Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKA*NYC
    • Nov 2007

at the end of the day it's just clothes. i doubt a single designer - certainly not the one who this derailed thread is dedicated to - would say otherwise. there are far more important things in the world to venerate.
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ that is also a valid point of view. i also don't think that carol has artistic pretensions that he is often awarded here. he doesn't strike me as such a designer. he strikes me as a genius technician, and for a designer that's good enough.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BSR
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        /\ that is also a valid point of view. i also don't think that carol has artistic pretensions that he is often awarded here. he doesn't strike me as such a designer. he strikes me as a genius technician, and for a designer that's good enough.
        it's not the first time i read that from you... it really puzzles me: you don't see any 'vision' or any extra-technical inspiration in Diesel's work?
        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I don't really. I don't see the same strength of cultural narrative, the way I see in Ann or Rick or Yohji. I think he is concerned with the garment, not with the way the garment relates to culture. But, I am interested to see what you have to write on the subject.

P.S. I am not in anyway trying to belittle his skill as a designer. It's different, not better/worse.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

I agree, he picks inspiration here and there with the core being rather classic mens wear. the focus is on tailoring, techniques, detailing, treatments and so forth, not so much on a certain theme or story. I think this also makes his work very versatile, you can be dressed head to toe in Carol for a business meeting without looking out of place, or go all out with a parachute parka, mutant gloves, drop crotch trousers and frankenstein sneakers. and of course, everything in between. its all about the garment.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• seenmy
              • May 2009

Thats always been my connection with his work,very product lead investigation,pushing objects as far as he can and inventing or probably more rightly re interpreting construction techniques to drive objects forward, I think even the way his garments arrive with the small technical booklets puts forward the message it is very much about the object.

this is not to say he dosent have artistic intentions/aspirations I just don't believe has to solely channel his creative output through his garments,and probably dosent want to as they can become a creative limitation.

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

agreed with the above. its the whole "fashion experimenter" thing he has going. that said, the art is the object. or rather, the object is the art. i find that creativity thrives when forced to operate within limitations.
                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• BSR
                  • Aug 2008

Ok, but clothes are signs and forms, not only 'products'. On both sides (sign and form) Poell is innovative. It would be a shame to forget that...

I'd like to elaborate more, but no time for that atm, will be back later maybe.
                  pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                  Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

for sure you are right b. i doubt anyone would dispute that. thats why i said "object" and not "product"
                    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

where2kop product-dyed hockeyes?
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• gaitortrout
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by merz
                        any word on the latest?
                        I heard that the buyers have been locked in a dungeon and are being harvested for leather.
                        pm me.

Comment

CCP soleless rubber derbies

Comment

• Chant
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2008

Thomas Buckler/Tumnus Truck Tour ?
                            Nobody could buy and wear them but you.
                            HOF !

Comment

• huckleberry
                              • Jul 2009

I second that! He's probably the only person who can pull them off.

Comment

• snafu
                                • Apr 2008

i agree HOF, mr buckler amazing !

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡