• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Carpe Diem, Lmaltieri, Linea, etc.

[quote user="desultory"]Sorry, The Breaks, I was trying to talk about some people who approach fashion with passion, who actually do struggle quite a bit to create what they do - perhaps they might never achieve timelessness or 'the ultimate' but they bloody-well give it a go, and they do it with dignity. And they do it in the hope that there are some people out there who appreciate their message, and I happen to be one of those 'assholes'. There is, I believe, quite a difference between these designers and the designers that are hired to reinvigorate the corporte fortunes of a flagging, traditional fashion house of yesteryear. Sorry to touch on your nerve again, but Dior/Lanvin etc are just tomorrow's mince - these pages and your comments in the months and years to come will be the testament to it.[/quote]

Desultory, you come to a new board, read a post in a thread consisting of a thousand posts, and make an accusation while actually being inline with the sentiments of most people on this board. This makes you look silly (or dumb, as you say yourself). You are welcome here, but take the time to familiarize yourself with what people are saying, before making such grandiose statements as above. Cheers.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
      • Sep 2006

Desultory is funny, quite entertaining, and I agree that it would be good to see more of his posts. But I fear that, as well as possibly having run out of things to say, he may be gone. (What's that pfffffffffffffffffgh? Could it be the sound of someone disappearing up their own arsehole?) Some of theSZrscommitted the cardinal sin of critisizingone or other of poell/altieri/amadei, which has had the rather inconvenient effect of both breaking up the diatribe and hurting his feelings.

Comment

• ddohnggo
        • Oct 2006

i would find it hilarious if desultory actually was altieri taking offense to criticism.
        Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="desultory"]Oh, absolutely they may suffer loss of revenue and interest, especially in such a fickle world, the one we've jst been shown here on SZ, and I'm sure it hurts them. But both Poell and Amadei work to their own timeline, not the industry's or your/our expectations, and they would rather absorb some hurt before they marched out some seasonal crap for the sake of it.[/quote]

I actually didn't even catch you calling my statement "dumb" in regards to me calling what we've seen on here of avantindietro/intervallo much to be desired.

When you're in the fashion business, or in any sort of public-forum based business you are open to criticism... to be expected and absolutely to be expected from your followers. Carol, Amadei, Altieri, Luarini et. al. all have their hits and their misses. "Uncritical fawning" as I believe Johnny said in another thread is most likely NOT what these designers want. After all, what would be the point then?

I love the Carpe aesthetic, the Carol aesthetic and just about all the other continues designers. No doubt about it. But at the same time, when you create a boot that has essentially no heel and a leather wrapping around the remnant of the heel which thus forces you to step all over the leather and thus destroy it... that's not logical to me. Fun to look at the photos, interesting to think about but absolutely impractical. I love the look of the new Carol boots with the Bull leather sole but its nothing more than an art piece. You wear it once, you destroy it. If you put a layer of rubber on it, you destroy it. Ok, you can say "but it was meant to be destroyed"... but no. That's ridiculous. I (and no one else with any logical mind) would shell out $2000 to wear something that was "meant to be destroyed."

I give these designers great creative leeway. I admit it. I like 95% of what Carol put out, and just about everything that came from LMaltieri/CDiem but can you honestly say that this:

is a work of genius? Nope. It's pure shit.

Compared to the general population, the people on this forum are less than fickle when it comes to the brands we're talking about on here.

I appreciate that they work on their own timeline, adhere to their own ideals/ideologies/concepts. Shit, it's one of the reasons I/we love these guys. You get quality work, season after season.

I just don't believe it's 100% right to put them up on this infallible,godlike pedastal. In the end, they're still just designers... albeit with a more novel and personally more appealing approach to clothing.

(I still love your push-pull/fuck you statement about Carol boots. After breaking a few pairs in, I know exactly what you mean!)

Keep on posting Desultory, it's really great to have a new prolific poster on the forum.

Tschüß!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

CD sizes?

Guys, I'm drooling over this pair of CD pants on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARPE-DIEM-BLACK-PANTS-POELL-CLOAK-CCP-LMALTIERI_W0QQitemZ200175796225QQihZ010QQcategoryZ 313QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

They're listed as a size 5 with a 34 inch waist. I'm a 32. I'm curious if any of you own a similar pair and confirm whether the measurements are right. Or do they run on the smaller end as I hope...

Thanks!
            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Re: CD sizes?

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]
              They're listed as a size 5 with a 34 inch waist. I'm a 32. I'm curious if any of you own a similar pair and confirm whether the measurements are right. Or do they run on the smaller end as I hope...

[/quote]

Those measurements are probably correct; you'll want a CD/LM size 4 for a 32 inch waist. And they're not adjustable (no belt loops), so it would be tough to wear a larger size.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                • Nov 2007

Re: CD sizes?

Thanks guys. I'll hold off based on your good advice. Where would I be without SZ?
                LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• kompressorkev
                  • Dec 2006

Re: CD sizes?

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]Guys, I'm drooling over this pair of CD pants on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARPE-DIEM-BLACK...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!
                  [/quote]

the pants in my experience run a lot bigger than the shirts or jackets. i fit a 4 in the shirts/jackets, a 5 in some of the unisex depending on the season. i'm a usual 48/50, and 32" waist...but even a size 4 in the pants was really big on me. i triedl ike 4 pairs of pants from different seasons, and they were all pretty big on me. i'd be very cautious about getting them, they seem really big.

Comment

• FAUSTA
                    • Nov 2007

you're right...I am one of his best friends since years and I can tell you're right he normally gets what he wants to get and he doesn't care how long it takes,he is totally free and disconnected from the fucking fashion system.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                      • Dec 2006

Re: Avantindietro

not sure if these pics have been posted yet:

Avantindietro

some small previews from a japanese shop to receive theirshipmentthis Saturday. they claim Lift Etage is getting it very soon as well.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

It's a new brand by Maurizio Altieri, replacing / following up on carpe diem to some extent atleast. Theresbeen some confusionabout the brand name, Avantindietro is a name some stores have been using but I dont know if anyone knows for sure untill they have the garments in their hands. Theres very little info about the line, but supposedly it'll be a bit wider and carry elements of both carpe as well as linea and l'maltieri, and also some "futuristic" concepts. some stores have mentioned getting it soon but so far theres very little pictures or info.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Wow. Looks like a more than blatant CCP ripoff from Augusta for the spring:

The first two boots are straight up CCP copies of the wraparounds (come on... the plastic lamination technique on the inside?! too obvious) and the diagonal zip boots in even the CCP silhouette.

The last photo has the womens collection from Augusta for the spring....

Looks like high end copies....

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• ddohnggo
                            • Oct 2006

yup. i think i may have mentioned this before in another thread, but when i saw the augusta looks at A, i asked if it was ccp.

if they were cheaper than ccp boots, i wouldn't mind picking them up!

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

the laceups and side zips Simone has produced these last two seasons have been okay... the leather treatment made them pretty Augusta distinct, but these two boots take the cake. Especially (Especially!) the faux wraparounds. That's just TOO similar. Especially with that plastic leather coating treatment inside.

Comment

• DHC
                                • Jul 2007

The first two boots are straight up CCP copies of the wraparounds (come
                                on... the plastic lamination technique on the inside?! too obvious) and
                                the diagonal zip boots in even the CCP silhouette.

-Albert

TOTALLY! You nailed it square on the head brother.

I mean come on.

Originally posted by Faust
                                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎