Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

He's still doing a showroom presentation AFAIK as well as a lookbook which also has become more and more limited. Last one I saw in person was for Paranoid and then after that apparently stores had to return the lookbook to the CCP atelier after the season was over.

Certainly I can understand to an extent Carol's want to keep things under wraps. The design world is absolutely rife with idea stealing. That being said, it does put the designer in a quandry as you (presumably) want to see your work get some press so people at least know what the hell you're doing, yet at the same time you don't want to release images willy nilly just to see something a little too similar to yours show up under some other name.

That being said, I don't think Carol should worry about the latter, just like most designers that are really focused on what they're constructing/creating and are confident in their work and voice.

"artistic integrity" etc. etc. sure can be argued but at the end of the day it's still a business with employees to pay, machines to run, fabric to buy etc. and if people don't know what you're producing then people aren't buying not out of not wanting but out of not knowing.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
      seconded.
      anyone remember mainstream/downstream? now its just straight to the rack?
      now it's downstream/mainstream.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
        He's still doing a showroom presentation AFAIK as well as a lookbook which also has become more and more limited. Last one I saw in person was for Paranoid and then after that apparently stores had to return the lookbook to the CCP atelier after the season was over.

Certainly I can understand to an extent Carol's want to keep things under wraps. The design world is absolutely rife with idea stealing. That being said, it does put the designer in a quandry as you (presumably) want to see your work get some press so people at least know what the hell you're doing, yet at the same time you don't want to release images willy nilly just to see something a little too similar to yours show up under some other name.

That being said, I don't think Carol should worry about the latter, just like most designers that are really focused on what they're constructing/creating and are confident in their work and voice.

"artistic integrity" etc. etc. sure can be argued but at the end of the day it's still a business with employees to pay, machines to run, fabric to buy etc. and if people don't know what you're producing then people aren't buying not out of not wanting but out of not knowing.
        Who cares? Not his audience, that's for sure. We know where the ideas come from. His audience does not mix either with All Saints nor Gucci. The point is we value his work because it is his.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
          • Nov 2007

i have mixed feelings about carol's policies but the notion that the collection can be "experienced" is more or less a fallacy since most of the unique pieces are pre-sold way in advance or purchased on the day they appear. unless someone is in on the ground floor there's no experiencing much of anything. carol needs to open his own boutique.
          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

his policies are extremely elitist in a way that would make the art world blush.
            object dye a fucking dead horse and only allow the showroom mafia to see it? somewhere dick Cheney is smiling.
            at least when burden had himself shot he released a photo
            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• cuddly
              • Sep 2007

we already pay exuberance amounts of money on their craft yet they want control us consumers by paying them mind as a sign of respect. load of crap,just put out the damn clothes and shut your trap! that goes to all these designers.we got other important shit in life to take care of than tippity toe and hope we don't step on their ego. the nerve!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

make new SZ username, post images on imageshack ;)
                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• timberlakeld
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                  make new SZ username, post images on imageshack ;)

thats a good idea. lol

Comment

• cuddly
                    • Sep 2007

SZ is like the "TMZ" of fashion, designers will get exposed .like faust said wikilieaks of fashion .were a fan of the clothes not the person. these designers doesn't give a shit about you, just your money. stop worshipping them.

Comment

• khiev
                      • Nov 2006

Japanese clients are not complaining. Lift held a week long private preview of the 2011 collection where any piece could be tried on and pre-ordered in different colors and fabrics. It was up to the buyer's imagination. The showroom presentation itself was visually outstanding and very intimate. No pretense or snobbery, I think that's exactly how the CCP team intended his collection to be experienced.

It's really up to other retailers to step up their game and provide their clients with the same opportunity but I suspect that it's a lot more logistically complicated than I make it sound.

Comment

• khiev
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by cuddly View Post
                        SZ is like the "TMZ" of fashion, designers will get exposed .like faust said wikilieaks of fashion .were a fan of the clothes not the person. these designers doesn't give a shit about you, just your money. stop worshipping them.
                        Not entirely true. The CCP team responds very kindly to passionate and loyal customers.

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

what did you order
                          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• khiev
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                            what did you order
                            he sipped dry my budget pool for every other designer :-(

Comment

• theaddict
                              • Apr 2008

And I bet you ordered not a lot of pieces...

Originally posted by khiev View Post
                              he sipped dry my budget pool for every other designer :-(
                              Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• khiev
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Eternal
                                I agree about the last paragraph, if CCP is willing to let other retailers do that.

I can't really see the correlation between no snobbery and a priate preview though. I know that good customers should be taken care of, but it is indeed snobbery to only let a few people have this experience. As you never know who might have opened their eyes for CCP and what they want to buy.
                                Any customer who expressed an interest in the new collection could view it. It's not like I saw every client in there just going mad and kopping everything. Most clients just buy one or two pieces.
                                I just meant to say the showroom didn't feel overly pretentious or anything like that. As to whether the idea being having a private showing to real fans is snobbery, I dont know about that. I guess I agree to some extent but you could make the case for so many other brands here, I dont think MA+ or LUC had a public viewing of their collection in the sense that a layman just happens to walk in a gallery and randomly discovers an artist's work. Besides, the entirety of the new collection is not for a newcomer. There's always the regular CCP space at lift etage for new customers.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎