X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jurassicsnark
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    "One of life's fundamental needs is to be listened to. Thank you for allowing me to feel heard." I mean, can you love him any more?
    Such a beautiful sentiment, and so true. I just watched "The Artist Is Present," the documentary about Marina Abramović's MoMA show, and it shows that one of life's fundamental needs is to be seen, too...

Comment

• upsilonkng
      • May 2010

Originally posted by jurassicsnark View Post
      Such a beautiful sentiment, and so true. I just watched "The Artist Is Present," the documentary about Marina Abramović's MoMA show, and it shows that one of life's fundamental needs is to be seen, too...
      oh yeah that documentary "the Racist is present" about the staring contest, not eye opening in anyway except that people really do believe whatever is in museums is art when in fact is just a racist staring contest.

Comment

• ilovediorhomme
        • May 2016

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
        oh yeah that documentary "the Racist is present" about the staring contest, not eye opening in anyway except that people really do believe whatever is in museums is art when in fact is just a racist staring contest.
        Why is Abramovic's work "racist" ? Just asking...

Comment

• upsilonkng
          • May 2010

did u miss this quote about aboriginal's??
          “They look like dinosaurs. They are really strange and different, and they should be treated as living treasures. Yet they are not.

“But at the same time, when you first meet them, you have to put effort into it. For one thing, to Western eyes they look terrible. Their faces are like no other faces on earth; they have big torsos (just one bad result of their encounter with Western civilisation is a high sugar diet that bloats their bodies) and sticklike legs.”

also her work is a joke, staring contest? running into walls? its mostly Jackass shit but not funny and assuming its some high art when most of it is just slapstick. there is no one on earth that deserves the term "dont believe the hype" more than her.

Comment

• Nickefuge
            • Nov 2014

No offense, but often times when I read your posts I have a feeling you have an unbalanced personality. Always so strongly opinionated and not liking most things. I'm not implying that that’s necessarily bad, it’s just something I’ve noticed.

Anyways, without defending the quote in question, but here’s more info about it for anyone who hasn’t read about it yet.

Of course, Marina is getting a lot of attention nowadays. Nonetheless I think one should give her credit for performing for so many years and keep pursuing her vision with such persistence (that’s a character trait I love about Rick as well). She was pushing the genre when it was still being doubted by the art world.
            "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
            -Paris Hilton

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Love you upsilongkng, but you can't really diss Marina. I think she's lost the plot a little in recent years (David Blaine??), but her early work is strong and singular.
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• jurassicsnark
                • Sep 2015

Thank you, Nickefuge, for providing a bit of context.

Yes, that quote — out of context — can sound really bad. But if you take it in the context of what she was discussing at the time — how we as humans have lost touch with the fact that we belong to the planet just as plants and animals and rocks do... She was actually talking about how she learned so much from spending time with Aboriginal people, and she credits them with helping and healing her. If you actually read the book and think about the context of her life and her work, and if you remember that English is not her first (or second) language, it is very clear that she actually has a tremendous respect and reverence for the Aboriginal people of Australia.

Comment

• magic
                  • Feb 2009

Rick Owens 'Furniture' Exhibition

Focusing on object details

Comment

• newp
                    • Feb 2013

So what do you think about Rick going to m_moriabc price category?

I am not sure if the boots are actual shell cordovan, IIRC Hood Rubber (the brand Rick Owens has collaborated with to make these boots, i.e. the actual shoemakers behind it) don't have any experience with shell, but if it's just a cordovan as stated then what is the point of mentioning "few tanneries"?

Comment

• grendelshrieks
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by newp View Post
                      So what do you think about Rick going to m_moriabc price category?

I am not sure if the boots are actual shell cordovan, IIRC Hood Rubber (the brand Rick Owens has collaborated with to make these boots, i.e. the actual shoemakers behind it) don't have any experience with shell, but if it's just a cordovan as stated then what is the point of mentioning "few tanneries"?
                      because shell cordovan has a brand attached to it, just like cashmere (used to.) yes, it's produced by just a few tanneries in the world: that is true. of course, all of those tanneries excepting horween produce -- relative to horween -- absolute garbage. naturally, owenscorp is not using horween cordovan, or the copy would say so. but they can subsist on the branding of shell cordovan which horween helped to establish.

i think the "price category" is actually distinct from m_moriabc. as far as i understand, the m_moriabc shoes are priced as cheaply as possible relative to incredibly high production costs with margins so slim as to be objectionable. on the other hand, owenscorp production costs are actually shockingly low. but now that m_moriabc has set a precedent for this kind of pricing, the shrewd owenscorp market researchers see an opportunity to sell boots at this pricepoint (as long as they are in "cordovan") with production costs of, i would estimate at the top, around 400 euro per pair. i.e. margins in excess of 4000 euro. even if they sell five pairs of those, and they will, already the venture has been worth their time. it's not like anyone posting in this thread can tell the difference between a shoe that was lasted by hand or on a machine anyway (or for that matter, the difference between horween hides and so-called "shell cordovan" produced in any other tannery.)

Comment

• upsilonkng
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by grendelshrieks View Post
                        because shell cordovan has a brand attached to it, just like cashmere (used to.) yes, it's produced by just a few tanneries in the world: that is true. of course, all of those tanneries excepting horween produce -- relative to horween -- absolute garbage. naturally, owenscorp is not using horween cordovan, or the copy would say so. but they can subsist on the branding of shell cordovan which horween helped to establish.

i think the "price category" is actually distinct from m_moriabc. as far as i understand, the m_moriabc shoes are priced as cheaply as possible relative to incredibly high production costs with margins so slim as to be objectionable. on the other hand, owenscorp production costs are actually shockingly low. but now that m_moriabc has set a precedent for this kind of pricing, the shrewd owenscorp market researchers see an opportunity to sell boots at this pricepoint (as long as they are in "cordovan") with production costs of, i would estimate at the top, around 400 euro per pair. i.e. margins in excess of 4000 euro. even if they sell five pairs of those, and they will, already the venture has been worth their time. it's not like anyone posting in this thread can tell the difference between a shoe that was lasted by hand or on a machine anyway (or for that matter, the difference between horween hides and so-called "shell cordovan" produced in any other tannery.)
                        honestly if the margin's are so small and how would u know what is the fuckin point? its not picasso and i dont want to say that cordovan horween horse shell is overrated but can anything be more overrated? theres a dude here that makes wallets w/ that and im pretty sure they arent fuckin $5000 , no pair of boots to me has the appeal of $5000 sorry. and that definitely includes these ugly rick boots and all M Moriabc boots. maybe if ccp did horse shell tornado dipped in cocaine in translucent otherwise im good.

Comment

• Arkady
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
                          did u miss this quote about aboriginal's??
                          “They look like dinosaurs. They are really strange and different, and they should be treated as living treasures. Yet they are not.

“But at the same time, when you first meet them, you have to put effort into it. For one thing, to Western eyes they look terrible. Their faces are like no other faces on earth; they have big torsos (just one bad result of their encounter with Western civilisation is a high sugar diet that bloats their bodies) and sticklike legs.”

also her work is a joke, staring contest? running into walls? its mostly Jackass shit but not funny and assuming its some high art when most of it is just slapstick. there is no one on earth that deserves the term "dont believe the hype" more than her.
                          Hahahaha it really is slapstick. Always fun to watch aesthetes defend someone whose recent output revolves around eating blood with Lady Gaga, carving pentagrams into herself and predicting earthquakes -- such high concepts! Joseph Beuys, Yoko Ono and Vito Acconci were pioneers, at least.
                          Last edited by Arkady; 06-30-2017, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• veos
                            • Sep 2016

Originally posted by newp View Post
                            agreed, real shell just does not crease like that. these days too many people just use cordovan and horse leather interchangeably
                            https://www.instagram.com/_isochron/

Comment

• magic
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by veos View Post
                              agreed, real shell just does not crease like that. these days too many people just use cordovan and horse leather interchangeably
                              Did you actually read their description? They didn't mention 'shell' cordovan. Horse leather has been described as cordovan by tanneries too.
                              Focusing on object details

Comment

• veos
                                • Sep 2016

Originally posted by magic View Post
                                Did you actually read their description? They didn't mention 'shell' cordovan. Horse leather has been described as cordovan by tanneries too.
                                i did fully read the description, yes. out of pure curiosity, which tanneries are you referring to?
                                https://www.instagram.com/_isochron/

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎