X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

^^ so not recommended when comparing to others?
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

iI guess its up to personal preference. but with just the original strap, its not very practical, at least for me its a bit too short to carry around the shoulder, so its basically just a handle. but with the added shoulder strap its more convenient.
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• sshum88
        • Dec 2007

I've gone through the pain of finding a practical every day bag that I can use for work and traveling. I've been using a MA+ 'doctor's bag' with the metal frame opening. The version I have - you can't throw it over your shoulder but there is another version with longer handles.

I would suggest you stay away from the older model MA+ accordion bags as the straps are too thin plus they are not secured in such a way to allow one to carry much weight in the bag. The newer straps and fastening system are much better.

PM me if you want a few local sources.

Originally posted by Dane View Post
        Which? Will use as an everyday bag.
        I'm leaning toward the practical...otherwise I'll never use it.
        I had written Guidi off for bags until I saw the one I posted. It's not gigantic and not oddly shaped, so it suits me fine. I also like that it can be worn over the shoulder or in hand. I do worry about the bleeding tho...that could be annoying. also, the only source I can find for this bag is Lazarri...so that means dealing with FedEx and duty.

SZ-loved brands need to get working on this! I don't want to end up carrying some Balenciaga thing. ;)
        Originally posted by eat me
        If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Like lowrey, the Guidi foldover bag is my choice. It IS heavy though, but all leather bags are.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
            • Jan 2010

I've been getting a lot of use out of the Demeulemeester "Sabre" bag. It's a lot more practical than I expected it to be. It won't replace the bag that was stolen but it's still great.

I got the suede version which I believe has been hammered to give it an interesting texture.
            THE HOUSE OF DIS
            embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Urthwhyte
              • Oct 2011

Anyone handled this season's MMM totes? Would the smaller version be large enough to be used as an everyday bag for a 15" laptop in a sleeve, iPad, and a few pens and pencils with a notepad?

Comment

• morsto
                • Nov 2008

What do you academics use instead of a backpack for school/research?
                I need something, preferably in black leather, which holds a laptop, a bunch of articles, some paper and the works and I think for practicality it needs shoulder strap.
                Have been trying for the big _7 gas mask bag for some time but it pops up on y! too rare and I need a bag soon~. Suggestions would be appreciated!
                I do not recognise the vessel,
                but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by morsto View Post
                  What do you academics use instead of a backpack for school/research?
                  I need something, preferably in black leather, which holds a laptop, a bunch of articles, some paper and the works and I think for practicality it needs shoulder strap.
                  Have been trying for the big _7 gas mask bag for some time but it pops up on y! too rare and I need a bag soon~. Suggestions would be appreciated!
                  Budget?
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• morsto
                    • Nov 2008

under $1500 preferably
                    I do not recognise the vessel,
                    but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

Honestly, nothing you see floating around sz will be as practical as a backpack or computer bag. If I were you, I'd get something practical/ugly/cheap until you find the bag you really like and suits all of your needs perfectly. No point into rushing into buying something for that much money that isn't perfect.

Comment

• munch
                        • Aug 2008

hmm... my bag is starting to fall apart. I really need a new one. think I want a canvas bag with leather details / strap.
                        any recommendations? on a pretty tight budget though so nothing too much.

black/dark brown/dark green would work - in that order please

thanks!

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Check out Jas MB student line.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• munch
                            • Aug 2008

yeah. really like that one. hmm, do have one issue... it needs to fit a 15" macbook pro. the measurements I've been able to find indicate that the laptop is a bit wide for the jas MB :( sorry for not mentioning that first

Comment

• Patroklus
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2011

I've gotten really practical and durable bags from army surplus or army antique stores. a lot of them are closer to camping than school or town bags, with stiff frames and such, but you generally have a few options for unstructured bags with a couple of pockets.

Just be careful to avoid reproductions, which a lot of surplus stores carry. they fade quickly and seem to be sewn by epileptics

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Acid, Bitter and Sad View Post
                                Has anyone handled this before?
                                Thoughts? Is the leather very thin? ...too thin perhaps?

Thanks.
                                ABS - is that bag in raw silk? If so, it will not only be light, but strong. I have also found from experience that the style of handle is super comfortable. But - fyi, thin leather can also be super strong. Case in point:

I would not usually think to suggest this bag here but having a good work bag is so important to making my life bearable, particularly since I have a scoliosis-ridden back. This back has to schlep (very often hard-bound library) books, reams and reams of journal articles *and* a laptop daily. I made a life-changing move from the 15" Macbook Pro to a 13" Mac Air this past year, but before that I was using the 15" with this bag, along with the other shit that turns me into a (hopefully fashionable ) Sherpa daily.

Yes, it's a Marni bag from one of the men's collections - 2009, I think. It is unlined and made of washed lamb with a matte finish. It feels like paper and has a dry hand.

Most important about this bag? It weighs 6 ounces with its detachable accessory pouch and could carry enough clothing for a week, or fit my 15" Macbook and several hard bound books. No joke. The leather is thin enough that I can crumple the bag up and ball it into my hand.

For me, the things I look for in a bag are 1) weight 2) durability 3) minimal details and hardware and, naturally, 4) quality of make and finishing details. I don't like too many pockets, for example, because I can never remember what pocket I've put something in.

You can actually decrease the weight of the bag even more (!) by removing the accessories pouch. All my loose pens, keys, phone and wallet went into the pouch, so there was no more digging around. The matte finish of the leather made it so that minor scratches just added to the "character" of the bag, I could hand wash the bag with saddle soap but rarely needed to since I conditioned and waterproofed it.

I bought a backup, which is fine because it was on sale. Why do I speak of my bag in the past tense? As soon as I started carrying the bag, people started to ask about it, and I got no fewer that two dozen special requests to help find that make/material bag for various people. Anyhow, it didn't take much to get talked into selling the backup to someone I like -- someone who's been picking things up from me for years. Finally, this past Christmas, I wrapped my own bag in its sleeper and gave it to someone else who has been obsessing about the bag for the last, say, year-and-a-half. (This was after an exhaustive search on three continents for a decent replacement for me, to no avail...) So I am currently sans work bag.

Other than that, I use a lot of canvas totes as well as my trusty CDG airline bag (idea - I have a lot of detachable leather and canvas straps from my various bags that I move from bag to bag. If you find a bag with a strong adjustable strap, the strap is definitely handy to have around.)

My CDG:

I had this M.A+ accordian bag with adjustable top made for me, and it's waiting to be sent to me. I am planning to have the embryo bag made, too, since I've had a chance to use it and love it:

I'd bought this Guidi weekender, which was gorgeous (reverse cordovan) but once I loaded it up with my work things, it was so heavy I couldn't lift it. Sadly, I had to sell it:

If anyone has a lead on where to find men's Marni bags, let me know. I'm looking forward to checking out men's work bags in Japan since they definitely open to men+fey tote bags. Last I remember, the selection in Isetan was dreamy...

It will probably take a while, but I'll figure out a solution. Am curious to know how everyone else gets by.

MBD
                                "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                                It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                                My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎