X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: Carol Christian Poell

Thanks. I just hope it wasn't too rambling. I didn't write an outline before I put the virtual pen to paper hehe.

I think fashion and clothing acquisition/collection is a hobby/vice essentially just like any other. My brother spends his money on music, shows and concerts while I spend it on clothes and things like that. Other people supe up their cars. Everybody has something you know? And most interestingly is that for every hobby/interest, there are those that are snobby about it too (be it sales associates or whatever for clothes). Your stereotypical guy who works at a record shop judging you for your music and saying he listens to some obscure band and how they're better than anyone else. Or hell, even the guy who owns the comic book shop. Classic!

It's interesting to break down personal interests like this sometimes!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• bboysdontcryy
      • Feb 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Some detail shots of the CCP eyeball necklace! Makes it EASY for y'all to replicate:

[/quote] Any idea where I can get eyeball accessories like these?

Comment

• explicit
        • Jan 2007

here's one for you, bboys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-PROSTHETIC-ACRYLIC-GLASS-EYE-WIERD-BIZZARE-NR_W0QQitemZ120089668550QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4084QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

• bboysdontcryy
          • Feb 2007

Thanks mate. That was prompt.

I just realised that my post was kind of abrupt after reading through from page 1 to 16. It was thankfully at the simmering end of a slightly tense debate. I guess there are two sidesto a coin, so what bothKhiev and Faust have said are legitimate in their own right. I however admit that we so often capitalise on our interest and are focused on a particular labelandso sometimes artifical (nascent stage)by calling ourselves fashionistas. But well, we evolve and that is what matters. No?

Comment

• kamsky
            • Jan 2007

at the somewhat incongruously-located evolution store in soho:

www.evolutionnyc.com

it does not seem to be the most frequently updated website in existence, but i am guessing that if you give them a ring, they will be able to sort you out.

i would be interested in hearing what it is about this accessory that appeals to you guys.

Comment

• bboysdontcryy
              • Feb 2007

Haha. For myself,this fetish to incorporate the eyeball into an outerwear has been thriving for quite some time now. A sui generis desireforgotten tillI chancedupon the ccp accessory. Maybe the twisted and stark humanity has perverted my mind so much so thatI'm embracing this stark style that hints at morbidity.

Anyway, was just curious, no sarcasm intended, but is the overlocking stitching tough to duplicate or will any normal tailor be able to pull off that effect?

Comment

• tweeds
                • Sep 2006

being one of the "monkeys" from superfuture, i thought it would be timely to pop my head out and offer an opinion.

i think Chinorlz's last paragraph about making stuff himself draws out the most agreement in me. as a musician that loves his classical work, but also plays jazz and rock, the point where i feel that i can pause for a moment will arrive when i have created something that i feel is of worth. appreciation of what has come before is essential, and so is understanding how others work, but it serves as a foundation to create something in response to it. in trying to make a version of the MA+ accordion bag, i think he has created his own response to work that already exists. and hence i think more important than enjoying and appreciating others' work is the desire to reply in a concrete fashion. it's easy to talk or write - everyone's a fashion/literary/music/art critic nowadays - but how many critics can themselves create?

people like mia (tg76) get big ups in my book because of their efforts to figure out things like the CCP twist jeans which others can only appraise or comment on.

and in the same way hopefully one day my interest in denim will allow me to do some real work with the fabric, whether in design or manufacture, and go beyond just learning about the processes theoretically.

SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="tweedlesinpink"]

being one of the "monkeys" from superfuture, i thought it would be timely to pop my head out and offer an opinion.

i think Chinorlz's last paragraph about making stuff himself draws out the most agreement in me. as a musician that loves his classical work, but also plays jazz and rock, the point where i feel that i can pause for a moment will arrive when i have created something that i feel is of worth. appreciation of what has come before is essential, and so is understanding how others work, but it serves as a foundation to create something in response to it. in trying to make a version of the MA+ accordion bag, i think he has created his own response to work that already exists. and hence i think more important than enjoying and appreciating others' work is the desire to reply in a concrete fashion. it's easy to talk or write - everyone's a fashion/literary/music/art critic nowadays - but how many critics can themselves create?

people like mia (tg76) get big ups in my book because of their efforts to figure out things like the CCP twist jeans which others can only appraise or comment on.

and in the same way hopefully one day my interest in denim will allow me to do some real work with the fabric, whether in design or manufacture, and go beyond just learning about the processes theoretically.

[/quote]

An opinion noted, and has some validity, in a sense that if you try to create something yourself and see others do good work, it makes you appreciate it more. That's about it. The adage that if you can't make something in the same medium you can't critique others' work is as old as the world, and has often been voiced by many a talentless hack as their last resort from criticism. We are ALL critics - each time you make a choice, you are a critic. Whether you are interested enough to imitate a simple bag like M.A.+ or not - you have a right to critique. A critic's role is to offer an unbiased-as-possible opinion based on his knowledge, and his view of the world without being swayed by any incentive from the outside. Working in the same medium may give you a better technical appreciation of others work, but it's not the primary job of a critic. Art criticism has been perverted for a while now, it doesn't mean that you need to subscribe to it.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xcoldricex
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

An opinion noted, and has some validity, in a sense that if you try to create something yourself and see others do good work, it makes you appreciate it more. That's about it. The adage that if you can't make something in the same medium you can't critique others' work is as old as the world, and has often been voiced by many a talentless hack as their last resort from criticism. We are ALL critics - each time you make a choice, you are a critic. Whether you are interested enough to imitate a simple bag like M.A.+ or not - you have a right to critique. A critic's role is to offer an unbiased-as-possible opinion based on his knowledge, and his view of the world without being swayed by any incentive from the outside. Working in the same medium may give you a better technical appreciation of others work, but it's not the primary job of a critic. Art criticism has been perverted for a while now, it doesn't mean that you need to subscribe to it.

[/quote]

nicely put.

Comment

• tweeds
                      • Sep 2006

fair point, Faust, and i think sometimes i overstep my intentions...the initial fervour carries my writing a little further than i planned on going.

the extent to which i will make my case will be that contact with real work affords a good critic a very valuable education about his subject-matter. from a personal standpoint, i am more likely to believe a critic's opinion (well, believe to the extent of going to examine the product for myself) if i know that he/she appreciates the work that has gone into it from his/her own prior experience.

hence, fashion boards sometimes get to me simply for being too precious when members are not well-versed in the field. i enjoy my denim and do alot of reading about it but if i were to talk to someone who has actually been working with denim, he would find out that my comments were only superficial. sometimes when people go on about riri zippers, i find myself asking if they really know the ins and outs of zipper construction so that they can tell that one is substantially better than the other?

of course, to say that fashion designers can critique other designers is certainly being silly. the ensuing melee can only be termed a bitchfest. ;)

all that said and done, like many people here i have a goodly amount of respect for the work CCP puts out, and would love to have a chance to look at it in person some day.

SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="tweedlesinpink"]

fair point, Faust, and i think sometimes i overstep my intentions...the initial fervour carries my writing a little further than i planned on going.

the extent to which i will make my case will be that contact with real work affords a good critic a very valuable education about his subject-matter. from a personal standpoint, i am more likely to believe a critic's opinion (well, believe to the extent of going to examine the product for myself) if i know that he/she appreciates the work that has gone into it from his/her own prior experience.

hence, fashion boards sometimes get to me simply for being too precious when members are not well-versed in the field. i enjoy my denim and do alot of reading about it but if i were to talk to someone who has actually been working with denim, he would find out that my comments were only superficial. sometimes when people go on about riri zippers, i find myself asking if they really know the ins and outs of zipper construction so that they can tell that one is substantially better than the other?

of course, to say that fashion designers can critique other designers is certainly being silly. the ensuing melee can only be termed a bitchfest. ;)

all that said and done, like many people here i have a goodly amount of respect for the work CCP puts out, and would love to have a chance to look at it in person some day.

[/quote]

Oh, I totally agree that trying to do something in the same medium can only give you a higher appreciation for others work. I'm putting that in my thesis, actually. It's the appreciation for what you can't do. A famous art critic Robert Hughes put it well in his essay Art and the Theraputic Fallacy. I quoted it in my blog.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Just came back from Alan Bilzerian who decided to carry CCP this season (along with the Rick Owens main line... Rick put out some drawstring shorts this season...). Nothing incredibly interesting except for the overlock leather jacket this season.

A rundown:

-long sleeved whitish green jerseys ($400ish)

-plain white dress shirts ($530! ouch!)

- black clear taped blazer ($2200ish)

- black clear taped long coat ($3500ish)

- overlock leather jacket ($5500!)

I tried on the overlock leather jacket and... I'm a believer. I loved last seasons, but this one is just as good. It's this perfect black/gray and the leather is beyond amazing. Unlike last season, this season it is cut SMALL. Sleeves are super slim (super super slim). I could not get my arms into the 50 while wearing a thickish white shirt (more like a medium weight sweater). I put on the 52 and zipped it up and it's perfection.

Unfortunately you can see that AB jacks the price even more than Atelier and tax will just about kill you when the price is this high. All said and done you'd be paying nearly $1000 more at AB when compared to Atelier.

If you're looking to get this jacket, go through Lazzari or another european source. You'll literally save hundreds.

As expected though, AB picked up none of the super interesting pieces this season. No one is Boston is going to buy U shaped pants. I'd be surprised if they get the CCP footwear in.

The SA said that he thinks they'll be receiving some CCP accessories in a few weeks as well.

ddohnggo, check out the jacket if/when you get the chance. Same goes for you LanceP [:P]

If you're in Boston, I highly recommend trying on the overlock leather jacket. I know... I'm almost treating the experience like some sort of ride. But... it's amazing.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• xcoldricex
                            • Sep 2006

well at least A has some "competition" on the east coast now. maybe prices will level out/go down (i know i can be a dreamer) - but i guess that wasn't the case for cdiem though so... ah well, not like i buy the stuff at retail anyway.

thanks for the info/update though chinorlz!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

Yeah $5.5K is RIDICULOUS.

Speaking of crazy high prices, the Sartoria coat ($6250 or so) has been returned to Alan Bilzerian and is now hanging unceremoniously at the end of a side rack sans outer sheath.

Aren't Dior Homme leather jackets now upwards of $3200-3500 as well? Through Lazzari at least the prices are a tad bit better for CCP.

Unfortunately since AB's prices are higher than Ateliers, it won't be much competition so to speak. Sucks doesn't it?

I'm glad that they picked up the Rick Owens main line again.... although I won't be around to really check it out/take advantage of the impending sale of it later.

....something tells me he won't be putting his CCP on sale either judging from his relatively conservative buy.

Comment

• ionn26
                                • Feb 2007

I tried to buy some CCP pieces At Lazzari and It says on their website that for overseas order, you order first and then they will contact you for shipping etc.. and I have not received anything from them at all and this was like a week ago.. I am starting to wonder about the service and creditbility of the website... [:|]

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎