shortened. In the line where the old seam ran there was a row of distinct puncture marks which freaked me out a little as it looked like the tear off portion of a paper form... Unlike normal cotton, the holes do not 'close up'...

I think it come down to the experimental cotton/paper blend which unsurprisingly gives the garment more brittle paperesque attributes... But it's amazingly tactile to the touch...

Best of luck with your repairs...

[/quote]

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

thefabric is 100% cotton but not woven, I believe its somehow "pressed".this creates a paper-like feel to it, the entire pants aremade from it apart fromthe small parts of lining which seem to be regular thin cotton.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• RADO
                      • Nov 2007

Hi Mike,

Let me give you my advice. Take your pants to The Library and get them to ship to CCP and be repaired. The treatment they are giving you is not special but the one you deserve as a customer for a high-price and therefore quality product. They should even offer you a compensation for all the troubles (no wearing your pants, take them back to the store and pick them up again) Believe, it is their responsibility to fit the problem and if you decide to do it by yourself and the result is not good, you have not right to complain.

Good luck withwhateverway youdecide to go.

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

the fabric is still cotton on the crotch knee joint but more rugged apparently than what you've described.

[quote user="mike lowrey"]

thefabric is 100% cotton but not woven, I believe its somehow "pressed".this creates a paper-like feel to it, the entire pants aremade from it apart fromthe small parts of lining which seem to be regular thin cotton.

[/quote]
                        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

[quote user="RADO"] Let me give you my advice. Take your pants to The Library and get them to ship to CCP and be repaired. The treatment they are giving you is not special but the one you deserve as a customer for a high-price and therefore quality product. They should even offer you a compensation for all the troubles (no wearing your pants, take them back to the store and pick them up again) Believe, it is their responsibility to fit the problem and if you decide to do it by yourself and the result is not good, you have not right to complain. [/quote]

I wanted to wear them soI ended up repairing them myself. considering I'm not in London, I would'vehad to ship them anyway. and since I'm going to be away untill early January, I'd havebeen ableship them then, and counting a weeks shipping time back and forth plus repair time, it would be a month and a half before I got them back. and as the person mailing me said, theres no guarantee that this couldn't happen again even if they fixed it.

theyare goodnow, I just reinforced the seam. now that I paid some more attention when wearing them, theres alot of stress on the crotch because of the cut, so no surprise that this can happen with a special fabric like this. I hope it holds up, we'll see.

Casius canreport onhow it worked out when I'll see him, if he talks about mycrotch, it didn't hold.

Comment

• Casius
                            • Dec 2006

hahaha. That wouldn't be good to be walking around and all of the sudden the crotch tears open...lol. Or is that a Poell quirk? :D
                            "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• gius
                              • Nov 2007

ahh so there's no paper after all in that one...

but i looked
                              through this whole thread all last night (crazy!) and i read a lot of
                              posts saying he's used paper-like material for a lot in his work. just
                              wondering the reason

for example, a reversible jacket with one side of paper and one side cotton
                              maybe it's just for fun? or he likes the look of the material
                              it's wrinkly like some of the leathers...

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

The paper cotton is a beautiful fabric concept but the tearing is something that I can see being a pretty big issue. From look and feel it has a textured Tyvek type feel to it (at least the greenish/gray blazer and pants at A) which is reall quite remarkable. The way the material is produced seems to be similar to Tyvek as well (individual fibers pressed together in a non-organized manner). Really great stuff but the long-lasting nature may be something else altogether.

The fishtail coat is shorter than I thought it'd be from photos and is really lovely! So is the back-raglan overcoat. Classic and clean.

I previewed the SS 08 photos as well and here's some further additions to the rundown given by everyone on here:

The key concepts that Carol will be working with this coming spring is perforated leathers (mostly cowhide and kangaroo) and as Joey had mentioned reversable-wear liners and also jackets that can be tucked into a vest. The whole idea isinside-out/outside-in.

The showroom was a warehouse bathroom across the street from Carol's atelier. The belts (perforated leather versions of the double-stacked buckle belts from this season) were draped over each urinal and jackets/coats were hung in the stalls.

By the sink was where pairs of elastic wristed gloves were placed. Colors are white, black, gray and yellow. These are perforated kangaroo leather versions of this season's full-fingered gloves. Very nice.

The boots this coming season are a rework of Carol's hockeyes with an industrial rubber band closing the upper flap instead of a loop-to-eye closure.

The perforated leather concept has been carried over to the footwear with even the soles being perforated. To make sure that your foot itself doesn't actually get wet, the cowhide soles were perforated and then stacked & nailed so that the holes themselves don't line up all the way into the inside of the shoe.

As Joey mentioned on here, single-seam construction shirts and sweatshirts have been created as well (I swear to you, I have detailed sketches of this concept as I was playing around with it more than a year ago!). Very elegant and will look even better in person than in photos I'm certain.

As usual, this isn't even everything that Carol has for the spring... just what was produced in time for showing/ordering!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎