Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 1164

Thread: Carpe Diem, Lmaltieri, Linea, etc.

  1. #221

    Default

    ...........
    Last edited by pipcleo; 09-01-2010 at 01:00 AM.

  2. #222

    Default

    any further info on the suit? This is intriguing to me
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

    Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

  3. #223
    Senior Member ddohnggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nyc - ccpland
    Posts
    4,481

    Default

    i think this is it:

    Did you get and like the larger dick?

  4. #224

    Default

    ..............
    Last edited by pipcleo; 09-01-2010 at 01:05 AM.

  5. #225

    Default

    curious about the suit and the "black woolen line." sorry to be a false alarm for people in upping the thread. just hoping that someone with info would chime in. buratino, where are you?

  6. #226

    Default

    haven't heard anything from Buratino in a while either... I should shoot him an e-mail. The man travels more than anyone else i know!

    Okay, thanks to a good friend , I learned more information about Avantindietro:

    The brand is divided into 4 lines: Casual, Avantindietro, Avantgarde and Tailor.

    The casual line coming up (theoretically everything in a couple of months) is going to be basics. Avantgarde is supposed to be sort of "Linea evolved"; taking the concepts of Linea and bringing them to another level. Avantgarde and Tailor will have suits... Tailor is to be the showcase line for Altieri and the prices will reflect that (jacket predicted to be $10k+), with of course irritatingly/predictably small distribution. Pants and shirt predicted pricing for tailor will be around/slightly more than CCP, and the avantgarde line pricing should be on par with CCP.

    No stores have seen photos of anything. Only sketches thus far.

    Footwear will be similar to what we've seen but with some little tweaks. Shaved down camel leather 5 eyelet boots with different dying on the interior and exterior. Stitches are visible only on key selected spots on the shoe with the rest hidden inside.
    Last edited by Chinorlz; 11-19-2008 at 05:04 PM.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

    Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

  7. #227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kompressorkev View Post
    curious about the suit and the "black woolen line." sorry to be a false alarm for people in upping the thread. just hoping that someone with info would chime in. buratino, where are you?

    Oh yeah, read up a bit on black wool... shit is a bit too hyped I think. Wool from black sheep, gray sheep and various other natural colors can be had through certain fabric dealers. There's a demand for "natural colored" fibers and Altieri probably decided to give them a try. I'm sure the quality and feel is top notch, but a black sheep isn't that unusual in the end
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

    Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

  8. #228
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKA*NYC View Post
    eagerly waiting to see the 10k suit
    Well, one may argue that at some point, pricing becomes an art in itself.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  9. #229

    Default

    aaahahahaha

    You know, this sort of crazy pricing got me thinking again about the whole clothing-as-art thing.

    If pieces are truly made in-house by the designers team (or the designer themself) instead of outsourced to a factory, then should we balk at the asking price for something truly innovative and interesting?

    One could argue that clothing as art can be worth a very very high price as it's functional versus a piece that hangs on your wall. Granted wearing equates potential wear and tear, but depending on the person, that may not matter much.

    So should prices be tempered based on the idea that clothing have essentially a finite life span (leather items may last longer of course) whereas a well cared for oil painting doesn't?

    These are just thoughts out loud, interested in hearing what others say.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

    Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

  10. #230

    Default

    Hmm, good post Albert. I discuss all of my clothing purchases with my girlfriend, but I don't dare tell her what I'm paying for them. I just don't know where that conversation will lead, so I don't bother. I will however tell her what I pay for a piece of art regardless of price. I just lump her into the masses that I believe just won't understand throwing down a couple g's on something I'll wear and tear as opposed to something that will in all likelihood last a lifetime. It's 'art' after all.

    It's the same as anything. You become accustomed to the higher prices. No matter what it is. I remember when I bought my first pair of $200 jeans. I got home and wondered wtf was I doing. They charge more. We buy it. They charge even more. We still buy it. It's just the way it is.

  11. #231

    Default

    I think this might be why people here gradually move towards higher quality, more "sophisticated" stuff: If you're going to pay a ton for a coat, might as well get one that is high quality enough to last a long time, and not pass with some fad.

  12. #232
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raw Edge View Post
    I think this might be why people here gradually move towards higher quality, more "sophisticated" stuff: If you're going to pay a ton for a coat, might as well get one that is high quality enough to last a long time, and not pass with some fad.
    Oh, how I wish that would be the case.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  13. #233

    Default

    faust you are lamenting a lot these days....
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

  14. #234

    Default

    Iam not as articulate as most of you in penning my thoughts but here goes...

    Clothing has a basic function that can simply never be overlooked. So, as much as fashion is an art form and is a complex creative expression by the designer and the person wearing the design, It still means nothing if it cannot be worn.

    The purpose of art is Art itself…. the Expression and the sending of ideas.

    A certain piece of clothing for example could be part of an artwork or even be the entire artwork but then it ceases being clothing and becomes the art .

    This I think makes all the difference between clothing & Art…the purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chinorlz View Post
    aaahahahaha

    You know, this sort of crazy pricing got me thinking again about the whole clothing-as-art thing.

    If pieces are truly made in-house by the designers team (or the designer themself) instead of outsourced to a factory, then should we balk at the asking price for something truly innovative and interesting?

    One could argue that clothing as art can be worth a very very high price as it's functional versus a piece that hangs on your wall. Granted wearing equates potential wear and tear, but depending on the person, that may not matter much.

    So should prices be tempered based on the idea that clothing have essentially a finite life span (leather items may last longer of course) whereas a well cared for oil painting doesn't?

    These are just thoughts out loud, interested in hearing what others say.

  15. #235

    Default

    altieri strikes me as a sort of conceptual artist like sol lewitt. which is to say the essence of what he does is easier apprehended when spelled out on paper (in articles about buried leather, etc.) than when experienced in actuality with the eyes of a relative neophyte to the aesthetic such as myself. much of avantindietro looks uninspired and half-finished on the surface but there is apparently a rigorous inner structure (analogous to strict rules of the dogme movement in film or something) that is singular among the carpe offshoots. not sure how to tie this observation into the idea of commerce...

  16. #236

    Default linea

    Well said AKA.

    I have a similar type of reaction to some of the raw/seems showing/multifabric linea shirts. I like them, i like the rawness, but really for 500+ you are buying a shirt that mainly induces the reaction, "oh, is your shirt coming apart?"

  17. #237

    Default

    Clothing generally serves the basic purpose of covering your body. Art generally serves the purpose of covering your wall. Yeah, the general purpose of clothing is much more universal, but I think clothing can exist which doesn't really belong in that category any more than a conceptual piece falls in with Thomas Kincaid.

    That being said, I really don't see the stuff I've laid eyes on from Carpe/continues/whatever as falling in that category. It's been artisan takes on basic clothing. When you look at some of the haute couture of the 50s (just an example, but I have a friend with a collection of 1950s haute dresses), you see clothing that is truly art. Some of the dresses I've seen from that period have their own shape, give no nods whatsoever to wearability (one that my friend owns has 4-5 layers, takes about 20 minutes to put on with an assistant, and looks entirely otherworldly when worn), and make amazing art on their own.

    The Carpe Diem items I've seen (only a few) are in the shape of a basic blazer/coat/jacket/boots/pants, but systematically distressed or made from cool fabrics, or with a neat detail. They're inspired artisanal products, but I really don't see them as art.

    This has been a drunken ramble brought to you by the Las Vegas airport.

    Quote Originally Posted by swami View Post
    I am not as articulate as most of you in penning my thoughts but here goes...

    Clothing has a basic function that can simply never be overlooked. So, as much as fashion is an art form and is a complex creative expression by the designer and the person wearing the design, It still means nothing if it cannot be worn.

    The purpose of art is Art itself…. the Expression and the sending of ideas.

    A certain piece of clothing for example could be part of an artwork or even be the entire artwork but then it ceases being clothing and becomes the art .

    This I think makes all the difference between clothing & Art…the purpose.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

  18. #238

    Default

    holy shit that is wild. just having this exact argument with my girlfriend at dinner tonight, as she was saying pottery is not art because it is too functional. I don't see why functional creations can't be art as well.

  19. #239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philip nod View Post
    time to learn how to see

    linea 2002/3? photos by Anna Blessman
    I'm missing something. I see beautifully laid out, excellently photographed pictures of distressed long coats, tight leather pants, and some boots. It seems to me like just what I was describing.

    What makes this art instead of a very nice craft? I'm not trying to malign Carpe Diem, I think the stuff is beautiful, but it seems traditional or very close in shape and much more functional than the earlier haute couture I've seen as pure art.

    If the answer is "you can't see," fine, but I'd rather at least understand what you're seeing, even if I disagree.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

  20. #240

    Default

    is art ever called fashion?
    then why should fashion be called art.
    fashion has many levels of expression and depth, fashion doesn't need the insecurity of trying to be art. fashion is fashion, art is art. There is not one better then the other.

    now for more serious stuff... why aren't we getting any news on avantindietro???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •