• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Promoting the site?

Where do you guys think we should go to promote these boards? I want it to grow, but not too fast - quality over quantity. I would ideally also like the boards to be more unisex. I am thinking to go into Parsons and put some flyers up for once. I know word of mouth is the best promotion, but what else?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • mic
    • Sep 2006

Re: Promoting the site?

Actually I dont think we should promote it except from world of mouth. Mass-promotion like flyers, banners and forumposts at other bigger forums would in the end lead to the TFS-forums syndrom etc. Maybe it would feel boring with the lack of members in the beginning, but its better with few members and 100% intressting discussions than the opposite. The ones who fits in this forum would probably find it in one or another way. And its more cosy with a smaller community where you get more personal relations :)

The best way to get new quality members is invitiation! Invite the people you know would fit here.

Comment

• xcoldricex
      • Sep 2006

yeah i have this internal debate over sharing and not sharing. i realize that i would have not come across the brands i love now without the help of people over at tFS- but at the same time i'm reluctant to freely put everything out there so anyone can come by and just eat it up. I realize there's people out there that may be great contributors to the board and that you have to develop into a good contributor, but what I love about this board is that there is a basic understanding, a common interest in a particular style of fashion, and we can just push forward from there.

Comment

• darkanimal
        • Sep 2006

This board is very young and yet I could say it's been really quality so far. It will definitely grow even without promotion, slowly and steady. I'm all for bringing in more women posters to the forum, Seems like we don't have problem with menswear discussion, for women maybe if there's a great fashion women blog out there, we can do a link exchange.

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

Right now we're growing at a steady but slow pace which is an excellent way to grow IMHO. I'm not against some well done targeted promotion though, otherwise we'll quickly fall into groupthink. I mean how many "post-goth" posters wearing margiela, N(N), Cloak, Demeulemeester, Poell, Dior, etc.do we have here? How about inviting some John Varvatos fans, denim headsor more of those elusive creatures who wear dresses?
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Cool, cool. Points well taken. Actually, I think the boards are excellent quality, but I agree with Fuuma that to make it too homogenius is not the best thing. I would definitely want to see different aesthetics here, as long as there is something behind them.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

We're soon approaching 100 members, going slow but steady. What's your take on what's going on and where should we go from there?

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]We're soon approaching 100 members, going slow but steady. What's your take on what's going on and where should we go from there?[/quote]

I think I'm quite comfortable where we are as far as members and contributions - word of mouth is the best promotion. I will still probably put up flyers at Parsons. One of the things I'm thinking to do is make a forum where designer students and new designers can discuss and promote their work. I would also wish for more female contributors to make up for a balanced site.

As far as site developments, there will be much more graphic work done, I promise. It will be prettier. Content-wise, I envision store directories with google maps for major cities world-wide - I think we already have a pretty global contingent, so we can cover many major cities fairly well. I am still playing with the idea of a communal blog and maybe news feeds. That's about it. If you guys have any ideas, shoot.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkanimal
                  • Sep 2006

Yup, I've noticed certain times we get 10 guests on the forum. A good indication. There's great wealth about womenswear on the posts. From time to time I've seen some women with great outfits at mystylediary.net, maybe a link from there can do the trick

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="darkanimal"]Yup, I've noticed certain times we get 10 guests on the forum. A good indication. There's great wealth about womenswear on the posts. From time to time I've seen some women with great outfits at mystylediary.net, maybe a link from there can do the trick
                    [/quote]

I don't know the owner of that site, but I could ask. I do know (albeit only through email correspondence) Julie from coutorture.net, I was thinking to ask her at first, but I am not sure what her audience is like (some of the bloogers that her site is a hub fore are pretty good).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

How about getting in touch with some of those bloggers directly? Is that too much of a pain?

I feel like the coutorture/ almost girl vibe is very different from the one that we have going here. Seems more fashion-as-business, than fashion-as-obsession, lol.

It would be nice to have more girls though--how many female members does this site currently have?

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

How about getting in touch with some of those bloggers directly? Is that too much of a pain?

I feel like the coutorture/ almost girl vibe is very different from the one that we have going here. Seems more fashion-as-business, than fashion-as-obsession, lol.

It would be nice to have more girls though--how many female members does this site currently have?

[/quote]

I'd say because of the way the board was started and by whom it tend to be more male-centric but, I'm sure we'd all like to get more female posters, as long as they share a certain aesthetic appreciation of fashion our current members have. I'm not talking about which designers/style they like but more how they view the discipline in regard to its meaning and relationship withother design fields. I'm basically fed up with "What is Lindsey Lohan wearing today?" type of posts, although I mean no disrespect to people interested in that, I think there are wonderful boards out there for people with these interests and want this place to be about something else.

BTW don't let other posters discourage you from adding grey to your wardrobe because of your blonde hair, I think Hitchcockian blondes, as envisioned by the master himself, showed sceptical costume designers that a blonde woman could be wonderfully ethereal wearing pale grey.

Comment

• fixoid
                          • Sep 2006

these days, i feel like every one is shoving everything up my asre all the time.

i feel it is better to just do what you love. it takes time to build a userbase, do not force it.

anyone can have fancy blog marketing and flyers. nobody eles has closets full of Anne Demeulemeester. [:P]

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

[/quote]

There are several, but only two active, you and droogist. There are two other quality female members that I know of here, susie-bubble and MoreYellowBirds. I should hit them up by email and ask for their company. I'm sure it'll get better, hang on!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xcoldricex
                              • Sep 2006

why's runner still at tFS? haha

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢