X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Running om Empty
    • Mar 2007

Re: Carol Christian Poell

I've only been skimming this thread so my apologies if this has already been stated. Regarding a10k jacket, I dont see why all fuss over the price or reasoning behind it. Some one-of couture gowns go for 60-100k. Mind you these are fitted for the models so the purchaser/collectors (not always women) can't even wear them. CCP's prices are justified by what his market will bear not just the pieces themselves.

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

Thanks for the input Zamb! I knew, as our resident designer, you would have some more business savvy information.
      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Thanks, zamb.

RoE, no fuss here - we're just talking.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Running om Empty"]I've only been skimming this thread so my apologies if this has already been stated. Regarding a10k jacket, I dont see why all fuss over the price or reasoning behind it. Some one-of couture gowns go for 60-100k. Mind you these are fitted for the models so the purchaser/collectors (not always women) can't even wear them. CCP's prices are justified by what his market will bear not just the pieces themselves.
          [/quote]

But Couture is a completely different thing--it can take up to a year to make a single gown. And the clothes are fitted to each client, not to models--the multiplefittings themselves take up a lot of time. It's completely custom work, where buyer and designer interact throughout the entire process.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Running om Empty
            • Mar 2007

Faust - I didn't mean fuss as a pejorative, its not a put down to this conversation. Its just I dont think you can use your spending threshold as a justification for an articles value.

Laika - that is only one aspect of couture. Some buyers purchase the garment right off the runway at those prices as well; that is what I was referencing. Mind you the CCP jacket in question is sight-unseen and highly speculative at this point. This means we dont know how long he's been working on it to this point.

Zamb - I have to take your post with a grain of salt. Remember you are remaking a finished product and that sort of reverse engineering may only take you a weekend to duplicate but you have not factored in the articles organic conception. You're quite deft with a thread a needle but its presumptuous to say it will only take a day to make a duplicate artisanal piece of which the original you have yet to see.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Ok, point well taken - it's just "fuss" is a pejorative word by nature [66]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

[quote user="Running om Empty"]
                Zamb - I have to take your post with a grain of salt. Remember you are remaking a finished product and that sort of reverse engineering may only take you a weekend to duplicate but you have not factored in the articles organic conception. You're quite deft with a thread a needle but its presumptuous to say it will only take a day to make a duplicate artisanal piece of which the original you have yet to see.
                [/quote]

I dont want to be a perv, perj purge er, perjury ............orative.... something............ [67][66]

I like the word, but its too wonderful for me ..................

Well we haven't seen the garment, so we dont know, what i did was give a basic overview approximate time, cost in terms of labor/ materials etc. so we would have an idea,............... and No i dont want to/ wont copy it.

Copying is not y forte [<:o)] il leave that to theunimaginativeones

I think i will wait to see the jacket before i saw anything else in regards to it.

One thing i know............ for 10K t had better b good! ................ Or i might have to run a 10K race.........[65][65]

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

I inquired about this at the Library and I was told that Carol sticks pretty well to making what he makes each season.

That is, CCP won't make something that is out of production now. I'm sure there are exceptions but I asked about hockeyes/wraparounds and basically I got a "no."

One of the reasons given was because it nullifies the limited nature of his clothes (although by how much... that can be argued as no one is asking him to custom make 30 overlock leather jackets) and I'm sure there are material acquisition difficulties.

It must be a very very gray area though because as I think deuxmille or bellapietra mentioning that Poell would do the leather/paper duffle in other fabrics....

That being said... money straight up talks. Give anyone enough money, they'll do anything. Love to hear about any truly custom orders done via CCP...

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• ionn26
                    • Feb 2007

Man.... what a good discussion what we have.... I am very tempted to buy the 10K jacket.. but have to be given to see what it is like if it is worth it.(again that is what we are talking about in terms of design or labor cost) but like Albert says.. chances are it will be in small sizes so even if I want or I can afford it .. it will not have my sizes...so I guess a pennie less spent is a pennie earned.

I am contemplating about the gloved leather jacket.. but the issue again.. for me I can not stress enough is how it will look if you don't wear the glove. if it will flop around...

Argh.. how I wish I can be rich when it comes to CCP.

Yes I agree with someone mentioned before that the items that I want to buy is for myself and something special. I always come to this that I want to buy something special and I bought it and now I own it.. I don't wear it. and then I get bored with it.. kind of for me is about ownership of something special. As well I agree with someone mentioned that over the years my taste in cloth have changed and I do remember vividly that thinking paying diesel jeans for like 230USD is crazy.. and I got a bargain when it was at a discount.. and my shift to Dior Homme and its leather jacket and jeans. I do still have my fave leather jacket from DH from VOTC period and I would never let it go even though I don't get much out of it. Now that I prefer CCP.. yes and I don't want to sound like a snob or spoil brat.. but it is a natural progression for many to shift from lower priced(may not mean inferior quality) to higher priced...

Comment

• pipcleo
                      • Jan 2007

Ppppp
                      Last edited by pipcleo; 10-29-2012, 03:59 AM. Reason: Tttt

Comment

• interman
                        • Dec 2006

Any idea when they'll get it?

Comment

• pipcleo
                          • Jan 2007

ccp delivery schedules are always approx but apparantly 4-8 weeks
                          There will be gloved jackets , the new overlock , no fencing this time , lots of different gloves , accordion bag and usual footwear.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="pipcleo"]ccp delivery schedules are always approx but apparantly 4-8 weeks
                            There will be gloved jackets , the new overlock , no fencing this time , lots of different gloves , accordion bag and usual footwear.

[/quote]

Thanks for the update. Yep! Looking forward to the gloves but I was told that the fencing jacket would be re-released this season as well by a couple of stores. We'll have to see what shows up! I'm getting ready.... hehehe

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• ddohnggo
                              • Oct 2006

i think he was referring to the specific store in australia and its buy. i'm waiting for lazzari to put it on their site. i'm really hoping that it'll be around mid 3k from them. anyone remember how much the s/s version cost on lazzari?
                              Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• pipcleo
                                • Jan 2007

yeah.... this is the EM buy. The fencing is available this season but not here unfortunately.
                                All the overlocks are non-contrasting stitching.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎