• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: Carol Christian Poell

[quote user="DHC"]

Just curious to see if the reason for not allowing photos to run rampant could be in large part to minimizing the risk of potential pirates running with his designs. Knock-offs flood the market nowadays and I can't help but take this into consideration.

The kind of focus and energy that goes into the design and production of every single piece is immense. I'd be bloody pissed if someone were to do some crap reproduction and plant the CCP name on them.

As far as I'm concerned, he could restrict any photo he wants from showing up anywhere he finds it. It's not going to affect my respect for him and his line in the slightest. You call it eccentric, I call it sensible.

[/quote]

While you may be right (I remember reading a rumor about Carol getting his sketch book or journal stolen), just looking at a picture isn't really enough to completely rip it off. Most companies, who want to rip off something, buy the garment so they can look at every detail and copy it exactly. While we can get some idea about the garment's construction from a photo, I don't think it's nearly enough to replicate some of Carol's designs.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

I agree with Cas. It does make sense to semi-limit exposure of photos etc. to minimize idea stealing but when you're talking about such a niche line (and CCP is so incredibly below the radar that even fans have difficulty finding info on him!) there's a point between making it hard to buy (with that store not willing to take photos of specifically CCP) versus not wanting people to jack ideas/concepts.

The argument for the latter, although understandable... cannot be stopped even if you limit photos. But... c'est la vie.

It's an odd idea though... a certain Parisian store, when I asked if I could have a copy of the lookbook, was willing to give one to me no problem. Except when they looked for another one they realized they only had the one displayed for customers to flip through and thus could not give me one. Had they had two, I would have walked out with one. Gratis.

In regards to Poell's notebook getting stolen, that was written about on tFS a ways back... seems as if someone broke into his atelier and stole ONLY Carol's documentation of ideas. The odd thing is, I don't know why anyone would do that because if they were associated with any design firm, it would immediately become evident if you jacked some uniquely Carol designs.... don't know what ultimately came of the story though. Makes me wonder if there are some insane fans out there... after all, L'Eclaireur had two guys come in and specifically steal 2 CCP leather jackets. The number of people who own CCP jackets would only fill a small meeting room so... I wonder what the deal is.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• DHC
        • Jul 2007

[quote user="Casius"][quote user="DHC"]

Just curious to see if the reason for not allowing photos to run rampant could be in large part to minimizing the risk of potential pirates running with his designs. Knock-offs flood the market nowadays and I can't help but take this into consideration.

The kind of focus and energy that goes into the design and production of every single piece is immense. I'd be bloody pissed if someone were to do some crap reproduction and plant the CCP name on them.

As far as I'm concerned, he could restrict any photo he wants from showing up anywhere he finds it. It's not going to affect my respect for him and his line in the slightest. You call it eccentric, I call it sensible.

[/quote]

While you may be right (I remember reading a rumor about Carol getting his sketch book or journal stolen), just looking at a picture isn't really enough to completely rip it off. Most companies, who want to rip off something, buy the garment so they can look at every detail and copy it exactly. While we can get some idea about the garment's construction from a photo, I don't think it's nearly enough to replicate some of Carol's designs.

[/quote]

Agreed! I think it would have been better phrased "minimizing the potential.." . I believe it's implausible to replicate some of his pieces without the actual article there to reference. I whole heartedly agree with you Cas.

Originally posted by Faust
        fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Spencer
          • Feb 2007

I'm sorry to derail the thread, but how do you pronounce Carol's last name? I've never heard it aloud, so I honestly have no idea. I've been pronouncing it Poll, but would certainly like to be correct.

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

I've heard it a few ways, and even I am still a bit cloudy on it... I have heard it pronounced 'Po-ell' and 'Pole'. (I've heard the latter more often) Maybe Albert can clear this up! :)

The whole thing with the pictures ultimately isn't a big deal, it only hurts Carol's business more so than helping it. It's just the thing I don't like about is that for fans who don't live in big cities with CCP stockists (plenty on this board alone), it makes it hard to find something because most don't like to order clothing 'blind'. He has a website for God's sake! lol I know he's paying for it, so might as well use it, then there wouldn't be any worries about photos here and there because they would be provided by CCP!

Interesting about the lookbook Albert, too bad they didn't have an extra for you.

Also,if anyone's interested, the Library will take pics (at least they did for me last season), so if your looking for some pieces or just want to see what the clothing looks like, they provide some great high res photos. Speaking of which, I'm gonna email them tonight! :)

(I have some photos from Spring 07 I'll post from them that I just havent got arounnd to posting)

Comment

• dzphoto
              • Dec 2006

I was just walking through NM today and I saw a Prada ismaking a women?s wool blazer with taped seams. The tape was rubbery and heat applied on top of a tailored garmet. It wasn?t reversible but was meant togive the impression you were wearing it inside-out. Poell may not have invented the technique but the jacket wasa clear knock off of his style. :(

Comment

• KeijiHaino
                • Dec 2006

I remember wim wenders ask yohji yamamoto if he was worried about other people copying him...he laughed and said "No...they can't do what I do."

the other thing is i would much rather have people see pictures of my designs and buy them than see pictures of my designs and rip them off. but with that being said i can pretty much guarantee that there are more people interested in buying his clothes than knocking him off.

alot of people who are really up on their fashion dont even know who he is.

the reason why i want to see HIS pics is because its not the same as seeing say Atelier taking pics of them in their store..i want to see them the way he took them (or someone on his staff or whatever)....and yeah we can get technical and say that im not there to feel the paperstock and whatnot but its better to see them on the web than not at all. i think some artists and designers need to realize that.

i dont think this is a matter about him not wanting them up here, hes not like the god of the internet here. its a matter of someone else not wanting to post them.

Comment

• Casius
                  • Dec 2006

Here are some pics I have from SS07.

*click the thumbnails for big pics

Comment

• ionn26
                    • Feb 2007

Cas... very nice... I got the white short sleeve shirt that has the see through in black.. like 2 years ago ... really amazing... and kind of has the voyeuristic nature for other people to perve on you..

I am not liking the black boots because of the white base.. I think it is also from last season, no?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="KeijiHaino"]

I remember wim wenders ask yohji yamamoto if he was worried about other people copying him...he laughed and said "No...they can't do what I do."

the other thing is i would much rather have people see pictures of my designs and buy them than see pictures of my designs and rip them off. but with that being said i can pretty much guarantee that there are more people interested in buying his clothes than knocking him off.

alot of people who are really up on their fashion dont even know who he is.

the reason why i want to see HIS pics is because its not the same as seeing say Atelier taking pics of them in their store..i want to see them the way he took them (or someone on his staff or whatever)....and yeah we can get technical and say that im not there to feel the paperstock and whatnot but its better to see them on the web than not at all. i think some artists and designers need to realize that.

i dont think this is a matter about him not wanting them up here, hes not like the god of the internet here. its a matter of someone else not wanting to post them.

[/quote]

We're all in the same boat here. Posting them would be a great boon to the online CCP fan base, but like it or not I almost didn't even get the lookbook due to e-mails directly from CCP's partner. Why cause a ruckus and bring an issue to the forum or even risk it?

If people stay tuned, I may be able to "find" the photos on photobucket. I'm sure "someone" posted them there somewhere. I just have to "look" for them but just not in the next few days as my studying for school trumps what ultimately inconsequential photos.

Just don't be annoying about it. Haranguing will get you nowhere.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• mick
                        • Mar 2007

I can understand why some designers wouldn't want pictures posted. Someone alluded to the fact that pictures are very "one-dimensional",as far as i can tell the pieces he makes are much more than that... they're not just 'standard' items of clothing, the features, details make them much more than that.

One of the reasons i don't really post much is that i don't really have acces to this level of fashion; you can only get a small idea of what a designer is about by viewing runway/collection shots.... How can you seriously form opinions of the pieces without touching them, trying them on, 'experiencing' them in person?

Edit: In this case it probably has more to do with limiting exposure of the brand ?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="mick"]

I can understand why some designers wouldn't want pictures posted. Someone alluded to the fact that pictures are very "one-dimensional",as far as i can tell the pieces he makes are much more than that... they're not just 'standard' items of clothing, the features, details make them much more than that.

One of the reasons i don't really post much is that i don't really have acces to this level of fashion; you can only get a small idea of what a designer is about by viewing runway/collection shots.... How can you seriously form opinions of the pieces without touching them, trying them on, 'experiencing' them in person?

Edit: In this case it probably has more to do with limiting exposure of the brand ?

[/quote]

There is a point to be made here. It seems to me that any true artist wants his work understood and appreciated. If an artist gets hyped up and people start buying his stuff just because he made it, without any affinity to his work (I can guarantee you that there are people out there trying to dissect what the hell is Jude Law wearing, just because HE is wearing it), the work gets debased. Now some will say, "it's an elitist point of view," - so be it. I don't think so, personally - if I was an artist, I wouldn't want some idiot who has no connection or understanding of my work to touch it (and yes, to give me his money).

Now, I don't see how it applies to a forum where probably only a 100 or so people post regularly and discuss many other brands, but I guess hype could happen anywhere where there is more than one person involved.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

[quote user="Casius"]I've heard it a few ways, and even I am still a bit cloudy on it... I have heard it pronounced 'Po-ell' and 'Pole'. (I've heard the latter more often) Maybe Albert can clear this up! :) [/quote]

its most likelypronounced more like Poh-ell. "pole" would be the american way of pronouncing it ;)

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

[quote user="mike b"]

[quote user="Casius"]I've heard it a few ways, and even I am still a bit cloudy on it... I have heard it pronounced 'Po-ell' and 'Pole'. (I've heard the latter more often) Maybe Albert can clear this up! :) [/quote]

its most likely pronounced more like Poh-ell. "pole" would be the american way of pronouncing it ;)

[/quote]

I hope you're right, because I've been saying Po-ell forever...lol It just sounds nicer... :)

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

It's Poh-ell. To be honest I had never heard (well read in this case)Poll before this thread.
                                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎