Thread: Carol Christian Poell

Banned

Thanks for sharing, Kev !

really i think these are stunning really really beautiful i also love his choice in model

i can see how people find them unplesant but this is why they are so beautiful

That model is quite disturbing. I suppose he wants to force us to look at disfigurement in order to get over the initial repulsion. Probably even to acknowledge that it's wrong to be repulsed by this and we should be empathetic instead.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    That model is quite disturbing. I suppose he wants to force us to look at disfigurement in order to get over the initial repulsion. Probably even to acknowledge that it's wrong to be repulsed by this and we should be empathetic instead.
    Not so much, since she's still got (a part of) the face and the body of a model. This would make me think, once again, that he's trying so hard to be an artist, but remains a designer.

Scar echoing the stitching : good or bad taste ?

You don't find her disturbing because you feel it's too stylized, is that it? That makes sense.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    You don't find her disturbing because you feel it's too stylized, is that it? That makes sense.
    Not only stylized. She's not a freak. She's a model (beautifull face + beautifull body) who got an accident. But an accidented model is still a model. And that's the reason, I guess, why she's been choosen.

EDIT : Is she really real, means not a photoshoped one ?

Well, I suppose for anatomical reasons she fit (he still needed to model the clothes). I don't know if she's a professional model - somehow I doubt that. Speaking of "real" freaks - do you remember the infamous Galliano show where he sent a freak circus down the runway? Talk about epic.

I don't know if that's pshopped or not - anything is possible.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I think it is two strips of sticky tape on the face... Diagonal for the lip and vertical for the eye.... That was my first impression at least...

Thanks so much for the pictures kev...

That's probably it, Uparmoured.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

yea for a scar that looks very wide to go all the from the mouth over the eyelid. could be taped or masked.

anyway, I can see how its a bit disturbing, but also a very interesting idea and something you could easily expect from Carol.. the girl is very pretty but scarred.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

If I'm not mistaken her face is simply being distorted by clear masking tape.

Poell only considers the body as volume, a three dimensional form. He doesn't consider the identity of the wearer and in fact wants to strip away the identity of the model and focus the attention on the garments rather than the person wearing them. This was done in a previous collection by completely covering the face.
    IMO in this case it's similar. The 'scars' echoing the stitching, is a reflection of this attitude - the garment is more important than the wearer, so much so that he's prepared to 'disfigure' her image to maintain aesthetic continuity.

This is not to say that Poell does not want wearers to inject their own personality when wearing his garments, but he wants this personality to come from the wearer themselves, not from the model wearing his garments in a lookbook.

Thanks for the pics, Kev. Would love to see what else you've got!
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

i find the sellotape over the face thing to be really third rate. it's the kind of thing undergraduates do when they're out on the piss, for a laugh. it's really clumsy. moreoever, it doesn't create annonimity, in the sense of allowing us to focus on the clothes - it makes us look at the disfigured woman modelling them. it doesn't seem to be celebrating different-ness or imperfection in the way that Galliano did, it's just a bit of gratuitous fake scarring. it may echo the scarring on the clothes, but why?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chant View Post

More interesting is imo the echo between the pleats of the dress and these of the armpit.

You have a good eye, Chant

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    i find the sellotape over the face thing to be really third rate. it's the kind of thing undergraduates do when they're out on the piss, for a laugh. it's really clumsy.

douglas gordon - monster reborn

yeah, i hate that piece...in some ways gordon has made a princely sum doing third rate work, especially the body of work with his hands fucking each other or whatever bore it was. when on however, he is a master.
    Last edited by philip nod; 02-09-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: carol hates women but cant elaborate
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Yes I agree with that re Gordon. I saw his big retrosepctive in Avignon in the sunmmer, which I enjoyed on the whole, but some of it is very banal. however, don't know what you'd consider on form philip, but i loved the big elephants videos, kind of mesmerising.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pniddy
    yeah i feel that simply put, and i think i said this before, carol hates women. his work seeks to destroy a women beauty and isolate and disfigure her attractiveness. thats poorly put, but if theres a side of the mountain to fall on, it aint the one that wants to make a woman more beautiful. i guess i'm trying to say that with the menswear its about fucking with the clothes rarely about fucking with the model and the clothes. the womenwears seems designed to incorporate a tortured look and person. maybe somebody can help me say what i'm trying to say, i've never known quite how to put it
    Blacksuit whispers, surprised, to my ear : does fucking the model not implicate to remove her clothes ?

such more for erasing my post
    i didn't say fucking the model, which i'm sure carol is n't interested in.
    fucking with the model.

and i love that gordon elephant installation.
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Banned

CCP is an Austrian fellow. He learnt at least something from the Aktionismus :

I don't care about CCP' personal feelings about women, I'm interested in his design/art, and I wouldn't say that the woman in not attractive.
    The way is transformed her face reminds me of Joseh-Jospehine, the half-man half-woman freak in Tod Brownings' movie.
    Last edited by Chant; 02-09-2009 at 10:56 AM.