X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • interman
    • Dec 2006

Re: Carol Christian Poell

I'm pretty sure I heard "Poll" at The Library, though I agree that Poh-ell is cooler.

Comment

• xcoldricex
      • Sep 2006

i'm pretty sure he says po-ell in the mens style video..

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

[quote user="interman"]I'm pretty sure I heard "Poll" at The Library, though I agree that Poh-ell is cooler.
        [/quote]

to be pronounced "poll" in German, it would have to be written Poll or Pohl.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• kompressorkev
          • Dec 2006

i've been saying "po-ell" for the longest time, but it seems that in the men.style video, the Library co-owner pronounces it "Pohl", and the lady atMaxfield'spronounced it "Pohl" as well...not sure

Comment

• ddohnggo
            • Oct 2006

i thought it was poh-ell before, but i'm in the same boat as kompressorkev. i think jojo pronounced it pohl as well.
            Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="merz"]

by that logic, why bother produce and market that which you do not want people to have?

or is it an attempt in trying to keep things interesting for those who already have an easy time tracking down whatever it is they may be interested in? As things stand, only a couple of people can know for sure what was in that ccp lookbook, as the store stocklists tend to vary a great deal and now some stores are outright refusing to *take photographs* of specifically ccp merchandise?

You pretty much either have to be a sales associate or willing to travel to tokyo, new york and paris just to find out what is available?

There is no argument whatsoever to how amazing poell's work is on this forum, but i had always thought the work sort of spoke for itself without any need by the maker to emphasise some extrinsic cool - too few of those who can afford serious buys of his work give a toss to begin with. just let me buy the garments and leave the rest out of it is what i say.

[/quote]

That's the thing, ideally, he does not market. Marketing is persuading to buy. Persuading, meaning undue influence, such as hype. So, it's not like he does not want people to have these clothes, of course he does! He just wants the RIGHT people to have them, who bought them because they feel affinity to that aesthetic. Anyway, I maybe putting words in his mouth - I am just speaking hypothetically.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="merz"]

I do think that it is marketing, in a sense. I mean, the attitude is not hands-off, its very much involved, only instead of promoting it seems to be towards obfuscating the product, which generally serves to lend it a sort of alluring mystique, especially so when your target audience consists, crazy folk like us aside, of the very definition to the term 'disposable income', who might by this point have forgotten the trouble it takes to obtain just about anything. I don't know, maybe i'm reading into things here but when vendors are refusing to take photos citing his displeasure as the reason, looks too bloody conspicuous.

all that said, i'm probably going to drop a painful amount for a fencing jacket through the library's service. heaven help us all.

[/quote]

hahaha, amen.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• clay
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="dzphoto"]

I was just walking through NM today and I saw a Prada ismaking a women?s wool blazer with taped seams. The tape was rubbery and heat applied on top of a tailored garmet. It wasn?t reversible but was meant togive the impression you were wearing it inside-out. Poell may not have invented the technique but the jacket wasa clear knock off of his style. :(

[/quote]

As Zamb explained the heat set tape is originally for water sealing seams in tents, raincoats etc. I actually found a site that supplies it and I plan to use this technique soon in garments, to sell. I am very inspired by the clean finish application of this tape.

I mentioned to Runner on TFS that I get upset whenever I think of a design or a concept ( seemingly on my own) only later to discover it has implemented before I got the chance. Now i'm not trying to say I thought of the tape. Poell and Cdiem totally totally inspired this in me.

Should I feel bad or not do it simply because its been done? No, because that is how design works. Most things have been done before by someone else. Ralph Rucci who IMO is one of the best designers out there, stated that his designs are just recycled ideas.

I gotta admit, since seeing Peoll, Cdiem, Undercover, RO, I have really changed in what I consider to design ( I also did a high end line last year that help me think differently than what i had in the past). Those types of designers made me reconnect to what I liked earlier in my design development. People like Yohji, Rei, Girbaud, Miyaki, Matsuda, Margiela, Lang, AnnD, Always moved me. But somehow we move in directions from things and sometimes come back.

Comment

• LEWisMe
                    • Jul 2007

Sorry to divert the current flow of this thread but I am very curious about the longevity of Poell's leather / paper pieces. Primarily the belt from this year's S / S season. I wanted to pick up the black leather / white horse hair belt but can't seem to find any in the US and Atelier still has the grey leather / white paper one.

Does the paper rip easily? Should I expect most of the paper to have disintegrated within 6 months of wear?

Thanks in advance.

"Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead." Rick Owens

Comment

• Casius
                      • Dec 2006

It's definitely going to come off with some wear, but the belt shouldn't get too much stress even with lots of wear, so I think you'll be fine (after all I think it will look dope with some wear). There's paper on the inside of the oxford shoes and it is still pretty much in tact even though I have worn them quite a bit.
                      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• H-R
                        • May 2007

i don't think it will come off easily. i have a pair of the paper over leather oxford from this spring. i wore them to walk A LOT sometime last week for 3 consecutive days, including walking along some trails and i don't see any damage at all to the paper lining.

Comment

• LEWisMe
                          • Jul 2007

Wonderful! Thank you both very much for the information.

"Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead." Rick Owens

Comment

• LEWisMe
                            • Jul 2007

One more thing... sizing. For a 29" - 30" waist, would you guys recommend a 46 or 48 size? Not sure if CCP has weird sizing for their belts as they do their boots.

Cheers!

Comment

• droogist
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="kompressorkev"]i've been saying "po-ell" for the longest time, but it seems that in the men.style video, the Library co-owner pronounces it "Pohl", and the lady atMaxfield'spronounced it "Pohl" as well...not sure[/quote]I know I'm a little late in chiming in, but the industry consensus is definitely "Pohl." (Pronounced the proper German way, it's actually more like the word "pool" spoken with a stiff upper lip, but for most people it's probably not worth the bother.)

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="LEWisMe"]

One more thing... sizing. For a 29" - 30" waist, would you guys recommend a 46 or 48 size? Not sure if CCP has weird sizing for their belts as they do their boots.

Cheers!

[/quote]

Probably 46", but some pants run slimmer than others. I have both 50 and 48 that fit identically in the waist.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎