Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

haven't heard anything from Buratino in a while either... I should shoot him an e-mail. The man travels more than anyone else i know!

Okay, thanks to a good friend , I learned more information about Avantindietro:

The brand is divided into 4 lines: Casual, Avantindietro, Avantgarde and Tailor.

The casual line coming up (theoretically everything in a couple of months) is going to be basics. Avantgarde is supposed to be sort of "Linea evolved"; taking the concepts of Linea and bringing them to another level. Avantgarde and Tailor will have suits... Tailor is to be the showcase line for Altieri and the prices will reflect that (jacket predicted to be $10k+), with of course irritatingly/predictably small distribution. Pants and shirt predicted pricing for tailor will be around/slightly more than CCP, and the avantgarde line pricing should be on par with CCP.

No stores have seen photos of anything. Only sketches thus far.

Footwear will be similar to what we've seen but with some little tweaks. Shaved down camel leather 5 eyelet boots with different dying on the interior and exterior. Stitches are visible only on key selected spots on the shoe with the rest hidden inside.
    Last edited by Chinorlz; 11-19-2008, 05:04 PM.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kompressorkev View Post
      curious about the suit and the "black woolen line." sorry to be a false alarm for people in upping the thread. just hoping that someone with info would chime in. buratino, where are you?

Oh yeah, read up a bit on black wool... shit is a bit too hyped I think. Wool from black sheep, gray sheep and various other natural colors can be had through certain fabric dealers. There's a demand for "natural colored" fibers and Altieri probably decided to give them a try. I'm sure the quality and feel is top notch, but a black sheep isn't that unusual in the end

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC
        eagerly waiting to see the 10k suit
        Well, one may argue that at some point, pricing becomes an art in itself.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

aaahahahaha

You know, this sort of crazy pricing got me thinking again about the whole clothing-as-art thing.

If pieces are truly made in-house by the designers team (or the designer themself) instead of outsourced to a factory, then should we balk at the asking price for something truly innovative and interesting?

One could argue that clothing as art can be worth a very very high price as it's functional versus a piece that hangs on your wall. Granted wearing equates potential wear and tear, but depending on the person, that may not matter much.

So should prices be tempered based on the idea that clothing have essentially a finite life span (leather items may last longer of course) whereas a well cared for oil painting doesn't?

These are just thoughts out loud, interested in hearing what others say.

Comment

• Spencer
            • Feb 2007

Hmm, good post Albert. I discuss all of my clothing purchases with my girlfriend, but I don't dare tell her what I'm paying for them. I just don't know where that conversation will lead, so I don't bother. I will however tell her what I pay for a piece of art regardless of price. I just lump her into the masses that I believe just won't understand throwing down a couple g's on something I'll wear and tear as opposed to something that will in all likelihood last a lifetime. It's 'art' after all.

It's the same as anything. You become accustomed to the higher prices. No matter what it is. I remember when I bought my first pair of $200 jeans. I got home and wondered wtf was I doing. They charge more. We buy it. They charge even more. We still buy it. It's just the way it is.

Comment

• Raw Edge
              • Jan 2008

I think this might be why people here gradually move towards higher quality, more "sophisticated" stuff: If you're going to pay a ton for a coat, might as well get one that is high quality enough to last a long time, and not pass with some fad.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
                I think this might be why people here gradually move towards higher quality, more "sophisticated" stuff: If you're going to pay a ton for a coat, might as well get one that is high quality enough to last a long time, and not pass with some fad.
                Oh, how I wish that would be the case.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

faust you are lamenting a lot these days....
                  One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• swami
                    • Jul 2008

Iam not as articulate as most of you in penning my thoughts but here goes...

Clothing has a basic function that can simply never be overlooked. So, as much as fashion is an art form and is a complex creative expression by the designer and the person wearing the design, It still means nothing if it cannot be worn.

The purpose of art is Art itself…. the Expression and the sending of ideas.

A certain piece of clothing for example could be part of an artwork or even be the entire artwork but then it ceases being clothing and becomes the art .

This I think makes all the difference between clothing & Art…the purpose.

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                    aaahahahaha

You know, this sort of crazy pricing got me thinking again about the whole clothing-as-art thing.

If pieces are truly made in-house by the designers team (or the designer themself) instead of outsourced to a factory, then should we balk at the asking price for something truly innovative and interesting?

One could argue that clothing as art can be worth a very very high price as it's functional versus a piece that hangs on your wall. Granted wearing equates potential wear and tear, but depending on the person, that may not matter much.

So should prices be tempered based on the idea that clothing have essentially a finite life span (leather items may last longer of course) whereas a well cared for oil painting doesn't?

These are just thoughts out loud, interested in hearing what others say.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

altieri strikes me as a sort of conceptual artist like sol lewitt. which is to say the essence of what he does is easier apprehended when spelled out on paper (in articles about buried leather, etc.) than when experienced in actuality with the eyes of a relative neophyte to the aesthetic such as myself. much of avantindietro looks uninspired and half-finished on the surface but there is apparently a rigorous inner structure (analogous to strict rules of the dogme movement in film or something) that is singular among the carpe offshoots. not sure how to tie this observation into the idea of commerce...
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Raw Edge
                        • Jan 2008

linea

Well said AKA.

I have a similar type of reaction to some of the raw/seems showing/multifabric linea shirts. I like them, i like the rawness, but really for 500+ you are buying a shirt that mainly induces the reaction, "oh, is your shirt coming apart?"

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

Clothing generally serves the basic purpose of covering your body. Art generally serves the purpose of covering your wall. Yeah, the general purpose of clothing is much more universal, but I think clothing can exist which doesn't really belong in that category any more than a conceptual piece falls in with Thomas Kincaid.

That being said, I really don't see the stuff I've laid eyes on from Carpe/continues/whatever as falling in that category. It's been artisan takes on basic clothing. When you look at some of the haute couture of the 50s (just an example, but I have a friend with a collection of 1950s haute dresses), you see clothing that is truly art. Some of the dresses I've seen from that period have their own shape, give no nods whatsoever to wearability (one that my friend owns has 4-5 layers, takes about 20 minutes to put on with an assistant, and looks entirely otherworldly when worn), and make amazing art on their own.

The Carpe Diem items I've seen (only a few) are in the shape of a basic blazer/coat/jacket/boots/pants, but systematically distressed or made from cool fabrics, or with a neat detail. They're inspired artisanal products, but I really don't see them as art.

This has been a drunken ramble brought to you by the Las Vegas airport.

Originally posted by swami View Post
                          I am not as articulate as most of you in penning my thoughts but here goes...

Clothing has a basic function that can simply never be overlooked. So, as much as fashion is an art form and is a complex creative expression by the designer and the person wearing the design, It still means nothing if it cannot be worn.

The purpose of art is Art itself…. the Expression and the sending of ideas.

A certain piece of clothing for example could be part of an artwork or even be the entire artwork but then it ceases being clothing and becomes the art .

This I think makes all the difference between clothing & Art…the purpose.
                          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Raw Edge
                            • Jan 2008

holy shit that is wild. just having this exact argument with my girlfriend at dinner tonight, as she was saying pottery is not art because it is too functional. I don't see why functional creations can't be art as well.

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by philip nod
                              time to learn how to see

linea 2002/3? photos by Anna Blessman
                              I'm missing something. I see beautifully laid out, excellently photographed pictures of distressed long coats, tight leather pants, and some boots. It seems to me like just what I was describing.

What makes this art instead of a very nice craft? I'm not trying to malign Carpe Diem, I think the stuff is beautiful, but it seems traditional or very close in shape and much more functional than the earlier haute couture I've seen as pure art.

If the answer is "you can't see," fine, but I'd rather at least understand what you're seeing, even if I disagree.
                              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Ilie
                                • May 2008

is art ever called fashion?
                                then why should fashion be called art.
                                fashion has many levels of expression and depth, fashion doesn't need the insecurity of trying to be art. fashion is fashion, art is art. There is not one better then the other.

now for more serious stuff... why aren't we getting any news on avantindietro???

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎