Page 14 of 529 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114514 ... LastLast

Thread: Carol Christian Poell

Default Re: Carol Christian Poell

[quote user="ddohnggo"]yup, you can get VAT back as long as you're a US citizen. You have to keep your receipts, and have them validated at the airport upon your departure back to the US, which you can mail at the airport. it's as simple as that!
    [/quote]

That was a bit misleading, Albert was asking if he needs to actually leave the European Union to have the refund processed, and the answer is Yes. As long as you stay in Berlin you can't have the refund processed. These rules are standard for all EU countries, only the VAT% varies.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

gotcha. I'll keep that in mind then Faust. Thanks a bunch.

As for purchasing it for cheaper outside of London... I haven't yet seen or heard of the London based prices. A friend of mine in London is calling The Library today to ask Philip about their order and the prices. Apparently they've got a strong enough connection with Carol that if need be, they can do a custom order for you with Carol!

I'd love a CCP leather jacket that is winter/cold-suitable. Is this season's overlock leather jacket lighter or thinner than last?

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

this season's overlock is made of calf leather which is lighter and softer than last season's (made of deer leather)- it is also more matte. I assume that it must be thinner as well. I dont know if the fit is the same though.

library will do special orders but with a premium. i asked them they would order a black leather long coat in grey black with overlock stitching and the final price was around 3400 pounds. which is a little less than 6700 usd. i have to admit the price was a little over whelming. i know that ccp items cost alot but a little less than 6700 usd is a LOT of money for a single coat no matter how stunning the leather is. they can do current collections and only a previous past collection to my knowledge. that is what they told me. nothing from 04 a/w or 04 s/s or 05.

has anyone purchased anything in europe while still in the united states.i mean has anybody ordered something from europe and have the item shipped to them in the u.s. will some stores take out the vat even though you are in the united states ordering something internationally where they ship the item to your home in the united states. or do you have to buy something at there store in europe in order to receive a free vat. i would like to buy something in europe but i do not have the time to visit and i would prefer to have the vat taken out.

Thanks K!

So apparently The Library's owner has known Carol for 15+ years so they're able to get anything you want from the current season... who knows, maybe even something from past seasons is possible.

I'll find out via my friend as well as in-person. Berlin to London flights are way cheap. Easy 2 day trip especially since I only want to go to The Pineal Eye and The Library... and have dinner at The Fat Duckto continue my molecular gastronomy/hypermodern cuisine dining journey (so far I've experienced WD-50 and The Minibar.... 4 main ones left to go: El Bulli (of course), The Fat Duck, Moto, and Alinea.... I know there are a couple others out there that I need to try. The Minibar was a lifechanging experience. It was the best meal I've ever had in my life.).

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Believe me when I tell you, skip The Pineal Eye.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Just wanted to share, saw someone in a CCP green leather overlock jacket at Barney's today. And they were looking at the Ann Demeulemeester, was it someone on here? I felt special because I recognized the jacket from all the ravings on this forum.

[quote user="Faust"]Believe me when I tell you, skip The Pineal Eye.
    [/quote]

haha! duly noted. I just wanted to stop by because I've been chatting with someone who has close ties to the store. They used to be top notch right? Just sorta fallen off in the last few years?

There are literally 10 pieces in the store, 5 by Raf and 5 by DH. I don't know how they stay in business. They heyday passed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I remember someone saying that they do a lot of business through special orders. If you haven't been there I would go, but I like to just visit stores just to see them anyway. It's quite small and like Faust said, has an extremely small stock of mostly DH and Raf Simons.

Snapped another image off of the Lift website:

The much-heralded U shaped pants. I took a hard look at the form on the legs and it's fucking sweet. I must have them in black or gray. Tucked into the off white boots is perfect.

Like someone else had said, it's hard to snap a sharp photo from Lift but if you look closely you can see the twisting action around the mid-leg. Beautiful.

Well it looks as though Carol's official website is going to be changing to Spring sometime soon. The front page is different and there isn't anything viewable, yet.

Oh and those U shaped pants are a must have, so beautiful.
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Cass you beat me to it. I just saw Carol's new "coming soon" page. So distinctly Carol no? hehe

Yeah, the more I look at those U shaped pants, the more I know I have to get them. It's a good thing that The Library can do custom orders just in case places sell out of it!

Honestly, i like ccp, have some of his stuff, but they are just narrow fitting trousers....that's all they look like. if you didn't see them lying out in the u-shape you would never know.

why is this mis-shaped trouser a good thing? the fact that he makes such stupid things, like these trousers, and the horse hair ties etc, puts me off his other more normal work.

i kinda agree with johnny. the pants look interesting when unworn, but worn they look like regular pants with a slight twist in the leg. not really too amazing, especially for the price that it demands. i've seen the hair tie in pictures and it looks super stupid.
    Did you get and like the larger dick?

[quote user="Johnny"]

Honestly, i like ccp, have some of his stuff, but they are just narrow fitting trousers....that's all they look like. if you didn't see them lying out in the u-shape you would never know.

why is this mis-shaped trouser a good thing? the fact that he makes such stupid things, like these trousers, and the horse hair ties etc, puts me off his other more normal work.

[/quote]

I think it's how people see it. Some see this as a gimmick, some as a sartorial experiment. That's what I think lies at the heart of discussion of someone like Thom Browne, I think.

I could live with the pants... the horsehair tie is another matter :-). Or that stupid flask that drexl pointed out, absolutely pointless...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I agree, all that matters is how one views the garment, and like Albert, I cant wait to try on the pants as well. If I simply wanted some really nice pair of pants, some sort of sartorial benchmark, then I might as well have gone to hermes, or bottega, or even a top notch tailor, whose pants cost approx. 2/3 of the price. I would pay that retail price if I liked the style and wanted some pair of superlative dressy pants, but then again, when someone like Poell so obviously expresses so much thought, creativity and passion, along with an unsurpassed level of execution (plus the fact that it prob wouldnt nearly be as mass produced as hermes and bottega), then perhaps it might be worth paying that extra 1/3 of the price on a unique garment. After all, I think that most of the pple here dress for themselves, and perhaps it's about the emotions that are evoked when one finds and wears such a garment. It's all about the details...

/\ however, when an emotion is the one of a satisfaction of owning something exclusive, that bothers me. it's kind of shallow, like feeling proud to belong to some exclusive club.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

[quote user="Faust"]/\ however, when an emotion is the one of a satisfaction of owning something exclusive, that bothers me. it's kind of shallow, like feeling proud to belong to some exclusive club.
    [/quote]

I agree. At that point it's just commodity fetishism and enjoyment of luxury, neither of which have anything to do with the appreciation of work and love put into a garment.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time understanding the "creativity, thought, and passion" justification for the prices of these clothes. There are other designers who invest their work with these qualities without being so unbelievably exclusive and expensive. If Chalayan or Alber Elbaz is not to your taste, fine. But to imply that their passion and hard work is somehow lesser than that of a designer whose, ahem, "aesthetic" is more to your liking is just misguided.

I don't mind the pants--the U is pretty cool. I suppose I can imagine taking pleasure in the fact that my pants form a U-shape when I take them off....there's all kinds of fetishism, after all. [:P]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

I want to support ccp... I love some of his designs and I even like his mistakes (I would rather support a designer who makes the occasional crazy/stupid hair tie than one that is only concerned with functionality). But the prices... I can't. I can't comprehend, can't justify. I don't think I will ever be able to afford one of his leather pieces and honestly, as much as I like how they look, I don't know if I could wear his clothing without being acutely aware of the cost.

The point is, like Laika mentioned, I don't think he needs to make clothes with such expensive materials/manufacturing cost, he could use his creativity and intelligence to subvert the market, but instead his clothes reinforce a certain type of cultural and economic elitism.

It is all a little depressing, I feel like a marxist just thinking about it.