X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbt
    • Jan 2007

Re: Carol Christian Poell

Seventh, I think I misunderstood the point you were making. You said, "It seems that Poell and Carpe trade on a type of elitism that is purely economic". That is an interesting observation. If I'd read that post more carefully I would not have objected to your Comme/Poell pricing comparisons in the way I did. In other words, sure, Comme is expensive, but with Poell, price is about status in a way it's not with Comme. If I read your post correctly. Not sure I agree with that argument. It's well worth considering though.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="pbt"]Seventh, I think I misunderstood the point you were making. You said, "It seems that Poell and Carpe trade on a type of elitism that is purely economic". That is an interesting observation. If I'd read that post more carefully I would not have objected to your Comme/Poell pricing comparisons in the way I did. In other words, sure, Comme is expensive, but with Poell, price is about status in a way it's not with Comme. If I read your post correctly. Not sure I agree with that argument. It's well worth considering though. [/quote]

Not always. I can tell you that I would choose a pair of $700 Poell pants over $700 CDG pants in a flash. People here have been concentrating on $5k leather jackets, but it's not the only thing Poell makes. His pants have been his staple for me, personally. I find them just PERFECT.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• pbt
        • Jan 2007

I agree on the pants -- the dress pants. I also feel like my size is cut pefectly for my body. The blazers also are sublime as far as I'm concerned. And I realise the price discussion has been focussed mainly on the leathers. Was taking up Seventh's example of pants (although I think it was Seventh who originally initiated the discussion on the pricey leathers).

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Sorry sorry! Been crazy busy the last couple of days. Getting ready for our Shanghai/Dubai 2 week vacation. Acquiring visas with US passports in Germany is no easy task haha

I only had a chance to briefly skim over everyones points and I will contribute tomorrow! It's WAY too late here now and it's time for bed! [:)]

*loving a great discussion*

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• ionn26
            • Feb 2007

Well... here is my two cent... The fact is that when you are talking about industrial production that is massively produced. There are no two items that are alike. So in the event of 10,000PCS vs say 20PCS everyone of each individual pieces are all unique. They are all working under the same tolerance limit that are required to make a style. So if you want to put it that way, both 10,000PCS and 20PCS are all unique.

I think it is just whether you justify the amount you pay. I mean... LV is know for massive production, but hey.. still can charge a hefty price for a bag right???

The way I see it in terms of just monetary, 5K for a piece of CCP leather jacket is nothing when you really compare to LV's bag. But take the 5K out of context of CCP leather, you can buy so many things in life, it seems such a 'luxury' for splurging on a jacket. So it is all relative and we have establish that already.

To me... CCP and Carpe Diem is like a piece of art that you can wear on yourself, but then again, my friends think I am shallow that I need to spend huge amount of money on cloth which can be used to build my wealth. In many ways I agree with them on the building wealth part. The argument for them is 5K they can may be buy a bunch of clothes, like faust pointed out, that can also be beaten to death using it to get the same CCP effect so why the hell I can just spend on a piece of clothing.

Its a neverending cycle of same argument. For me .. what makes it very interesting is that the jacket may be passed onto the next generation to be used. That the irony is the clothing will last longer then our life. That for me is the, for the lack of better word, 'erotic' part. That it does pass on generations after generations like when CCP used mummfied lamb for some of his clothing.

My Search continues.....

Comment

• xcoldricex
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Sorry sorry! Been crazy busy the last couple of days. Getting ready for our Shanghai/Dubai 2 week vacation. Acquiring visas with US passports in Germany is no easy task haha

I only had a chance to briefly skim over everyones points and I will contribute tomorrow! It's WAY too late here now and it's time for bed! [:)]

*loving a great discussion*

[/quote]

haha good thing i spoke to you... otherwise you'd wind up in shanghai without being able to enter the country!

Comment

• arcdxxx
                • Mar 2007

What is the brilliant concept behind these Junya pieces?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="arcdxxx"]

What is the brilliant concept behind these Junya pieces?

[/quote]

It's on the blue tag that his menswear has. Read it next time you are checking his menswear out. [:D]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• arcdxxx
                    • Mar 2007

Forgive me, I can't figure out how to attach photos to the post. I meant to have pics from these two links appear with my last post.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

/\ I fixed the first one. All you do is click on the little tree icon in your post and past the image link in there. I could not do anything with the second link, seems like an invalid link.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• arcdxxx
                        • Mar 2007

I've tried that, with no luck. Do you have to fill in all of the additional pic size inf, or just the link?

here is the other link:

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ just the link, works for me. On to the discussion! What are you trying to say with these images (besides the fact that these are not the greatest examples of Junya's work :-)).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• arcdxxx
                            • Mar 2007

My impression of Junya's work from what I've seen in person and published, is a over-the-top, geeky, sometimes approaching cartoonish aesthetic. He seems to be doing clothes with a sense of humor. I don't get the joke or why anyone would want to spend that much money to look sort of silly.

Comment

• Buckwheat
                              • Sep 2006

there is a Junya Watanabe thread on here. Maybe we can move the discussion over there.

Comment

• arcdxxx
                                • Mar 2007

Junya was brought up by someone else in relation to CCP. I am merely responding to the earlier discussion. It is relevant to this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎