X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xcoldricex
    • Sep 2006

Re: Yes or No?

haha i just got the same raf sweater in the mail as casem83 today, along with a bunch of other stuff.

yes, it does smell of an old tent- i have no idea what that's from. i sized up to a 50 (normally a 48) and it fits perfectly. it is itchy like casem83 said, but i could getaway with just wearing a t-shirt and be comfortable - its bothersome for the first minute. the mushroom effect happens a little- i think this can be easily remedied by cutting the side seams (on rib portion) on each side of the waist. that said i think i'm leaning on the side of keeping it as its flattering, the colors are great and it wasn't too expensive after the discount, 15% coupon and 6% from ebates.

i got another raf knit which is amazing. the wool is much softer and is not scratchy at all. it is also sans tent smell :) this one's a keeper. reminds me of powerball or whatever that old 80s future sports film was.

ok. so i just wanted to try this jacket on to get more familiar with rick. i was wondering how rick owens jackets are meant to be worn regarding the long sleeves? i think it looks rather ridiculous when you can't see your hands at all - and you can't bunch it up because the end is slightly flared so if you pull up the sleeve it will just fall back down. since the buttons actually work you can flip up the sleeves a bit which exposes the lining making it more "functional". i don't think rick is owned by many on this board unless i'm wrong... but anyone have any insight on this?

Comment

• minomni
      • Oct 2006

i saw this jacket and was somewhat interested as well. however, i have the same issues: from my limited experience with ro - the length of blazers have just been ridiculously long. i'm 6 feet with a long torso and long wingspan, yet his blazers still manage to engulf my body vertically. while you can adapt and be somewhat creative with shortening of the sleeves, i feel like altering the proportions of the sleeves to the overall length compromises the look/feel of the garment, jackets especially.

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

There are three possibilities, aside from having them shortened, when dealing with over-long sleeves like those:

1. The material will bunch up over time, effectively shortening the sleeves and creating creases similar to what you would get on jeans. This depends heavily on the material and I haven’t experimented with it enough to tell you what to look for. I had this happen to some coats and must say I find it visually interesting.
        2. The material doesn’t bunch up over time but the way the sleeves are cut still make it gather and that shortens the sleeve every time. No permanent creases but still a functional coat with some insta-bunching (you often get that on some rough leather coats that would take years to develop the aforementioned creases).
        3. The way the sleeves are cut doesn’t allow for creasing and you’re stuck with a coat that looks like it belongs to your (very) big brother. I just put up the other two possibilities to give you some hope but let’s face it; it’s almost always #3, which is why I don’t own any Rick Owens. [:P]
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Everything bunchable should be bunched with Rick Owens, that's why usually the sleeves are skinny. That's how I wear my leather jacket and it looks awesome. I guess it's not working for that particular piece. What if you put gloves on, do they hold the sleeve in place? Gloves are my favorite item for supporting long sleeves.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

if the sleeves seem to drop down too easily they could always be tapered a bit, that way they would bunch up nicely. or shortened if you're not going for that effect. that is, of course, if the body of the jacket isn't too long.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• xcoldricex
              • Sep 2006

i think tailoring it a bit shorter would be costly if you wanted to preserve the working buttons- and shortening the sleeves too much makes the jacket not signature rick. since its not a coat, most of the time you'd probably be wearing it without gloves, while it works- it doesn't help in this situation. the fabric doesn't seem stiff enough to develop the hardened creases fuuma mentioned so that's out. i think rick should have put in elastic cuffs on the inside of the sleeves to keep them in place- allowing the sleeve to bunch up without having the sleeve cover your entire hand (which i don't think is the point either- but i haven't really looked at rick runway presentations in awhile), this would allow the sleeve to hit exactly where he wants it to hit and there wouldn't be any of this guesswork. another problem with this coat is that it only looks good when buttoned up. the way it is cut (narrow in the shoulders, wider at the bottom) causes it to flare out when unbuttoned - not flattering.

i'll post pictures of the fit to better illustrate what i'm talking about.

also what's the consesus on n.d.c.'s quality? i've heard both good and bad.

leather/suede/shearling

Comment

• een
                • Sep 2006

in general, i think the r.o. sleevelength is palm to fingertip length, sometimes longer, especially on t's - fine by me, but i know many on the board are irked by this look. i occasionally bunch, but usually let it go...

i've always found n.d.c.'s to be goodish quality, sort of like collection privee?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I think NDC is excellent quality - don't let those guys on styleforum dissuade you. I love these boots. Are they from Yoox? I'm interested!
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• khiev
                    • Nov 2006

I've a 5K budget, but I cant bloody make up my mind on whether I should get a carpe diem leather jacket or a cpp one. I've even contemplated on spending it on a couple of nice bespoke 45rpm, some nice shoes (john lobb, carpe diem, carol), and perhaps a carpe diem leather shirt? Any suggestions?

Comment

• minomni
                      • Oct 2006

that's a good problem to have. i'm sure you can be persuaded into an interesting combination of ccp/cdiem pieces at atelier.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="minomni"]that's a good problem to have. i'm sure you can be persuaded into an interesting combination of ccp/cdiem pieces at atelier.
                        [/quote]

no shit, that's what I would do :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                          • Oct 2006

I'm under the impression that the quality isn't great (leather looks a little plasticky. Their full grain pieces on boots are terrible), but I'll probably be able to set aside about $200 from the upcoming holiday season and I was thinking for $150 I would pick myself up a pair of Hare Boots and a Hare bag. (Excuse the big pictures, pulled off of Zozo)

The Boots

The Bag

I personally think they work fairly well together, so it's a pretty decent way to freshen up several outfits I already have without considerable expenditure. While I'd certainly like some nicer leather pieces, frankly, I don't think anyone I know would be able to tell the difference anyway, and since I'm always low on money / willing to settle, the use / quality of piece vs. price on both of these is making me seriously consider having 2000db look into it for me.

(Also, here are the slouchy boots I was considering. I've always wanted a pair of slouchy leather boots, but is it just me, or does the leather look terrible?)

Boots

Detail of Leather

Just checking with you guys, see if anyone has an opinion on Hare's quality, any opinions on the pieces. Thanks!

again, sorry about the sizes. if they're offending anyone I can turn them into text links. Faust?

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• khiev
                            • Nov 2006

[quote user="minomni"]that's a good problem to have. i'm sure you can be persuaded into an interesting combination of ccp/cdiem pieces at atelier.
                            [/quote]

Sure is- however, I don't think that picking up 5 pieces worth $1K would truly compare to a magnificent jacket worth $5K, besides, I'm in the market for a leather jacket. I'll be stopping by Maxfield and A. in early jan. and late jan. so you never know what might tempt me. Does anyone know when A and Maxfield's will be getting their new shipments?

Comment

• onemancult
                              • Dec 2006

Pic size's fine for me, not distorting the page or anything.

Hare's quality, as far as I know, is definitely not the best in the world, but
                              it is far from the worst. Anyone who's actually seen/owned more than a few
                              random pieces should give you some better information.

I say yes to the slouchy leather boots.

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

[quote user="onemancult"]

I say yes to the slouchy leather boots.

[/quote]

Ah, damnit OMC, now that you've got me re-considering I can't make up my mind. I'm trying to decided which ones I'd get more use out of; it seems like either one would work pretty well with most anything. The slightly squared off toe on the first is sort of bugging me now, but still... Decisions, decisions...

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎