Clear All
  • Acid, Bitter and Sad
    • Mar 2007

ma+ tote

MBD....it's thin leather...

Comment

• thehouseofdis
      • Jan 2010

I posted this in the women's section because it's in women's on Yoox. I'm not sure if this has been posted but it's on sale. I'm pretty sure they meant Guidi.
      THE HOUSE OF DIS
      embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• t-bone
        • Dec 2009

Thats been up for a while but check out the size...

Comment

• thehouseofdis
          • Jan 2010

Yeah, it looks small but it's still nice. I never look at anything besides Ann on Yoox but I saw the name Guid when looking for something for a friend and thought it might have been overlooked.

If I was to buy some non Ann pieces they would be Guidi shoes, boots and bags paired with PH jackets.
          THE HOUSE OF DIS
          embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• t-bone
            • Dec 2009

It's a slippery slope!

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

Thoughts on new RO tote?

i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• hommedeguerre
                • Jun 2009

I owned that RO tote for a spell. It's just nothing special. I was never comfortable with the idea of an open top bag, as, and I know this is paranoia, anyone can reach in and steal your stuff. Also, when it's raining, water can get in a bit easier. I ended up selling mine. I've never loved Rick bags, as they always seem to be a compromise for me, at least.
                Le 21ème

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Thanks. I ordered it before you responded...we'll see how it works out (Luis via Roma takes returns, yes?)

Anyway, I prefer totes...didn't really consider the open-factor, but we'll see how that goes. I wanted something practical, but plain, and I keep reading about how Guidi bags bleed like hell (my other choice).

ps - living in NYC, I'd probably be a bit more paranoid about someone reaching into my bag...but I live in Canada. ;)
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Castor
                    • Nov 2009

Second that Rick bags seem like an afterthought. They could be so much more, but I guess Rick is just not into bags.
                    Originally posted by DRRRK
                    The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

What would you suggest?

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

re: totes

what about ib&b?

i don't know this brand, but i saw a few totes/shoulder bags at barneys. it's not the best leather, but it doesn't cost a shit load either. just a basic bag to toss around..

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                          re: totes

what about ib&b?

i don't know this brand, but i saw a few totes/shoulder bags at barneys. it's not the best leather, but it doesn't cost a shit load either. just a basic bag to toss around..
                          Not bad...not beautiful by any means, but not bad.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                            • Oct 2010

Dane,

The bag is only merely ok. I like the idea of the buffalo for a shopper tote that size (11"ish x 15") because the tough leather means that you can bang it around a little. On a bigger, full tote, the buffalo might make the bag too heavy.

I like straps long enough so that the bag can be slung on the shoulder but these are a touch too long practically and aesthetically. If you're gym rat, a la Mr. Owens and have some serious "guns" like RO, you'd need those long straps to fit your arm through.

Speaking as a not-super-tall person, a handle drop of whatever - say, 13" - plus the 15" length of the bag, plus the length of my arm would mean that I'd be (near-to?) dragging the 1k bag on the ground were I actually to "tote" it. I'd want the choice of carrying both as a tote or off my shoulder.

More broadly, the way the strap is sewn onto the bag doesn't appeal to me. (That said, the bag I'm suggesting below would not be a good fit for everyone, but it has a personality while being practical. Why that's such a tough combo to find, I'm not sure.)

I much prefer this embossed leather tote from CDG (that will also cost you $650 less):

I think this shopper/tote comes in two sizes and other patterns - this is the larger one. The medium is closer in size to the RO one you bought. (Just checked and you can order it from the Saks site.) There are also tons of cool CDG bags - in leather - on the Japanese sites that never see the light of day here. You can search via Sharp Service.

Let us know how the RO tote works when you get it!

MBD
                            Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 01-11-2012, 08:02 PM. Reason: clarification
                            "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                            It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                            My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

I always love your practical approach! I have a feeling we have similar ways of thinking, because I considered many of your points. I'm 6'1, so the overly long handles make the bag reach around the ankle mark. I'm def not a gym bunny, but I wanted to be able to fit the bag over my shoulder when wearing a winter coat.

As for the weight of the leather, I would have preferred something lighter, so that's a bit of a trade off. I kind of like the way the handles are attached...and I love the zipper running down the side...somehow it makes the bag a bit more butch.

I had no idea CDG made that bag...Can't say I love the pattern, but I'm off to explore what else they have to offer. Thanks for the tip!

ps - I've been looking for your Marni bag with no success...I really love it! Would be a great summer bag.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post

I had no idea CDG made that bag...Can't say I love the pattern, but I'm off to explore what else they have to offer. Thanks for the tip!

ps - I've been looking for your Marni bag with no success...I really love it! Would be a great summer bag.
                                Giving the bag away without knowing where to source a suitable replacement was a hail-mary gesture on my part. Anyway, I've learned that if you're going to give away something you're attached to, you should always give it to someone close (and/or is close-by.) In that situation, at least, you would have something like "visitation" in that you may still have the chance to see it once in a while.

I just knew that you'd like this CDG tote shape (again, it's not for everyone.) I hold the same reservations about covering a tote in that pattern - I am reminded of an older Gucci logo - but CDG offers other patterns including one that is reminiscent of Japanese geometry puzzles, called Sangaku, that were once found on tablet offerings in Shinto shrines.

The side zip compartment of the RO bag is a great feature for keys and wallets, but a $650 feature? Nah...

Show us what you end up choosing, CDG or not!

MBD
                                "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                                It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                                My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎