• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by swami View Post
    Iam not as articulate as most of you in penning my thoughts but here goes...

Clothing has a basic function that can simply never be overlocked.
    Fixed your typo.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Fixed your typo.
      un published never seen before linea photos removed never too be posted again, again, this forum can be extremely depressing at times

i don't have the time to try and explain art to you.
      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• DHC
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
        un published never seen before linea photos removed never too be posted again, again, this forum can be extremely depressing at times

FUCK!! I was just thinking I should save those. Came to do so, now gone.
        Originally posted by Faust
        fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I was coming to write an intelligent response on top of the funny response, and you have to go and ruin it. Why are you so lame?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

the art comment was not directed your way
            it was the lack of enthusiasm and inability to enrich the lives of
            that makes me lame

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

that makes me lame
              It was directed at me, just so no one else thinks he was insulting them.
              EDIT: Removed comment, not an argument I want to have.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

that makes me lame
                Ah, well, you quoted me so I got confused. Mea culpa.
                So, it looks like the whole thing comes down to definition of art. I happen to be on the side of craft = art, utility be damned. This is an Eastern definition of art, as opposed to the Western one we are more used to. I would like to (again) offer a few quotes by Robert Pirsig which I agree with.

"Technology [and by extension anything that has to do with craft] is simply the making of things and the making of things can't by its own nature be ugly or there would be no possibility for beauty in the arts, which also include the making of things. Actually a root word of technology, techne, originally meant "art." The ancient Greeks never separated art from manufacture in their minds, and so never developed separate words for them."

"To say that they [the craftsmen] are not artists is to misunderstand the nature of art. They have patience, care and attentiveness to what they are doing, but more than this - there's a kind of inner piece of mind that isn't contrived but results from a kind of harmony with the work in which there is no leader and no follower. the material and the craftsman's thoughts change together in a progression of smooth, even changes until his mind is at rest at the exact instant the material is right."

I am not asking others to agree with this definition, I just think it's a valid one and then one I see, or rather experience.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

the guy basically created SZ and this movement and everything we're talking about. i consider that impact art.
                  i'm not really sure what there is to argue about.
                  you're a very analytical person, and i appreciate that immensely in your diatribes about politics and the economy. however, i find you use that same side of the brain while discussing fashion and art. for one thing, and i do not hold this against you, you are discussing these things from an outsider perspective, ie you dont actually wear the clothes because as you told us many times you are really broke. thats totally cool. and that shouldn't stop you from having an opinion. i'll i'm asking is that you try and understand that the mood and expression and 20 mins of putting on 50's haute couture-- which you find to be art from another era, that that can exist in this era under a different set of lights, and a different set of pomp and circumstance.

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

Fair enough. I'm definitely a spectator, not a participant, and that certainly changes my impression. I'll try and re-examine things, and so forth, but it may be that I'm too analytical (no argument whatsoever), and that as a pure spectator I can't really "get" the artness (not a word, sorry) of the carpe stuff. (I am completely aware that I'm trying to re-analyze the things you've pointed out I'm looking at too analytically, but . . . well, it's how I work)

On a slightly unrelated note, I've been trying to shut down the rambles about being broke, as they contribute nothing and clutter the forums. Hopefully you'll not see that anymore.
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• philip nod
                      • Aug 2007

the forum is a good place to dump and rant as i love to do, so i really don't hold the broke comments against you, but i'm happy you're policing them.
                      ownership is a tricky subject w art. and just as tricky with fashion.
                      ownership tends to lead to feelings which are very hard to put into words. and good feelings tend to lead to desire which means more ownership...so once you get into that loop the details which you see as details from the outside devoid of emotion, become this wonderful example of artistic expression for the wearer.
                      so basically you just need to find some carpe for nothing and wear it, and you'll find your in the middle of a unique experience. and linea is that, NEXT LEVEL.

oh, also look up arte povera, Michaelanglo Pistoletto in part. maurizio started making clothes 20 years after the peak, so his ideals were drawn from this art spring.
                      Last edited by philip nod; 11-26-2008, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• surver
                        • Oct 2007

all these c diem off-shoots sharing the same lineage are getting confusing... can someone please clarify and give a big picture/list? and where each is based? what i can gather so far are:

avantindietro maurizio altieri

m.a+ maurizio amadei

label under construction luca laurini

FQR (the least c diem-esque; more 'french connection/h&m ie mass market than c diem)

SL sara lanzi

lumen et umbra issei fujita

individual sentiments hiroko itoo

augusta simone cechetto

wjk jun hashimoto (not sure if this is legitimate anymore since jun's left wjk)

Comment

• DHC
                          • Jul 2007

Getting buried..so back to the top with news.
                          Grand PooBah Maurizio Altieri will be re-issuing 5 or 6 pair of classic Carpe Diem pieces of footwear. That's love my friends.

Sartorialoft

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by DHC View Post
                            Grand PooBah Maurizio Altieri will be re-issuing 5 or 6 pair of classic Carpe Diem pieces of footwear. That's love my friends.
                            Re-issuing things from the past because they're in high demand. It's good market sense. But, if it's love, I'd say it's this kind:
                            [EDIT:Giant snarky pic was too big]

I should add: I'm all for this.
                            Last edited by theetruscan; 02-21-2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by DHC View Post
                              Here's to hoping one of those is the linen over leather....
                              "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• DHC
                                • Jul 2007

haha...actually, its being reissued for reasons beyond money. Though I'm sure its a factor somewhere in the equation.

Edit: Have to quote Tupac cuz its echoing in the noggin. "For the love of money, fuck the fame, he be game." heehee. Nothing but love for the move though.

And no linen over leather. He's reissuing the oldest of the stable designs.

Sartorialoft

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎