Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fadetogrey
    • Apr 2009

Archaeology is what I am interested in, but I have read a lot about people getting stuck doing field work all their lives and feeling like they have no life other than being covered in dust and sunburn. While field work does appeal to me, ideally I would want to work in a museum (ie. stay in one place). So I wanted to talk to somebody who actually does that... just putting it out there if anyone on the forum is in this line of work!

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      I think in theory it's a wonderful job, but just think of how many museums there are in the world and how many people compete for them. You are going to really have to work hard, but you will also need to know people, and know people who know people. Also, the days of museums as pinnacles of culture are over - they are now trying to peddle to the masses and have the "market share" mentality just like everyone else, so you might end up losing some illusions. Just my opinion, of course.
      As someone joked (can't remember who) to work those jobs you need the pr skills of Bill Clinton and the social stamina of Paris Hilton.
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
        As someone joked (can't remember who) to work those jobs you need the pr skills of Bill Clinton and the social stamina of Paris Hilton.
        /\ that rhymes!
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sargon97
          • Jan 2009

(Keep in mind my information is over 10 years old and I'm assuming you live in the US)

First off if your interested in conservation/restoration, as enersgame said, thats a very specialized area; Even if your conserving archaeological artifacts. That area is terminal masters, with pre req in organic chem, physics math (basically pre med stuff). NYU used to be good, the Getty was setting up a program with UCLA. Also UCL (www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/).

Now if your talking Archaeology. Its generally Phd you need from a good university, if you want to be at the top of your game. Your main options are teaching/research and working at a museum. There also state/fed work working in rescue type archaeology of Native american discovered during construction etc. I don't know anything about that area.

I would say figure out specifically what your interested in, what areas and also what cultures, time periods etc. Try and volunteer at a museum. I always had the best luck just calling the department I was interested in and speaking to someone with authority rather than just taking the usually volunteer channels. Also try and speak with a Prof at your local university about careers. Some are really nice and helpful, some not. See if you can stop by during office ours.

Try and take a class (most prof don't care if you just sit in on a class, and its free) and read a book or two. Archaeology: Theories, Methods, and Practice is good as is the cambridge short introduction on Archaeology.
          Regarding schools, it really helps to go to one of the top schools in your area of interest. Jobs are hard to come by in Archaeogy and you need to stack the odds in your favor. Generally good programs are at: University of Chicago, UCLA, University College London, Cambridge University etc. But again it depends on your ar
          ea and who you would be studying under.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• fadetogrey
            • Apr 2009

Thanks very much Sargon!

Comment

• buraaq
              • Feb 2010

I'm curious as to what path the OP took? I am in the same position he was four years ago, however I am trying to set up something that isn't entirely in the West nor entirely in the East. The trouble is raising capital & finding investors who are interested in venturing into such a niche segment. I was quizzed as to what else I'd be able to bring, that IF wasn't already selling (imo their store layout, sales help and direction refelect poorly of the labels they carry, it's her ethniticy and connections that have helped draw attention to the store). I'd contacted a model/rep for certain Japanese labels and he too was trying to promote certain labels to buyers from said region unfortunately, he had a difficult time as well.
              A friend of mine had contacted Faust for information and advice but we didn't follow up as the worldwide economic slowdown scared off the few potential investors we had.

As discussed prior by others, opening a webstore would eradicate costs of opening a B&M store but again, certain labels do not want their items being sold online. Although being able to interact directly with the customer who understands and appreciates, what is being sold has a certain energy that can not be replicated when selling online.

This may seem like an interesting second post, I have been frequenting SZ for a few years but never got around to posting.

Comment

• Servo2000
                • Oct 2006

Something I'd personally be interested in is people posting their experience working in fields 'in the industry' but not related to what we know so much about already i.e. being a designer or owning / working in a store. I'd love to hear more from pattern-makers or people who work on shows or design stores, casting directors or people who work in / own factories, or even PR people or people working in the 'business' end of things. We've got have some around! If you care to comment I'd love to hear how you got into what you're doing and what the position entails.
                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• larssss
                  • Jun 2008

sup servo,

I went to university for 4 years and left with a bachelors in fashion design and technology. now, i'm working as a technical designer for a menswear label. The core of my job is working with the designer to sort out any construction issues in the designs, after that I make the patterns.

I love my job. What else you want know know?

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

Perhaps more about what your schooling entailed, how much creativity or opportunity you find to put yourself into your work? Are there other positions you know of that you could / would pursue with your degree / background? How did you find it was 'entering' the industry with your skillset or how hard was it to start working professionally? What might an 'average but hypothetical' day of work be like?

Don't feel obligated to answer all or any of those! I tried to come up with as many reasonable ones as I could to give you or anyone else who would like to answer some to choose from / get started with.

Comment

• seenmy
                      • May 2009

I think my routes pretty un conventional so I'm not sure if theres anything to learn from it other than if you want to do something get out there and do it.

I studied illustration BA, left with a pretty shit degree and no interest in drawing anything ever, I think all I really learnt at school was that what I was studying wasn't right for me or more likely that the education system wasn't one i thrived in.

I left and instantly went about trying to get an assisting job with a stylist,got knocked back a few times as I think my face didnt fit and I wasnt living in london, then I got a call to help out a designer through a friend on a editorial.from that meeting we just clicked and I took on a internship with him which taught me a ton as I had never picked up a pattern in my life before being there,I stayed for 8 months and then left to intern and a mens publication where I was an editorial assistant (fancy term for intern) I stayed there for 4 months or so and learnt how that side of the world worked and made some contacts etc,through being at that publishing house I got my first few pages of editorial as a stylist on other titles and I started out on my own.

2 and a bit years on I still work as a stylist for a couple of publications, and I also work as a consultant to a big technical outdoors company and to a menswear designer in london, alongside commercial styling work for a bunch of brands.I also consult as a buyer to a store and look after press for a brand too

I've had some good breaks along the way, right place right time etc,but Im a great believer of the right people finding each other and you just have to be ready to make a impact when you get that opportunity.

I like how varied my work is,and it continues to be so, the freedom of being freelance although scary sometimes is great as I can take on any challenge I want, in the future one element will I'm sure become my sole line of business but right now the variety keeps me excited.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

/\ sounds about right. it's a combination of who you know and how talented you are. luck, skill, and will.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• seenmy
                          • May 2009

pretty much sums it up in a line

Comment

• alex.a
                            • Aug 2008

^impressive and kindof inspiring for a student like me thanks for sharing seenmy, thank you, and i mean it :)

Comment

• larssss
                              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
                              Perhaps more about what your schooling entailed, how much creativity or opportunity you find to put yourself into your work? Are there other positions you know of that you could / would pursue with your degree / background? How did you find it was 'entering' the industry with your skillset or how hard was it to start working professionally? What might an 'average but hypothetical' day of work be like?

Don't feel obligated to answer all or any of those! I tried to come up with as many reasonable ones as I could to give you or anyone else who would like to answer some to choose from / get started with.
                              I graduated from this program:

I'm really pleased with the education I received there. They do an excellent job of preparing you for working in this industry and the program is very comprehensive.

I am very lucky in that I work for a brand that produced the kind of clothing I like to wear, in that sense I put myself into my work nearly all day everyday from decisions on fit to styling and so on.

With my degree I could pursue a variety of positions. I know fellow graduates who do everything from styling, production management to writing

Entering the industry wasn't very difficult, but I suppose that like discussed earlier in the thread, its all about what you know, who you know and timing. During my time at school I worked for a boutique and was able to be introduced to all sorts of people in the garment industry. One of these people just happened to be looking for someone with the skillset I was acquiring. I started my current job about a month before I graduated. Without working for the boutique I wouldn't be in this position.

Hypothetical day at work? Really that all depends on what time of year it is an where we are in the development stage. I spend tons of time sitting at a large table drafting, but at other stages I may spend the entire day on a computer doing technical drawings. I would say that no two days are the same which makes for a pretty interesting work environment.

Servo, you thinking about getting into this sort of thing? or just interested in hearing what its like?

and thanks for chiming in Seenmy, its interesting to hear peoples stories

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

Mainly just interested* - I think in a sense an important element of this forum has been about de-glamorizing 'fashion' to a certain extent and I think the more insight into the work itself the better we understand the content.

*I'm going for an illustration degree but I certainly enjoy fashion a great deal and my education has often been more about communication and problem solving than actual illustration so I'm curious if there's a 'place' for people who like to work and create but don't have 'fashion' degrees necessarily. Not that interested, necessarily, but always interested in more options.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎