Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carpe Diem, Lmaltieri, Linea, etc.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Carpe Diem, Lmaltieri, Linea, etc.

It's time we honor the king of the ultimate designer menswear. I'll kick it off with the rare picture of Mr. Altieri himself.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Default Re: Carpe Diem, Lmaltieri, Linea, etc.

Seize the day

Paris, New York

With so many emerging labels seeking to establish themselves as
    antidotes to more commercial fashion houses, we feel that it's time to
    profile one of the original icons of the anti-establishment, currently
    undertaking a unique expansion. Based in Perugia, Italy, and founded by
    Maurizio Altieri in 1996 as an offshoot to Chrome Hearts,
    Carpe Diem has set itself on a path of innovation which has grown into
    various collections — each one exemplary with regard to experimentation
    and craftsmanship. Collectively known as Continues Collection, the line
    is divided into footwear and leather pieces (Carpe Diem) and a
    selection of knits (L'Maltieri).

More recently, two new lines (Linea and Sartoria) were introduced at
    Colette in Paris. Linea is based on a 3x3 modular system:
    light/medium/heavy — white/grey/black — top/middle/bottom. Linea is
    composed mostly of laser cut 3/4 length jackets, cotton trousers, and
    engineered t-shirts — all of which are interchangeable, layered, and
    conceptually linked. Like Carpe Diem, Sartoria (the Learjet of the
    fleet) continues in the "arte povera"
    aesthetic of crushed, washed, and treated leathers. But for this
    collection, customers must travel to a trailer truck parked in a Paris
    garage and get muslin fitted and digitally photographed, and then wait
    60 days for delivery of a made-to-measure item constructed out of
    leathers once buried in the desert of Afghanistan.

As with all "anti-fashion " labels, Carpe Diem doesn't advertise, and
    refuses all editorials in defiance of the standards of the fashion
    industry. One of the most distinguishing features of the collection is
    a requirement that the clothing be displayed on meat hooks, a nod to
    the founding practices of the label as a leather house. But before you
    go running to A boutique in New York, Maxfield's in Los Angeles, or
    L'Eclaireur or Colette in Paris, be warned that their refusal to play
    the fashion game also has its downside. Carpe Diem never goes on sale.

-Waleed Khairzada

link to jcreport

Wonderful photos!

As an aside, Atelier has stopped hanging their Carpe/LMaltieri/Linea items on the meathooks. They've accumulated so much of it that it's more efficient to hang on coathangers now hehehe. They are also going to be getting even more Carpe in a month or so I believe.

Next season will bring in Amadei clothing as well as LUC (as someone else on here has mentioned).

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

I have that knit in white 12-ply overdyed cashmere. Feels good, I tell ya.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

^ Holy sh*t, you have that one? I saw it in a shop for the first time a few weeks ago - I think my eyes blurred for about a minute when I saw the price (and here I was thinking I'd finally immuned myself to that sort of thing...). Good for you - imo that has to be one of the nicest things they've ever produced.

they made it in 100% cashmere or is it a mix? i was always under the impression they only made it in wool or a mix.

[quote user="droogist"]

^ Holy sh*t, you have that one? I saw
    it in a shop for the first time a few weeks ago - I think my eyes
    blurred for about a minute when I saw the price (and here I was
    thinking I'd finally immuned myself to that sort of thing...).
    Good for you - imo that has to be one of the nicest thing things
    they've ever produced.

[/quote]

Let me
    make your eyes blur the other way - I dug it out of a bin at a Barneys
    warehous sale; it cost me scandalous $150!!!!! It still had the
    $2200 price on it. It is truly gorgeous, and feels like a cosy
    cacoon.

Coldrice, it's 100% cashmere.

Hmm, I think a pic for what you are wearing today is due - too bad it's so shitty outside today.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

curious about the suit and the "black woolen line." sorry to be a false alarm for people in upping the thread. just hoping that someone with info would chime in. buratino, where are you?

haven't heard anything from Buratino in a while either... I should shoot him an e-mail. The man travels more than anyone else i know!

Okay, thanks to a good friend , I learned more information about Avantindietro:

The brand is divided into 4 lines: Casual, Avantindietro, Avantgarde and Tailor.

The casual line coming up (theoretically everything in a couple of months) is going to be basics. Avantgarde is supposed to be sort of "Linea evolved"; taking the concepts of Linea and bringing them to another level. Avantgarde and Tailor will have suits... Tailor is to be the showcase line for Altieri and the prices will reflect that (jacket predicted to be $10k+), with of course irritatingly/predictably small distribution. Pants and shirt predicted pricing for tailor will be around/slightly more than CCP, and the avantgarde line pricing should be on par with CCP.

No stores have seen photos of anything. Only sketches thus far.

Footwear will be similar to what we've seen but with some little tweaks. Shaved down camel leather 5 eyelet boots with different dying on the interior and exterior. Stitches are visible only on key selected spots on the shoe with the rest hidden inside.
    Last edited by Chinorlz; 11-19-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Quote Originally Posted by kompressorkev View Post
    curious about the suit and the "black woolen line." sorry to be a false alarm for people in upping the thread. just hoping that someone with info would chime in. buratino, where are you?

Oh yeah, read up a bit on black wool... shit is a bit too hyped I think. Wool from black sheep, gray sheep and various other natural colors can be had through certain fabric dealers. There's a demand for "natural colored" fibers and Altieri probably decided to give them a try. I'm sure the quality and feel is top notch, but a black sheep isn't that unusual in the end

Quote Originally Posted by AKA*NYC View Post
    eagerly waiting to see the 10k suit
    Well, one may argue that at some point, pricing becomes an art in itself.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

aaahahahaha

You know, this sort of crazy pricing got me thinking again about the whole clothing-as-art thing.

If pieces are truly made in-house by the designers team (or the designer themself) instead of outsourced to a factory, then should we balk at the asking price for something truly innovative and interesting?

One could argue that clothing as art can be worth a very very high price as it's functional versus a piece that hangs on your wall. Granted wearing equates potential wear and tear, but depending on the person, that may not matter much.

So should prices be tempered based on the idea that clothing have essentially a finite life span (leather items may last longer of course) whereas a well cared for oil painting doesn't?

These are just thoughts out loud, interested in hearing what others say.

So, in retrospect, was is really known about »the king of the ultimate designer menswear«?

Immediately I refute my own question, the naivity in wonderous romanticism and the will to dissolve it in knowledge or, worse, in rumour. My interest for Altieri develops in the force field between these poles.

Okay, year of birth is known (1966). I guess he lives in Perugia since twenty years. Was he born there? Did he live in Paris with this X12 station?

Founding circumstances of Carpe diem are known (1996). Or? Did it start as an off-shot to Chrome Hearts or was it already initially a company of own right?

Is it true that before working for Chrome Hearts, Altieri travelled across the globe for ten years (Turkey, Thailand, Spain, Mexico, long-term living in London and Los Angeles)? Is he a master in financial business and jurisprudence?

Does he have a son? Is he thus married? Did he do heroin? Was that the reason for Carpe diem breakdown?

Do you want to talk about him? Plausibly persons on this forum have been in direct contact with him and would, as friends or loyal acquaintances or business partners, regard this as slanderous gossip. Perhaps so. I'm sorry. Nihil humani a me alienum puto.

Is he hard to work with (as most geniuses)? Which other designers does he respect/work with? How does he feel about the arte povera treason of former partners/employees – and the plagiarism in a number of Japanese and other brands?

What's the deal about the obscure Russian photos published here? Is the story of changing hotel room in Tokyo true? What else do you know?

Feed the cult.

Excuse me.

Some info:

he does like the glory he gets on this website and on facebook. He is human after all.

Ive been told he did dabble in a lot of drugs.(who didnt).
    He does smoke lots of the ganja.(goes with the dreads see)
    probably likes yerba mate too ha.

Another truth is that he is a little pissed off at everyone copying him. i dont think anybody likes that really. But thats why hes moved on to bigger and better(crazier) shit.

He is said to be an extremely difficult person to work with. cos he's trippin balls half the time. But behind all the eccentrcity lies a genius that everybody worked for him acknowledges. His concepts are truly innovative and out of this world.

His customised aston martin is said to be ridiculously cool.- perhaps someone who has seen this can elaborate.

I know that he doesnt drive the aston martin but now drives some customised land rover or something that looks like an army hummer.

Thanks C'est Fini! (Hope it's not over yet!)

Is there a Facebook group for Altieri? (Don't do Facebook myself...)

I heard something about a sculpture he did in Berlin. Was it called Black Space or something like that, Empty Space? I've tried to search it out on the net but resultless.

Quote Originally Posted by C'est Fini View Post
    Another truth is that he is a little pissed off at everyone copying him. i dont think anybody likes that really. But thats why hes moved on to bigger and better(crazier) shit.

He is said to be an extremely difficult person to work with. cos he's trippin balls half the time. But behind all the eccentrcity lies a genius that everybody worked for him acknowledges. His concepts are truly innovative and out of this world.
    -i've been wondering to myself for a while now, what is the bigger and better shit? i'm probably just uninformed and don't know. but is avantindietro his only current project? because i get the impression it is neither bigger nor better. i've not handled the footwear personally, but have heard that they leave quite a bit to be desired by those that are fans of cdiem footwear. i know that there is a bit of avantindietro clothing out there somewhere but apparently precious little, (as evidenced by the lack of a thread dedicated to it on this forum, where we are literal hounds for any continues line pieces we can find.) my hope is that he is somewhere working away at it with plans to launch some seriously bad ass shit that will make us all wet our pants. i bet DHC has some answers to this...

maybe he is working on projects unrelated to fashion?

-"tripping balls" like LSD tripping balls? thats the only tripping balls i know. if so, then...damn. shit can't get done when you're on the lsd. fo sho.
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

smoking ganja is a lifelong project unrelated to fashion. or is it?!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

masugnen has a couple pair of avanti pants...maybe he should start a thread and see if he can't tease a few other forum members to post pics of what they have...

...although I'm not sure that would quite fit in designers and their work...but given the dearth of photos out there of his stuff, it just might...
    I am not who you think I am

Yes I agree with merz here, though I am quite interested in what projects he's worked on. I think that is less turning him into a celebrity and more of general interest. Understanding the details of what he's done helps put the continues line in perspective. The more I have learned about it, the more impressed I am, and the more I love what he has done, though my personal contact with it is minimal compared to many here. That isn't justification for being curious about his personal exploits, but I feel it explains the interest many here have for what he has done.
    How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

^Fucking A.